Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 05:43 PM

9,872 posts, read 7,747,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Grandparents actually sold their house an hour away to be closer to family. They are now 77 and 80 on a fixed income, they babysit quite regularly, just recently had the kids for a week while parents went on vacation. They help out shuttling kids to sports because two parents can't be in three different places at once. They contribute a lot to sport and activity fees and are very generous, often to their own detriment.

Grandparents didn't ask grandson to do this, as son has been doing it all along. Now that grandson is expressing the desire to earn money, (and as the firstborn, he is grandma's favourite) grandma feels she should be paying grandson $20 each time he mows the lawn, because he wants to make money and she'd have to pay that if anyone else was mowing the lawn. Son has been doing it for free, and given their ages, they will never need to pay anyone outside the family for lawnmowing. Son wants to teach grandson responsibility but is interesting to read many comments here that feel he should then be paying grandson himself.

Appreciate the perspectives from everyone!
$20 is way too much in this instance.

With this added perspective, I think I would approach it as the grandson does it as a family responsibility but if he does a good job, Grandma may tip up to $5. And a big hug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:55 PM

3,926 posts, read 6,843,555 times
I'm 35 and still help my grandma with many things around the house. I've never been paid, however she has always been an excellent resource for short term loans.

With that being said I wouldn't expect the kid to get paid. However, his hard work is deserving of some recognition, what that is I don't know. Hopefully the kid grows up to learn that helping your family should come from a place of love not greed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting