Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 2,315 times

Advertisements

We have three kids: A 14yr old boy, an 11yr old girl, and a 5yr old girl.

The 14yr old boy wants to stay up all night gaming, swears in most of his sentences, and thinks we are the strictest parents in the world.

On school nights we take his phone from him at 9:30pm. It is often a massive battle. He thinks he should have devices until at least midnight, or preferably all night long.
Often he will sneak another device into his room by creeping into our bedroom and taking one while we sleep, or hoarding older devices that we were not aware of. I often catch him gaming in the middle of the night but if he hears me coming, he quickly switches off the game and then denies everything.
He refuses to go to bed either way and often keeps family members awake with all his noise. When approached, he will say “sure, I’ll keep it down”, but will be noisy again almost immediately. If I start losing my patience, and threatening him with “no devices tomorrow” or something similar, he will yell at the top of his lungs, call me the C word, punch the walls, tell me to "F off", tell me I'm mentally abusing him, tell me he hates me, etc. I will sometimes visit him five times in the night because his noise is preventing me from sleeping, to try to get him to stop making noise and go to bed.
He has zero interest in school or doing chores. His only chore is to do the dishes once every two days, and he says we should be grateful to him for doing this job for us, which we are but he makes out like it’s a huge deal and that he’s very hard done by.
When he doesn’t get his way he routinely threatens suicide or leaving. He feels he needs to get “revenge” for anything that doesn’t go his way and has a deep need to “win” any confrontation.

We don’t know what to do. We think we have all the devices over night but he often gets hold of another one.
What time are other parents seeing their 14yr old go to sleep? Are other 14yr olds doing more chores? Are we too strict? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 10:20 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Are you too strict? Is this a joke post?

If it's real....Your son's behavior is not normal. You need to get him professional help.

Old 02-01-2024, 03:25 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
Agreed.

Nice first post, though.

Old 02-01-2024, 04:57 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis_Dad View Post

The 14yr old boy wants to stay up all night gaming, swears in most of his sentences, and thinks we are the strictest parents in the world.

On school nights we take his phone from him at 9:30pm. It is often a massive battle. He thinks he should have devices until at least midnight, or preferably all night long.
Often he will sneak another device into his room by creeping into our bedroom and taking one while we sleep, or hoarding older devices that we were not aware of. I often catch him gaming in the middle of the night but if he hears me coming, he quickly switches off the game and then denies everything.
He refuses to go to bed either way and often keeps family members awake with all his noise. When approached, he will say “sure, I’ll keep it down”, but will be noisy again almost immediately. If I start losing my patience, and threatening him with “no devices tomorrow” or something similar, he will yell at the top of his lungs, call me the C word, punch the walls, tell me to "F off", tell me I'm mentally abusing him, tell me he hates me, etc. I will sometimes visit him five times in the night because his noise is preventing me from sleeping, to try to get him to stop making noise and go to bed.
He has zero interest in school or doing chores. His only chore is to do the dishes once every two days, and he says we should be grateful to him for doing this job for us, which we are but he makes out like it’s a huge deal and that he’s very hard done by.
When he doesn’t get his way he routinely threatens suicide or leaving. He feels he needs to get “revenge” for anything that doesn’t go his way and has a deep need to “win” any confrontation.

We don’t know what to do. We think we have all the devices over night but he often gets hold of another one.
What time are other parents seeing their 14yr old go to sleep? Are other 14yr olds doing more chores? Are we too strict? Any advice?
He needs anger management first, then maybe later you can have a rational discussion. Good therapists can be hard to find, so start now.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:01 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:

You're not strict enough.

Old 02-01-2024, 07:24 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
call me the C word, punch the walls, tell me to "F off"
Your son is lucky he isn't being raised by my parents. He'd have had his ass handed to him by now.

Old 02-01-2024, 07:26 AM

5,653 posts, read 3,139,106 times
If it were me...

The next time I catch him with a device he's not supposed to have, I'd take it, and keep it for a week, UNLESS he tries to sneak it back, and then I'd smash it. (I would tell him first that this is the new rule). And then I'd do the same thing with every other device, gaming system, phone, etc.

If he won't respect your need for quiet in the wee hours, take the device away. If he cusses you out, take it away, etc. And don't give these things back until he demonstrates some contrition. He should not be the boss in your own house.

Old 02-01-2024, 07:58 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I'd smash it. (I would tell him first that this is the new rule). And then I'd do the same thing with every other device, gaming system, phone, etc.

It could turn out like this

(Warning - cursing)

Old 02-01-2024, 08:00 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Are you too strict? Is this a joke post?

If it's real....Your son's behavior is not normal. You need to get him professional help.
Not just him, parents too. Any parent that lets a situation get to such a point needs professional guidance.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:13 AM

5,653 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
It could turn out like this

(Warning - cursing)

I've seen this before. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting