Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 08:00 AM

7,333 posts, read 4,124,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I feel like a lot of parents get on a high horse if they have a good eater. Just because you offer good nutritious food to your kids doesn't mean they'll eat it. There's a reason restaurants have a kids menu. I'm all for kids eating things besides nuggets and Mac and cheese
There are no kids menus in Europe. However, you are right. Some people are just more food adventurous than others. Good eaters are often born, not made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Interesting, to me, is my granddaughter got a wicked case of hives from just sitting on the island where her great grandmother had prepared eggplant. Eggplant is a nightshade and she also rejects tomatoes…. a nightshade. Maybe children’s natural rejections should be respected.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 11:59 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

To take a kinder, gentler approach, serve simple meals without complex flavors or too much variety in ingredients. Almost no kids tolerate any kind of heat/spice including black pepper.

Compartmentalize starches, vegetables, meats, and dairy in separate bowls or on a tray with dividers. Don't mix. Minimize use of sauces. Examples:

Plain flour, rice, or cauliflower noodles with optional butter, cream, or marinara sauce on the side.
A side of steamed broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, brussel sprouts, cabbage, etc. (pick one or more but don't mix)
Tortilla with melted mild cheddar cheese
Peanutbutter toast/bananna/apples/just about anything
Those dried and salted seaweed packets (as a snack)
Fruit for dessert

None of these foods are much fun for adults, but you said "healthier" not "adventurous" or "gourmet"

If you want the child to change and eat what you like to cook without you changing your own habits or preferences, then be honest and say that. (Also, again, good luck with that)
Around here, instead of the broccoli, cauliflower, and the others, he would be getting mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, etc. There's a lot of those vegetables we won't eat so I wouldn't expect him to eat them either. Chicken and noodles is a good meal.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:10 AM

16,330 posts, read 8,162,213 times
My picky son had sushi last night with salmon, avocado, and cucumber in it and he liked it! I was happy. Shockingly he liked the little bits of tobiko on top of it. He goes, what was that on top fish eggs or caviar? lol

Old 02-19-2024, 09:13 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,025 times
Quote:
Hungry children will eat. Food enforcers get what they ask for.
If you only buy healthy food, children will eat it, or starve, and they won’t starve.

As I already said, a dinner table should be a place of sharing the day, not a food battle.
I agree with this. I am 40 years old but have been an extremely picky eater my entire life. I'm talking chicken nuggets and fries and other junk until I was ~25, then with the help of literally years of therapy and medication, I was able to branch out to non-fried chicken and non-fried potatoes. That's about as far as I made it

I wish that when I was a child, my parents would have starved me until I ate fruits and veggies and other meats. I've tried this as an adult- I went on a 5 day backpacking trip with nothing but healthy food. I lost 12 pounds and ate basically nothing. I probably would have started to dip into the other food by the end of week 2. I was not overweight before I left but I was underweight when I returned; I needed to be near starvation for it to really work.

All that said, I'm extremely healthy. My bloodwork is great, my bodyweight is great, I exercise a lot so my resting heart rate is in the 40's. I have a couple abs showing and don't care enough to get the rest showing.

My biggest pet peeve is how upset everyone else gets about my eating. It makes zero impact on others, but whenever I go to a group dinner they just can't handle that I don't want an appetizer or a desert, and that I'm ok to have just a dry chicken breast with no sides.

I truly hate food. If I could get it in a pill, I would. My life is awesome but it just doesn't center around eating. There are people who live to eat and people who eat to live, I'm squarely in the latter.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:31 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I agree with this. I am 40 years old but have been an extremely picky eater my entire life. I'm talking chicken nuggets and fries and other junk until I was ~25, then with the help of literally years of therapy and medication, I was able to branch out to non-fried chicken and non-fried potatoes. That's about as far as I made it

I wish that when I was a child, my parents would have starved me until I ate fruits and veggies and other meats. I've tried this as an adult- I went on a 5 day backpacking trip with nothing but healthy food. I lost 12 pounds and ate basically nothing. I probably would have started to dip into the other food by the end of week 2. I was not overweight before I left but I was underweight when I returned; I needed to be near starvation for it to really work.

All that said, I'm extremely healthy. My bloodwork is great, my bodyweight is great, I exercise a lot so my resting heart rate is in the 40's. I have a couple abs showing and don't care enough to get the rest showing.

My biggest pet peeve is how upset everyone else gets about my eating. It makes zero impact on others, but whenever I go to a group dinner they just can't handle that I don't want an appetizer or a desert, and that I'm ok to have just a dry chicken breast with no sides.

I truly hate food. If I could get it in a pill, I would. My life is awesome but it just doesn't center around eating. There are people who live to eat and people who eat to live, I'm squarely in the latter.
Sometimes I wish I hated food, lol. I love food...too much. I am not overweight (130) but if I didn't like food I'd probably be 115.

My son is not interested in food and definitely has an aversion to certain types of food. I hope he grows out of it but i've also known people who really only wanted to eat things like chicken fingers and very basic foods into their 20's. We shouldnt make people like that feel bad but our society seems to frown up on folks who aren't open to new foods. It's almost considered racist or something if a white person doesnt like indian food or something these days. Not everyone likes spicy food.

Old 02-19-2024, 04:59 PM

50,357 posts, read 63,939,201 times
We have friends who are old, like us. Now, they live 2 hours from us. We call them TFWDLA..the friends who don’t like anything. It’s a wonder they found each other. They are a trial to go out to dinner with, since there’s hardly a place in their town where we are afraid they haven’t got a reputation, and so we will be judged. She always sends her food back, at least once. Hes not as bad.

Anyway, when we lived near each other, her husband was a truck driver, and mine was away from home fore several weeks a month, so I would invite her for dinner. I believe my evil twin was in charge. She came because she wanted to be invited somewhere, and I made foods that I wanted to make without regard for her peculiar taste. I made a few winners, like crab cakes and Caesar salad.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:05 AM

524 posts, read 245,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post

Same. After years of cooking for a family, there are times when I actively resent the amount of time and effort exhausted by food (the planning, the shopping, the preparing, the serving), especially when I’m perfectly content with a bowl of plain brown rice and some vegetables or a pb&j sandwich.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:49 AM

1,857 posts, read 881,736 times
Quote:
She always sends her food back, at least once.

I won't stay friends with people like this. They get joy from making servers feel less than human. She probably is also a lousy tipper; at least, that was my experience with the few people I knew who acted like this.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:15 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
WHAT? After you told this story of trauma, you recommend this guy do the exact same thing you had to endure?

How can you wish what you obviously HATED, on another child?

Do you now, as an adult, force yourself to eat things that make you gag?
Oh dear lord, please spare the dramatics.

That methodology works and hasn't raised a generation or two minus the ability to try different foods or having them touch one another on the same plate....nor permanently scarred them into needing some form of therapy. It's called discipline and an element clearly missing from many current-day parents.

Old 02-20-2024, 12:21 PM

people who send their food back often are awful, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting