Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 10:03 AM

5,687 posts, read 5,930,067 times

Advertisements

Just wait until hes 14! Hereally wont care then!!!

Old 06-26-2023, 10:20 AM

16,712 posts, read 8,425,282 times
People also need to remember that 7 year olds have different individual interests. some kids love legos, some don't. Some love riding bikes, some don't, some love pokemon, some don't, some love to color, some dont. I think parents tend to put their own interests on the kids and get upset when they don't want to do it.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:21 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,713,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
OP-he's 7. He isn't likely interested in your things yet and may never be.
Even at age 7, it’s still best to have kids doing more formal instruction/teams. I know people who put their kids into relatively low commitment rec teams/leagues that last a few months. If they like it, they can continue. If not, they can find something else. I don’t know any parent that expects to be the sole teacher of their children. Team sports are best actually in the team setting. Local park districts usually offer fairly affordable options.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:34 AM

32,703 posts, read 48,261,883 times
There isn't much you can do to change a lazy person into a hard working motivated person. If he is lazy, he's always going to be lazy.

My suggestion is to get him away from the video games and try lots of different activities, until he finds something that clicks. If nothing else, he will have the background to understand at least marginally, how things work.

Love him unconditionally. Have some firm rules that are calmly enforced 100% so he has some structure. Don't let him eat junk food and limit the sugar. Healthy food only, no chips, no cupcakes, no soda pop, no food at the computer.

Because he needs to learn structure, food is eaten at the table and no where else (sorry, but that means the parents, too, because you must set the example). He's only seven, but it is not too early to train him to accept structure in his life.

I would set the rule, no computer games until after the home work is done and checked by the parent. Parent should show interest in the homework and make sure it is done right and that the student understands it. Success in school starts young because each lesson is built on the previous one.

You don't get to decide what he is interested in. He may never like sports. If he likes computers, see if you can find an after school program that teaches kids how a computer works. That would be useful knowledge and perhaps a lifelong career for him.

I don't have much else to offer. My kids was always a go-getter with lots of interests, but I suspect it is genetic. Yes, starting when he was very young, he would follow me around and help with my work, and that probably helped to teach him to work, but he was born without that lazy bone that so many kids seem to have. So, I never had to deal with a kid who didn't want to do anything.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:42 AM

16,712 posts, read 8,425,282 times
This is true that some kids are just more motivated than others. I see differences in my own kids...my son has more energy and doesn't get as tired as my daughter does in sports or just taking a walk. I actually empathize with her as I was the same way, the heat kills her too.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:44 AM

45,568 posts, read 60,845,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Even at age 7, it’s still best to have kids doing more formal instruction/teams. I know people who put their kids into relatively low commitment rec teams/leagues that last a few months. If they like it, they can continue. If not, they can find something else. I don’t know any parent that expects to be the sole teacher of their children. Team sports are best actually in the team setting. Local park districts usually offer fairly affordable options.
That's fine but it doesn't seem that the kid has a choice. It sounds like Dad wants the kid to be interested in what he likes to do with very little input from the son.

And some of the rest of you-STOP SAYING THE KID IS LAZY!

Old 06-26-2023, 11:08 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's fine but it doesn't seem that the kid has a choice. It sounds like Dad wants the kid to be interested in what he likes to do with very little input from the son.

And some of the rest of you-STOP SAYING THE KID IS LAZY!
Yeah, I found calling a 7 year old lazy inappropriate.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-26-2023, 11:08 AM

1,462 posts, read 664,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I've taught myself a lot of talents ( sports, music, arts etc ) over the years. Whenever I try and teach him a skill he says I am forcing him. Not sure if I just need to accept that he is not into learning new things?

I figure he gets his personality from his Mom who is the opposite of me. Much more go with the flow, loosey goosey and people oriented than me. I am highly disciplined and obsessive about learning.
Some of your answers are listed above. You taught yourself a lot of talents.
No one pressured you into learning them, right?

Your son sounds very perceptive and bright. At age 7 he is telling you that he feels pressure from you says you are forcing himwhen you teach him. Maybe that should be your cue to back off.

Your son may be the one to teach you how to relax and enjoy yourself. You can learn to leave your obsessive in control Type A tendencies at work.

You seem like a Dad who really cares and wants to do a good job with your son. Kids seem to be pretty much who they are when they're born. IMO. Can't really change that nor should anyone want to. I know that you don't want to give him the message that he's 'less than' because he has a different personality and interests.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:36 AM

17,472 posts, read 16,654,588 times
Quote:
If he's in charge then he would spend all day watching videos. So some "forcing" is necessary to learn stuff like reading, writing, math etc..

In my opinion, the videos are fluff.
I stayed at home when my kids were young and I had them on a predictable schedule. There was a time for video games or t.v. during the day but the rest of the day was spent running errands, going to the playground or a kid friendly activity/venue, visits with grandparents.

They got quiet time in the afternoon where they could kick back and watch t.v. In the early evenings we would go to scout meetings and any other activity they happened to be involved in. In the evenings we had a routine of reading, dinner, baths, bedtime.

He's only 7, so if he's involved in a couple of structured activities that's probably enough at that age. You don't want to overdo it.

Have you taught him how to ride a bike, shoot basketballs, fly a kite, swim at the pool, fish in a lake with the focus being more on having some laid back quality time and fun with him?

Old 06-26-2023, 12:06 PM

78,675 posts, read 60,878,962 times
Quote:
I've taught myself a lot of talents ( sports, music, arts etc ) over the years. But my son has minimal to no interest when I try and teach him these things. I always give him a choice, like let's do drums, chess or computers. But he always prefers to watch YouTube videos. Occasionally he will do soccer and basketball with me. I do my best to make it fun and not get upset when me makes mistakes. Whenever I try and teach him a skill he says I am forcing him. Not sure if I just need to accept that he is not into learning new things?

I figure he gets his personality from his Mom who is the opposite of me. Much more go with the flow, loosey goosey and people oriented than me. I am highly disciplined and obsessive about learning.
Please don't take this personally, but you sound like my father...a great person but absolutely the last person you would want teaching you something.

I'd think long and hard about how you teach rather than ascribe it to the sons personality and then make adjustments.

P.S. What if you two made some youtube videos together and started a channel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting