Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 01:16 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
As a good deed. Fifteen minutes is so little time - I guess it's worth $5 or less. But if you can't spare 15 minutes to a grandparent who buys you birthday/Christmas presents, I think it's sad.
what yard takes 15 minutes to mow etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 01:36 PM

6,878 posts, read 4,880,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I know plenty of people with little 15 minute postage stamp yards in newer developments. My sister has a regular size yard in an older development. She has landscaping that has no grass at all. I have so much yard that it takes a good five hours when the grass is dry and under control, and that's not including the pastures. Mowing is my hobby.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:43 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Really? My house is on 1.29 acres, which takes me MAYBE 20 minutes TOTAL to mow, front and back (the back is the most -- about 3/4 acre).

My previous house was on a quarter acre, which would have taken MAYBE 10 minutes total to mow. Probably, really, more like 6-7 minutes.

So I guess I am confused as to why you think 15 minutes is a LOT for mowing a lawn? 15 minutes -- as in 1/4 hour?!!

Note, I do it all MYSELF mostly because I enjoy it ... but grandparents are often expected to babysit for hours and hours every week for years and years and YEARS with no pay AT ALL because, well, it's their GRANDKIDS and they must love it so why not? And I never understood that, because babysitting is often not the slightest bit fun. (Why on earth are we not "allowed" to acknowledge that said babysitting is WORK, mostly not the slightest bit fun?)

So seriously -- mowing a lawn for 15 minutes once every couple of weeks when your parents got all that free labor because, well, they're grandparents and expected to do everything for free ... so why not? Well, maybe because it WASN'T enjoyable most of the time but still expected somehow ... can we actually acknowledge that? Or is that some sacred line we are not supposed to cross?

I must be confused about something because ... you know, FAMILY, well ... really? Family is just shared DNA, nothing more than that, as is clearly shown when FAMILY beats the crap out of their relatives because they can. So holy crap, grandkids, give back to your grandparents for all the WORK that they did that YOUR PARENTS expected to be done for free.

Old 04-21-2024, 02:13 PM

6,825 posts, read 11,556,490 times
I have a slightly different take on this. We have some minor outside jobs we need to have done, like painting our garage doors and trimming some bushes. Thinking of offering the job to one of the grandkids….who would certainly appreciate the cash. It won’t cost us as much as a “professional” would, if you could even find someone to do it.

Old 04-21-2024, 06:05 PM

4,876 posts, read 2,679,748 times
the grandparents should pay and teach about investing..not drilling into their heads so they won't even want to, but just casually mention the magic of compound interest and how it works..show 'em where their money could be in a few years..

Old 04-21-2024, 06:09 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times
I wouldn't ask the grandparent to pay. As kids we always had chores around the house that needed to be done and we weren't paid for them - yard work was one of them.

If you already pay your kid for mowing, you could always pay them for doing the grandparents too.

But 15 minutes and they get a lunch? I think that's payment enough.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:34 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I would expect my kids to do it for free. It’s sad if you can’t help your family.
Thank you!!

Old 04-21-2024, 08:50 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
If I were a grandparent, I would want to pay the grandchild. And I would be upset if his parents told me not to pay him. Indulging grandchildren has got to be one of the best things about being a grandparent.

But as a parent, I would model doing things for others without being paid. Those are two entirely different things.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:23 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I would expect my kid to do it for free, but if I’m the grandma, I would pay him $10. an hour. This would be an incentive to spend a whole hour working on the yard.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:25 AM

11,801 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Have the grandparents been free babysitters? Do the Grandparents give the kids xmas and birthday presents? Family should help family without expectations. If anyone should pay it should be the kid's father since he's turned that duty over to his son. It should be mentioned to the teen that this is a quick thing to help his grandparents and not the kind of thing one normally charges. It doesn't sound like the grandparents said - hey grandson, I want to hire you. We haven't been told if the Grandparents are just living on Social Security or what their financial situation is. Little things can make a difference.
Grandparents actually sold their house an hour away to be closer to family. They are now 77 and 80 on a fixed income, they babysit quite regularly, just recently had the kids for a week while parents went on vacation. They help out shuttling kids to sports because two parents can't be in three different places at once. They contribute a lot to sport and activity fees and are very generous, often to their own detriment.

Grandparents didn't ask grandson to do this, as son has been doing it all along. Now that grandson is expressing the desire to earn money, (and as the firstborn, he is grandma's favourite) grandma feels she should be paying grandson $20 each time he mows the lawn, because he wants to make money and she'd have to pay that if anyone else was mowing the lawn. Son has been doing it for free, and given their ages, they will never need to pay anyone outside the family for lawnmowing. Son wants to teach grandson responsibility but is interesting to read many comments here that feel he should then be paying grandson himself.

Appreciate the perspectives from everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting