Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 11:16 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times

Advertisements

A question for parents, would you expect your kids to help their grandparents, with lawn mowing specifically, free or paid?

Grandparents and grandkids live a 5 minute walk from each other, and grandparents yard takes about 10-15 minutes to mow, once a week. Grandkid gets lunch or snacks after. Oldest grandson is trying to make money as he’s only 13. Grandparents are elderly. Son has been doing it up until now.

Would you want your child to do that as a good deed or paid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 12:09 PM

423 posts, read 267,092 times
I’d probably like them to get paid a little so they don’t resent it over the years.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
When I was a kid, I was had to spend a full week in my grandmother's NYC apartment, helping her do her spring cleaning. I hated going, but my uncle always slipped me a $20 in gratitude, which was a fortune to a preteen back then. That was a bonus, there was no agreement in place.

As a parent, yes, I would definitely want my sons to help their grandparents if asked, and I wouldn't expect my parents, who stepped up to babysit them whenever needed, to pay. I would probably treat the boys to something in thanks.

Old 04-20-2024, 06:07 PM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
I would expect my kids to do it for free. It’s sad if you can’t help your family.

Old 04-20-2024, 06:29 PM

554 posts, read 345,700 times
I would want my kids to help family out when needed and not expect to be paid. You help family and show respect to parents and grandparents.

If kids want to make money then they can do yard work at neighbors house and earn money.

The kids should feel good that they are helping their grandparents, that’s their reward.

What a gift it would have been to have known any one of my grandparents.

Last edited by bellamax2; 04-20-2024 at 07:37 PM..

Old 04-21-2024, 08:52 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
As a grandparent, I'd want to pay a little, especially since he's trying to earn money.

I don't know if you can raise someone into "wanting to help." I think that's more of an innate quality that some are born with. Some of our kids/grandkids will always jump when someone needs help and others have to be really pushed, even when they are adults and should know better.

Old 04-21-2024, 11:03 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
A question for parents, would you expect your kids to help their grandparents, with lawn mowing specifically, free or paid?

Grandparents and grandkids live a 5 minute walk from each other, and grandparents yard takes about 10-15 minutes to mow, once a week. Grandkid gets lunch or snacks after. Oldest grandson is trying to make money as he’s only 13. Grandparents are elderly. Son has been doing it up until now.

As a good deed. Fifteen minutes is so little time - I guess it's worth $5 or less. But if you can't spare 15 minutes to a grandparent who buys you birthday/Christmas presents, I think it's sad.

Old 04-21-2024, 11:49 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:

I would set the expectation that we do not charge grandparents. However, if I was a grandparent, I would give my grandchild a "tip." My FIL always gave me a $10 "tip" for doing his errands once a week as an adult.
I spent a half day doing the errands so this in no way compensated me for my time and expense; it was more a token of his appreciation.

So, in this case, maybe a "tip" of $25 once a month from the son if grandparents don't offer.

Last edited by Maddie104; 04-21-2024 at 11:58 AM..

Old 04-21-2024, 01:11 PM

6,864 posts, read 4,860,189 times
Have the grandparents been free babysitters? Do the Grandparents give the kids xmas and birthday presents? Family should help family without expectations. If anyone should pay it should be the kid's father since he's turned that duty over to his son. It should be mentioned to the teen that this is a quick thing to help his grandparents and not the kind of thing one normally charges. It doesn't sound like the grandparents said - hey grandson, I want to hire you. We haven't been told if the Grandparents are just living on Social Security or what their financial situation is. Little things can make a difference.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:15 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:

maybe you as the parent can pay him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting