Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 09:02 PM

21 posts, read 3,812 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that is a single mother with a 7 year old girl. The girl only does what she wants to do and expects my friend to serve her. She refuses to go to school and spends the day watching videos on her tablet. She'll only eat unhealthy foods and is quite overweight. She orders stuff from Amazon without permission. When my friend tries to tell her to do otherwise, the girl will ignore her. When she doesn't get what she wants she'll scream, break things and hurt the dog. My friend doesn't know why her daughter is like that but she thinks the girl needs medication and therapy.

Do you have any suggestions for her? There's lots I've left out so feel free to ask for details.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:14 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
IMO there is nothing you can do or say that will change the way your friend is parenting her daughter. If the kid is really doing what you say at age 7 it's all your friends fault and she's not going to change.

Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro222 View Post
My friend doesn't know why her daughter is like that but she thinks the girl needs medication and therapy.

Do you have any suggestions for her?
Get medication and therapy.

There is more she can do, but it is upon her to do it.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Get medication and therapy.

There is more she can do, but it is upon her to do it.
She doesn't need medication and therapy- she needs a mother who knows how to be a parent and has child raising skills. She is simply a direct result of her poor upbringing.

Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM

9,851 posts, read 7,718,719 times
How is she not going to school? It's probably a combination of bad parenting and some sort of psych issue that needs to be dealt with. Sounds like they both need counseling.

Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM

17,294 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
I have a friend that is a single mother with a 7 year old girl. The girl only does what she wants to do and expects my friend to serve her. She refuses to go to school and spends the day watching videos on her tablet. She'll only eat unhealthy foods and is quite overweight. She orders stuff from Amazon without permission. When my friend tries to tell her to do otherwise, the girl will ignore her. When she doesn't get what she wants she'll scream, break things and hurt the dog. My friend doesn't know why her daughter is like that but she thinks the girl needs medication and therapy.

Do you have any suggestions for her? There's lots I've left out so feel free to ask for details.

Easy= no more "serving," tablet gets thrown away, don't buy unhealthy foods, give the dog away

No school - I'd reach out to the school and see if they have answers. If not a visit from the truancy officer will likely shape "tantrum tubby" back into shape.

Fix it at 7 or be a grandmother by the time the kid turns 16 and then its Honey Boo Boo TV time!

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

2,640 posts, read 1,175,151 times
Quote:

I'm just curious here. Where is the father in all this?
How does a 7 year old have the password to their mother's Amazon account?
Why doesn't the mother log out and call Amazon to let them know she needs to set up the account where it must be logged in with the password every time the account is clicked on and tell them her underage daughter is purchasing products she has no permission to do.
Why doesn't she just stop paying for the tablet to work or shut it down so her daughter cannot watch movies all day.
Why isn't the mother working?
Why doesn't your friend put on a pair of ear plugs and put her screaming daughter in her room until the temper tantrums are over. Take all her toys, gadgets, TV if she has one out of the her room.
I think there is a situation you are not being told about since the child is home all day. That makes no sense to me unless your friend signed up to have her child home schooled and didn't tell you.

Have you asked these questions to your friend? Have you given any suggestions to help her?

I hate to suggested it but maybe call the school she should be enrolled in and let them know the problems this child is displaying. The problems are largely from lack of discipline. I hope you get the dog into a safe home environment.

She better stop this out of control behavior because she becomes a abused parent by a violent offspring when she reaches teen age stage statistic. She can and will be severely hurt by her own daughter if she doesn't stop this now.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

6,858 posts, read 4,853,645 times
How long has this been going on? The dog should be rehomed or taken to the humane society asap. The parent can't be too bright if she can't figure out how to stop the kid from ordering off of Amazon. The parent doesn't have to provide junk food. Yes the child needs to see a doctor. There is so much weirdness in this post I have to question whether it's real.

Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I'm just curious here. Where is the father in all this?
How does a 7 year old have the password to their mother's Amazon account?
Why doesn't the mother log out and call Amazon to let them know she needs to set up the account where it must be logged in with the password every time the account is clicked on and tell them her underage daughter is purchasing products she has no permission to do.
Why doesn't she just stop paying for the tablet to work or shut it down so her daughter cannot watch movies all day.
Why isn't the mother working?
Why doesn't your friend put on a pair of ear plugs and put her screaming daughter in her room until the temper tantrums are over. Take all her toys, gadgets, TV if she has one out of the her room.
I think there is a situation you are not being told about since the child is home all day. That makes no sense to me unless your friend signed up to have her child home schooled and didn't tell you.

Have you asked these questions to your friend? Have you given any suggestions to help her?

I hate to suggested it but maybe call the school she should be enrolled in and let them know the problems this child is displaying. The problems are largely from lack of discipline. I hope you get the dog into a safe home environment.

She better stop this out of control behavior because she becomes a abused parent by a violent offspring when she reaches teen age stage statistic. She can and will be severely hurt by her own daughter if she doesn't stop this now.
I just wonder if the mother actually asked for help and is interested to get any advice?
Otherwise, it doesn't matter what we say - she won't do it.
A "helpful" friend could became an enemy very quickly.

Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

1,742 posts, read 958,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
She doesn't need medication and therapy- she needs a mother who knows how to be a parent and has child raising skills. She is simply a direct result of her poor upbringing.
She also needs a father in the home to set boundaries and enforce discipline, but that’s not a popular thing to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting