Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 06:01 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You can put the baby in a carrier and take her on public transit. She is NOT too young for that.

And, as I posted in my previous post, NYC buses are adding baby carriage space so that you don't have to collapse the carriage to ride the bus!

But I think part of the OP's problem can be solved by pharmaceuticals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 10:52 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shill22 View Post
Not necessarily, because we’re tired from being up at night with the LO and by the time we get up to go outside he has to get ready to go to work.

We struggle to make it to morning doctor appointments. That morning window isn’t that much time especially if I’m exhausted.
Sleep deprivation is a real issue with newborns. What worked for me was that my wife and I took turns. One night, I was "on duty," meaning that I would respond to any cries in the night while my wife stayed sleeping. Next night, she handled the nocturnal baby needs while I remained sleeping. We both found this to be very helpful.

Old 06-24-2023, 11:05 PM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
And, as I posted in my previous post, NYC buses are adding baby carriage space so that you don't have to collapse the carriage to ride the bus!

Why do you think that part of the OP's problem "can be solved by pharmaceuticals"? I didn't see any indication in her posts that suggests she needs them.

When our daughter was born, I was in a fog and in a funk for 3 weeks. Sometimes I would cry for no particular reason. I was also dealing with sleep deprivation and a daughter who was refusing to breast feed. When the 3 weeks was over, I felt a lot better. For me, what also was a tremendous help was that our daughter started sleeping through the night when she was 5 weeks old. (That, I've read had to do with her being bottle fed). Having some depression in the beginning is normal, in part because one's hormones get out of whack. Add to that the adjustments to new routines now that there is a new family member.

It's when the fog doesn't start lifting after a month, then it's time to talk to your doctor.

Old 06-25-2023, 03:32 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

Having your first baby is like starting a new job. It just takes time adjusting to the new job.
I have friends that had babies and they had all kinds of support around them. Not everyone has that. I remember feeling very alone.
I loved having my second baby--I was much more comfortable. I had learned all the tricks.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:40 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

Having your first baby is like starting a new job. It just takes time adjusting to the new job.
I have friends that had babies and they had all kinds of support around them. Not everyone has that. I remember feeling very alone.
I loved having my second baby--I was much more comfortable. I had learned all the tricks.
All true!

I hope the OP comes back with an update!

We would love to hear about how she's doing!

Old 07-29-2023, 12:47 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,679,759 times
Human babies are probably the most helpless infants of all. The baby is reliant on you for everything right now, and it can get very boring, but it's temporary. You've had some good suggestions. And when the child's walking and ready to explore more on foot, you'll find places and ways to insert the child where there are more adults. It's a ways down the road but preschool will be a plus, too.

Old 07-29-2023, 01:48 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Can you drive your husband to work so you can have the car? Might be worth it a few days.

It sounds like you have a good baby, I haven't heard too many new mothers complain about boredom. Lack of sleep? Yes.

How about trying to find other Moms on Nextdoor and see if you can set up a play date (more for you than a 2 month old).

In the meantime I would be using extra time to clean out closets, learn new recipes, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-29-2023, 07:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Can you drive your husband to work so you can have the car? Might be worth it a few days.

It sounds like you have a good baby, I haven't heard too many new mothers complain about boredom. Lack of sleep? Yes.

How about trying to find other Moms on Nextdoor and see if you can set up a play date (more for you than a 2 month old).

In the meantime I would be using extra time to clean out closets, learn new recipes, etc.
I agree. Get together with other moms, and really enjoy this time. Most of this interaction would happen before your husband needs the car for second shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting