Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 07:00 PM

1,119 posts, read 606,309 times

Advertisements

Unless you are some all loving angel with no ego or judgement, I guarantee you will have a favourite child.

Granted, in some families the children can be all very similar and therefore hard to have a clear favourite.

I have a niece and a nephew. I love them both and care about them immensely. They are both good people with good morals and are not criminals (that I know of lol).

But if I was forced to answer the question - my niece is my favourite. She has a much stronger work ethic, she is not as "entitled" as her brother.

I know parents are suppose to love their kids "unconditionally". But I'm sure liking them is not mandatory lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 11:39 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
I love all three of ours equally. We have 43 month old identical twin boys and a 14 month old daughter. There are some different challenges, but I don’t favor one over another because they’re a bit different. Ask me again when #4 arrives in late September or early October.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:35 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I can honestly say I don't have a favorite child. My kids are also 7 and 9...so that could change I guess? lol. I would think whoever keeps in touch with me the most might be my 'fav' but I'd love them both the same.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:14 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
My relationships with my kids are too complicated for me to have a definitive favorite. When they were growing up, we'd go through phases where one of them was being super challenging to deal with and the other was pretty much fine and cooperative, but it was never long before they traded off those roles.

As young adults, I think that I'm closer to my younger son, but a lot of that is because he's needed a ton more help. He has had serious mental health and then addiction and relationship and life problems. He stresses me out, but we are close because I care enough to keep helping, though I have had to work on some boundaries and step it back financially. But when you are the one person that someone with schizo-type mental issues really trusts, frankly...in a way, it's a moral obligation to try and be there for them. If only to talk to when they are losing their grip on reality, when you are the one voice that can guide them back. At least, that's how I feel about it. When his delusions tell him that everyone is his enemy, he still trusts me. That means something to me, even when it's hard to be that person.

My older son...he's got some issues, too, but nowhere near as severe or taxing to help with. Of course I love him and I'm proud of him, but we are not as close because he does not need or necessarily want his parents to be extremely close. He's trying to make his own way and I am proud of him for that. We still talk, and our relationship feels fine, good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting