Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 02:02 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times

Advertisements

Yes, but he’s not my child.. he’s my MIL’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 07:17 AM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
We have only one child by choice, because we both came from families with significant sibling rivalry (his two older sisters.) and middle child having all sorts of drama/tantrum even as an adult who accused parents of favoring other siblings that eventually the said child cut the entire family off. (My older sister)-we only have one so she’ll always be our favorite.

I do believe try as the parents may, they do have a favorite child in mind. We have three cats, even my husband and I said in private we do prefer one who is particularly funny and yells for attention.-we love them all but we do (sometimes unknowingly) give the fatso more attention and talk about him more. If we have favorite cat, people will be likely to have a favorite child, although it’s better the parents won’t admit it or show outward.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:51 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
We had yours, mine, and ours kids, so they were all very different, but each had their own distinct charm….and still do. They have all made us proud in their own way.

Old 02-08-2024, 08:58 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
A bit like asking if I like pizza or ice cream better. Sometimes I prefer one over the other, maybe it depends on my mood that day, but I wouldn't want an exclusive diet of one over the other, that's no fun.

Old 02-15-2024, 02:53 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
No but my parents favorite of all the grandchildren is my youngest.

Old 02-15-2024, 11:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
My youngest is my favorite. I love them the same and treat them the same but I get along better and prefer being with my youngest.
I always felt my second oldest sister was always my mothers favorite. I really dont think dad thought much about any of us one way or the other. Having 3 daughters and then finally a son at age 50 one would think my brother would have been his favorite.

Old 02-16-2024, 01:34 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
Yes. Everybody does but they won't admit it, even on an anonymous posting board. Admitting something like that to themselves makes them very uncomfortable so they feel it is an outrageous thought/question. But the answer is yes. Just like everyone has a friend they like best, or a pet they like best, etc.

Old 02-16-2024, 03:26 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
My kids are adults and I've thought about this but I actually don't have a favorite because my daughter and son are completely different in so many wonderful ways that it would be hard to pick. If I had to describe them I'd say my daughter is a doer while my son is a thinker, and I appreciate both those things.

Old 03-01-2024, 12:22 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Yes. Everybody does but they won't admit it, even on an anonymous posting board. Admitting something like that to themselves makes them very uncomfortable so they feel it is an outrageous thought/question. But the answer is yes. Just like everyone has a friend they like best, or a pet they like best, etc.
My kids are only 3 and 9 months but I don't have a true favorite, yet anyway. I will report back in 5 or so years once their personalities come in.

However, I will say I can imagine it would be HARD to choose a favorite. As it is now, I find them so different and unique that it would be hard to have a favorite. I imagine that's how many parents feel.

Still, I can imagine that kids can go through swings where one is a total PITA and the other is an angel so you might have a favorite kid at that moment. Kind of how I feel towards my parents where I like one more than the other at certain times.

Old 03-02-2024, 02:00 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Came from a family of 7.
Everyone of would give counterpoints why one of us either was, or wasn't the favorite with my mom.
Funniest thing was during the weeks leading up to my mom's passing we talked of this. Woman to woman. She was honest . She was truthful . She deserved to open up on this topic. My eldest brother was her favorite . Then she gave her solid points. I was nothing short of listening and understanding. My eldest brother set the foundation for how she would raise the rest of us. As unique as we each were. I had to give props to my mom for being able to not hide from that mindset. I wasn't hurt . ( Okay maybe a smidge). As a lady , and a mom I got what she was conveying. None of us kids were anything but loved by her. She didn't dislike us . She didn't turn her back on us even though I questioned some of my brothers unkind ways towards her.
My bio dad definitely made it known who his favorite was .. If you were male , you were his favorite. Nuff said.

My kids each are in my favor though. Proud of them . Unique and aspiring . Though sometimes I wonder who raised them... We have our differences for sure. Yet oddly they both have still made me marvel at their maturity and good ethics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting