Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times

Advertisements

The 7 year old is 140 pounds and is hitting her mother??

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

21 posts, read 3,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
The 7 year old is 140 pounds and is hitting her mother??
Actually 120 pounds. That was an error on my part.

Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM

1,060 posts, read 543,047 times
The junk food itself could be causing behavioral issues. You can google for some articles.

And it's not just "true" junk food but also any ultra processed foods like crackers, flavored yogurts, etc. and things that seem healthier than junk food but are still problematic

BUT it seems like anything you say will be met with resistance so if it were me, I'd say nothing and back off completely. Her problem is her own making and she's not taking any of your advice so it seems pointless.

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

2,273 posts, read 1,667,786 times
A child will not starve themselves if no junk food is provided. They will eat healthy food if provided before starving if given no other choice.

A visit to the doctor may be necessary to back up the mother. This child may be beyond listening to her at this point but sometimes hearing a “rule” from the doctor carries more weight than from a parent. I wonder if allergy testing is needed in looking for behavior causes. A referral to a good childhood nutritionist might be helpful at this point.

The mom should have let her “have a fit” when she was two years old. Now she probably needs real psychological help. There may very well be a problem there especially as any child that deliberately hurts a pet needs help. The dog should be rehomed asap.

The tablet and Amazon app are just no-brainers. If an adult can’t handle those issues she needs help, too.

Something tells me nothing OP says or does will do anything. I’m surprised the school hasn’t gotten more involved but that may be a source of necessary counseling if the district is competent.

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

2,640 posts, read 1,175,151 times
It does sound like she is spoiled and knows the Mother either can't or just won't do anything to help her child. I do wonder if she is spoiled or has some other problem.

Just curious again here. Does she wake up with nightmares? Does she think she see's the devil or things Mother can't even see?

Does your friend the Mother have medical issues of her own that prevent her from the strength or energy to deal with a screaming child?

Any Grandparent to help out? Maybe hire a professional to help with her tantrums.

Is she waiting for medical tests to be completed? Did she take her to a therapist to try and find out why this child is like this. Sometimes Bipolar children are mistaken for being spoiled temper tantrum out of control behavior. Then when they get past the age of 7 it gets worse.

Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

2,640 posts, read 1,175,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
A child will not starve themselves if no junk food is provided. They will eat healthy food if provided before starving if given no other choice.

A visit to the doctor may be necessary to back up the mother. This child may be beyond listening to her at this point but sometimes hearing a “rule” from the doctor carries more weight than from a parent. I wonder if allergy testing is needed in looking for behavior causes. A referral to a good childhood nutritionist might be helpful at this point.

The mom should have let her “have a fit” when she was two years old. Now she probably needs real psychological help. There may very well be a problem there especially as any child that deliberately hurts a pet needs help. The dog should be rehomed asap.

The tablet and Amazon app are just no-brainers. If an adult can’t handle those issues she needs help, too.

Something tells me nothing OP says or does will do anything. I’m surprised the school hasn’t gotten more involved but that may be a source of necessary counseling if the district is competent.
The school has to be careful they don't want a lawsuit. The requirements to be able to homeschool may depend on the state the child and parent are residing in.

I do hope the OP gets the friend to rehome the dog and not care if the child has another fit. That child has no respect or even wants the dog since she is abusing the dog. OP please offer to take the dog out of there and say you will keep the dog for safe keeping then rehome the dog if you don't want to keep it. She will get worse with how she treats the dog then Mother will have animal abuse charges filed if anyone from the school comes in see the hurt dog.

Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Regarding just the food situation:

The mother must be willing to eat only healthy foods in the house, herself, and not bring junk food into the house at all.

It would help if some nutritious items were easy to simply grab and eat, such as hardboiled eggs, carrot sticks, apples, unsweetened yogurt, oranges.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM

21 posts, read 3,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Regarding just the food situation:

The mother must be willing to eat only healthy foods in the house, herself, and not bring junk food into the house at all.

It would help if some nutritious items were easy to simply grab and eat, such as hardboiled eggs, carrot sticks, apples, unsweetened yogurt, oranges.
The mother eats healthy but unfortunately the child refuses to. It come down to the child's ability to control her mother.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro222 View Post
The mother eats healthy but unfortunately the child refuses to. It come down to the child's ability to control her mother.
I think it comes down to the mother's inability to control the child's environment. The mother has to set the parameters that the child lives by. Currently, those parameters are being set by the child. Things will get worse before they get better. Your friend needs to decide how much worse it's going to get before she decides to intervene.

Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM

6,858 posts, read 4,853,645 times
The child should be diagnosed for autism or other issues, but having a tantrum isn't going to hurt the child. Missing a few meals won't hurt her either. She'll eat when she is hungry enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting