Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 12:08 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Appreciate the detailed response
When you say consequences what specifically would you do ?
He’s 9 yr now , meds were started at 8 yr old and he’s at the lowest dose possible
Sports is something I need to look into further , he’s not very good at them
I wanted him to join scouts too but mom is opposed to it

Please share any other pearls on how you raised your kids
I'd be curious as to what your wife's objections are to Boy Scouts. It might help in offering some potential alternatives.

My son's behavior started deteriorating around that same age. And Minecraft was a big part of it. I could never understand why; the game itself is pretty benign, yet the more he played it, the worse he got. And it was just that one game; when he played other things on the computer, he didn't have the issues. The solution, of course, was to limit the time he was allowed to play Minecraft. But that came with its own set of issues and challenges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 04:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'd be curious as to what your wife's objections are to Boy Scouts. It might help in offering some potential alternatives.

My son's behavior started deteriorating around that same age. And Minecraft was a big part of it. I could never understand why; the game itself is pretty benign, yet the more he played it, the worse he got. And it was just that one game; when he played other things on the computer, he didn't have the issues. The solution, of course, was to limit the time he was allowed to play Minecraft. But that came with its own set of issues and challenges.
she says its too much for her as most meetings are at a time when I cannot take him as I'm working

Old 04-02-2024, 04:16 PM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times
How do 9-10 yrs old think ? What is the best way to reason with them ?

Old 04-02-2024, 07:14 PM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
How do 9-10 yrs old think ? What is the best way to reason with them ?
With humor and the less words the better.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:17 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'd be curious as to what your wife's objections are to Boy Scouts. It might help in offering some potential alternatives...

I expect the abuse scandals have taken a toll on the BS programs.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:12 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I expect the abuse scandals have taken a toll on the BS programs.
Most likely. Sad situation.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:01 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He's having meltdowns with her, because he trusts her to continue loving him and not turn on him, and it's a safe place for him to vent his frustrations.

He keeps his frustrations in check all day, in less safe environments to express them, and he deposits them on her. So he can get through keeping them in check in other places.

^^^ This ^^^

Also age 9/10 is when school work becomes increasingly more abstract and complex. It's when learning differences become apparent.

It may be that he's just adjusting to a (1) different type of school work (not rote, but abstract), (2) social interaction are more complex (puberty), or (3) learning differences.

Ask your son's teacher if there are any changes in his school work or his moods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting