Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 04:02 PM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times

Advertisements

Hi

Just wanted to ask if there is any advice parents are willing to share with me regarding my son

He’s an average kid does OK in school ( A & B usually) but needs a lot of prompting to do his homework

Gets along well with peers

Biggest issue is he has his meltdowns and temper tantrum, even now specially, with his mother

He has ADHD Well-controlled on the lower dose of medication

My biggest concern is, I don’t want him to drift into drugs, or gangs, or any such activity. We do have him in a really nice school and try to keep track of his friends and be friends with their parents.

He does do martial arts as extra curricular , but plays a lot of Minecraft

Any suggestions esp of what to do in summer time ? My family is about 3 Hour Dr. away so we cannot go there all the time but we can visit every other weekend but other than that any other suggestions?

Summer camp options here are very limited where we live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 12:20 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Admittedly I don't live in an area where gangs are a problem but I think what you're doing is probably the best you can do. I'm not sure that the meltdowns and temper tantrums will correlate to gang or drug activities. If those are a concern you can always seek professional help.

Old 01-21-2024, 03:21 PM

314 posts, read 222,285 times
How old is he? What is your reaction to him when he is having a tantrum?

Old 01-21-2024, 10:51 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Wow. So you don't want him to drift into drugs, but you have him on drugs? It's no different...just legally accepted behavorial change through medication.

Every kid has ADHD, they have energy. Maybe rethink the situation and evaluate your dedication level.

Old 01-21-2024, 11:58 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miso Blu View Post
How old is he? What is your reaction to him when he is having a tantrum?
Thread title...

Old 01-22-2024, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Wow. So you don't want him to drift into drugs, but you have him on drugs? It's no different...just legally accepted behavorial change through medication.

Every kid has ADHD, they have energy. Maybe rethink the situation and evaluate your dedication level.
Making quite the leap by saying prescribed medication and street drugs are the same don't you think?

Old 01-22-2024, 07:33 AM

40 posts, read 21,528 times
Ignore the meds post from above. I think what you're doing is just fine. He's busy, you know who his friends are, etc. What I've learned from having a 16 year old and a 13 year old is that no matter what you do you cannot control them. You cannot be with them 24/7. My 13 year old has been an angel and we're hoping he stays that way. My 16 year old, right around 12 started to change. He was always the kid that followed rules, did well in school and cared about his grades and was overall a good kid. Around 12 he started to change. He was downright mean and we chalked it up to puberty and hormones. The nastiness went away around 13, but something in him had changed. He stopped caring about school as much, friends were in and out of the picture and his whole demeanor was different. Around 15 he started getting involved with weed, has been suspended from school for vaping, failing classes. He's on meds for depression, counseling, but he just doesn't care. What I'm trying to say is that no matter what you do they are going to do what they want to do. I'm not saying you should allow it or be ok with it, but if they really want to do something they will find a way. For now, keep doing what you are doing and if your spidey senses ever start tingling trust your instincts.

Old 01-22-2024, 10:01 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
1. Limit the Minecraft to weekends/holidays/vacation only. Give him a heads up before he has to stop for lunch, dinner, etc. but stick to the schedule he is given.
2. Getting A's & B's is above average unless you have him in a Gifted program where everyone is expected to get A's & B's. Remember that.
3. Consequence for tantrums if it's over some trivial nonsense like a TV show or video game. Outbursts should not be tolerated if your son has ADHD but is otherwise neurotypical.
4. Join Cub Scouts with him. They usually have summer day camp programs (you should volunteer and take the week off from work) and camping trips you can go on with him.
5. Consider a rec team sport in addition to the martial arts. If you are not a sports guy (not interested in coaching) then maybe be a scorekeeper or just attend his games. But only if he really wants to play. There are often summer programs for sports.

That's all I have, except I'd reconsider ADHD meds for a 6 year old boy. My wife and I have raised two well-adjusted male college graduates.

Old 01-22-2024, 11:02 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Making quite the leap by saying prescribed medication and street drugs are the same don't you think?
Not really. And this is from someone who is a recovering addict to prescribed Adderall.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Not really. And this is from someone who is a recovering addict to prescribed Adderall.
Is this really common? Also congratulations on your recovery. That's always an accomplishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting