Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:58 AM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Advertisements

Are you saying that a mother can't set boundaries and enforce discipline?

Often parents feel guilty or can't show their love - so they buy their kids affection.
I know a few of those. Feeling guilty as a parent is quite common.
Some parents also refuse to discipline their kids because they’re afraid their kids won’t like them.
They try to be their friend and not their parent. The child then grows up having no respect for their parent and also know very little about boundaries.
Or they may have been raised by parents who did this, and it’s the only model they know.

But from OPs posts, we can make a clear picture that the child has behavioral problems and should be evaluated by a professional.

BTW: if the mother does not believe in discipline and is not interested in proper parenting, perhaps she should give up her parental rights. Nothing good comes up from the way she is raising her daughter.
I feel sorry with the child - she is not getting help she so desperately needs.

Also, if the child is homeschooled, I doubt she is on the same level of education as her peers. She only learns what she wants to learn, it seems.

Last edited by elnina; Today at 02:16 AM..

Old Today, 07:33 AM

16,322 posts, read 8,150,917 times
That is bizarre that she is allowed to stay home from school because she feels like it? If your friend is single i'm assuming she has to work? Is the kid home alone all day?

I'd be dragging her into the school kicking and screaming. Sounds like there are severe problems and hurting the dog is extremely alarming at that age

Old Today, 08:07 AM

17,294 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro222 View Post
If the tablet was taken away or if the girl didn't get the food she wanted she would take a fit.

The school is not being useful.

My friend called the police once. They talked to her but it didn't change anything.
Ok.......tough love. Kid can "take a fit" but it still won't change the fact that the ipad is gone, no more amazon shopping and if she doesn't have junk food to eat she will eventually get hungry.

Old Today, 08:08 AM

7,329 posts, read 4,121,162 times
Quote:
I have a friend that is a single mother with a 7 year old girl. The girl only does what she wants to do and expects my friend to serve her. She refuses to go to school and spends the day watching videos on her tablet. She'll only eat unhealthy foods and is quite overweight. She orders stuff from Amazon without permission. When my friend tries to tell her to do otherwise, the girl will ignore her. When she doesn't get what she wants she'll scream, break things and hurt the dog. My friend doesn't know why her daughter is like that but she thinks the girl needs medication and therapy.

Do you have any suggestions for her? There's lots I've left out so feel free to ask for details.
Cancel the Amazon and internet accounts. No Amazon or internet. Today.

Let her scream and break things. The child will stop once she see it doesn't work.

If you want to help, take the dog - now!

End of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
BTW: if the mother does not believe in discipline and is not interested in proper parenting, perhaps she should give up her parental rights. Nothing good comes up from the way she is raising her daughter.
This ^^^

Old Today, 08:10 AM

17,294 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
The mother eats healthy but unfortunately the child refuses to. It come down to the child's ability to control her mother.
How does junk food get into the house?

BTW what is your 120 lb daughters name?

Old Today, 08:36 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
She doesn't need medication and therapy- she needs a mother who knows how to be a parent and has child raising skills. She is simply a direct result of her poor upbringing.
This, at least in part. Your friend needs to take a parenting class,OP. I'm not qualified to say if more would be necessary; therapy at least, if not meds. I knew a woman who was a single parent of a pre-teen and a teen, both of whom she felt were "out of control". She took a parenting class. It made all the difference in the world. It was revolutionary. The girls settled down, and the family unit became much more functional. It's easy to point to meds as a solution, but that can be a cop-out for a parent unwilling to look at her own responsibility.

We don't have enough info to know if some form of therapy would be needed; is there trauma in the child's background, a messy divorce or separation or abandonment, etc.?

Old Today, 09:01 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
I agree with you. I brought up the subject of discipline with her and she said "so it MY fault!"
Well, there's your problem, OP. There's not much that can be done (other than feeding the child meds as a surrogate for good parenting, or hire a therapist to "fix" the child), while the mother washes her hands of responsibility.

Old Today, 10:26 AM

24,503 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
I agree with you. I brought up the subject of discipline with her and she said "so it MY fault!"
Yes, as a matter of fact it is the mother's fault.

Old Today, 01:34 PM

21 posts, read 3,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
is there trauma in the child's background, a messy divorce or separation or abandonment, etc.?

No trauma in the background.

There is an ex-boyfriend that is referred to as her father. He calls several times a week and visits on weekends. He is quite the unbalanced character. He shouldn't be around kids (or anyone else for that matter)

The girl gets assaulted at school from time to time. The school won't stop it.

Old Today, 02:08 PM

24,503 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
No trauma in the background.

There is an ex-boyfriend that is referred to as her father. He calls several times a week and visits on weekends. He is quite the unbalanced character. He shouldn't be around kids (or anyone else for that matter)

The girl gets assaulted at school from time to time. The school won't stop it.
This saga is getting a bit long in the tooth. What is your involvement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting