Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 03:25 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times

Advertisements

OP Dad

You need to find out what your child is interested in rather than impose your own interests on him.
If you wish to share your talents with children talk to teachers and see if they need volunteers or "show and tell" to your kids class.

I was made to take piano lessons as a child but I was a visual artist, as a child and later adult. HATED piano lessons (not the teacher she was OK). My youngest brother got to take sailing lessons, that was never offered to me but I think my brother walked to the park and signed himself up lol.

Kinda late now but for next year start now to find out what KIND of camp your kid would like. I finally got to go to camp as a teenager and loved being away from home, a school friend and I got to hang together there and moan about how awful it was. It wasn't that bad but teenagers like to moan.

Do things with your kid you both have fun doing. Otherwise you will be mad and your kid will be sad.

Old 06-26-2023, 03:43 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
While most kids will prefer internet stuff over other activities, it's the parents job to limit screen time.

This is a 7 year old, not a teen.

You don't want to force them into things against their nature, but you want to expose them to a lot of things in a fun way.
I think a parent should be engaging their child to help them find their passions, and for the sheer enjoyment of spending time with their child and learning who they are. Not wanting the child to fulfill their desires to be an instructor.
This. Learn the difference between exposing and teaching.

I am not saying parents should not attempt to teach their kids important life skills, but this discussion seems to be more about elective (ie: fun) activities. "Fun" is subjective and personal.

My father was very much a disciplinarian/teacher. Of course, his intentions were good...he wanted to impart skills and interests he felt would serve us well in future. We were required to learn what he chose to share. If we didn't get it, we had to continue on until he was satisfied the point had been made. Didn't matter whether it was recreational or something practical. Consequently, we learned to dodge his "classes" and unfortunately, learned to dislike/hate the very subject matter he felt so worthy.

My mother OTOH was more of an exposer. Maybe she was an uber-strategic teacher too subtle to detect, but I don't consider her a devious manipulative person overall. She'd take us along to things she enjoyed or felt might be interesting, informative, and fun. It was left up to us how much to engage or decide to learn...or not. Parent and kid ended up in sort of a partnership during these experiences. Expectations were very low. If nothing "took" the experience wasn't repeated. Even as far as books. She'd bring them home and sort of leave them around instead of telling us why we should read them directly. Consequently, we eagerly looked forward to the next "adventure" she seemed to arrange so innocently .

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-26-2023 at 05:11 PM..

Old 06-26-2023, 04:49 PM

7,927 posts, read 3,469,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
So I am not allowed to teach him anything? Right now he is not learning anything from me. Sounds like I need to put him in camps or get him tutor/coaches to teach him anything I could teach him?
Part of a parent's job may be to teach their kids particular skills that they are good at but not always. The particulars are up to the kids themselves, unless their interests and talents just happen to match your own. The thing you should always try to teach your kids is life skills, how to cope, how to live and prosper in society. And the good(or bad?) news is that you're doing that whether you know you are or not by your example, and you can also impart wisdom to your kids through seemingly casual but pointed conversations. I don't say this in a preachy way. I have had both successes and failures in that regard with my own children. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2023, 06:50 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
The kid is 7. Hey! Teacher, leave them kids alone.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:51 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Maybe OPs goal is to raise a genius?

Old 06-26-2023, 07:58 PM

16,407 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe OPs goal is to raise a genius?
And you think that is normal? You can't create a genius. You're either born highly intelligent or you're not. To say you want to raise a genius is like saying I want to raise an NFL player. The odds are slim.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:15 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
And you think that is normal? You can't create a genius. You're either born highly intelligent or you're not. To say you want to raise a genius is like saying I want to raise an NFL player. The odds are slim.
Parents can be the most damaging narcissists.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:13 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I've taught myself a lot of talents ( sports, music, arts etc ) over the years. But my son has minimal to no interest when I try and teach him these things. I always give him a choice, like let's do drums, chess or computers. But he always prefers to watch YouTube videos. Occasionally he will do soccer and basketball with me. I do my best to make it fun and not get upset when me makes mistakes. Whenever I try and teach him a skill he says I am forcing him. Not sure if I just need to accept that he is not into learning new things?

I figure he gets his personality from his Mom who is the opposite of me. Much more go with the flow, loosey goosey and people oriented than me. I am highly disciplined and obsessive about learning.
Dude, you knew this lot had guns yet you gave them bullets!

Quite honestly you picked wrong crowd for any sort of constructive advice or support.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:36 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Wrong. Studies show that parents who nurture their children's talent by providing the right guidance and training are making geniuses.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...mart-children/

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/08/m...-a-genius.html

Eh... Google it.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:37 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Wrong. Studies show that parents who nurture their children's talent by providing the right guidance and training are making geniuses.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...mart-children/

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/08/m...-a-genius.html

Eh... Google it.
Can't read the nytimes article - paywall - but the scientific american article does not really support your contention. The "Study of Mathematically Precocious Youth", SMPY, started with children who were already identified as gifted. The focus is on how to best develop those innate gifts. So it isn't about "how to make your child a genius", but about "how to best raise your child who is a genius".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting