Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 02:41 PM

743 posts, read 481,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninella View Post
Just curious to know how slow is slow? I honestly think that 3 years is more than enough time to decide if you want to be with that person or not. You do have an interesting opinion, but I personally can't understand it. I understand if they were together for a few months, then of course it is reasonable that both people would want to take things slowly, get to know each other better etc, but what is there to take slowly after 3 years? Usually after a year or two it is pretty obvious to both parties if they want to spend the rest of their lives together or not. I guess taking things slow is a subjective term, so how slow? 3 years? 5? 20? Ad a woman, if I was her I'd only see 3 options here:
A. He is committed to someone else, but really likes you, and somehow managed to keep it a secret.
B. He likes you enough, but doesn't see any future with you, so drags you along until a better option pops up
C. He has some serious fear of commitment and doesn't really want to live with anyone, get married, have kids etc, which is fine too, but if she wants that she should look for more suitable options
You make some very good points in your post above. Also, if this story is to believed, according to the OP, they are in their last year of college anyways; so what’s the big difference if they live together now, or after they graduate in a few months? And if John is so worried about finances, it makes more sense to me to live together and split the rent, utilities, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 03:05 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,004,063 times
I side with Buzz on this one. Plus why bring that kind of attention to the child at the party? Also, isn't the sugar/hyperactivity thing a myth anyway?

Old 03-28-2024, 03:19 PM

7,252 posts, read 4,630,250 times
The little guy should definitely have birthday cake at the party. Buzz is definitely right on this point.,

Old 03-28-2024, 03:25 PM

6,919 posts, read 4,931,984 times
It would be interesting to know his reasoning behind not living together besides it not fitting his planned time schedule.

Does he think she is a slob, bad with money, or what? If it is something along those lines she is unlikely to change. Is his parents paying for his place and object to her living there? That wasn't brought up. It's very vague except for it not fitting his time schedule. I can't help but think he may want to live alone as he occasionally has other women over.

They are both only 24. There's nothing wrong with either of them wanting to see other people, but it needs to be addressed between the two of them, not one person possibly trying to explore other options without the other knowing. If he's concerned about her having an opposite sex roommate it might be because he knows he isn't trustworthy and therefore assumes no one else is, either.

If he thinks she's going to fall in bed with someone just because of close proximity he doesn't trust her, and why does anyone want to be with someone they don't trust?

Old 03-28-2024, 07:41 PM

3,001 posts, read 1,678,484 times
This modern breed of mother annoys the heck out of me, they see their motherhood as a power trip along with demanding they never be crossed, corrected or inconvenienced. The elevated sense of self-worth is cringe. They also seem to think they own their children.
Good luck in 18 years, Mom.

Imagine the delusion of thinking it's appropriate to send your child to a birthday party with his own portion of low sugar... something.
How weird of her.

Not to mention putting her son in the position of having the other kids thinking he's weird.

Not to mention ruining the birthday party for him.

And then she takes it to the level of going on the radio to defend her absurd position.

Thank goodness the kid has Buz.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:16 AM

6,576 posts, read 8,434,963 times
I side with Buzz.

But both mom and dad need to have strategies for dealing w/their hyperactive child after these events since it won't be a one-off.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:20 AM

102,266 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I side with Buzz on this one. Plus why bring that kind of attention to the child at the party? Also, isn't the sugar/hyperactivity thing a myth anyway?
This is what I've been wondering. I've never seen any kids get hyperactive after eating sweets. It didn't happen to me and my siblings, cousins, and friends when we were kids. Could it be, that some kids are unusually sensitive to sugar? Has this been formally studied?

Or could the hyperactivity be due to undiagnosed celiac disease, and the child's reaction to wheat? Maybe the mother needs to have her child tested for food allergies.

Old 03-29-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is what I've been wondering. I've never seen any kids get hyperactive after eating sweets. It didn't happen to me and my siblings, cousins, and friends when we were kids. Could it be, that some kids are unusually sensitive to sugar? Has this been formally studied?

Or could the hyperactivity be due to undiagnosed celiac disease, and the child's reaction to wheat? Maybe the mother needs to have her child tested for food allergies.
From what I understand that myth was based on a flawed research study in the 70s. Is hyperactivity generally a side effect of celiac or allergies?

Old 03-29-2024, 10:06 AM

2,004 posts, read 999,533 times
I can see it from the mom's side, BUT Dad is the one taking the kid to the party, so let him deal with the aftermath. I'd just wipe my hands of it and when they come home, Buzz gets to deal with the kid being a nutcase.

Old 03-29-2024, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
This modern breed of mother annoys the heck out of me, they see their motherhood as a power trip along with demanding they never be crossed, corrected or inconvenienced. The elevated sense of self-worth is cringe. They also seem to think they own their children.
Good luck in 18 years, Mom.

Imagine the delusion of thinking it's appropriate to send your child to a birthday party with his own portion of low sugar... something.
How weird of her.

Not to mention putting her son in the position of having the other kids thinking he's weird.

Not to mention ruining the birthday party for him.

And then she takes it to the level of going on the radio to defend her absurd position.

Thank goodness the kid has Buz.
Yes, there are some loony parents out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting