Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:43 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,168,132 times

Advertisements

Many positive changes from a younger generation that is telling everyone is your responsibility to take charge and make a difference:

PYP | Pensacola Young Professionals

I live close to Pcola and have many friends that live in the city, enjoy the area and like the small city concept. Many are involve and making a difference. Many times we are challenged to be innovators and better what others complain about, but do nothing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 14,647 times
Pensacola is a nice town. Someone mentioned the military and the religious nuts. That is pretty much standard from pensacola east through Guf Breeze, Navarre, and Fort Walton Beach. The thing Pensacola has over those other places is there are better shopping areas, more bookstores, a university, and at least a little bit of culture.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 PM

22 posts, read 178,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpley long View Post
Hello,

Am seeking to relocate to a beautiful part of the United States, that has great architecture and beautiful beaches and that is less expensive than where I currently live, Washington, DC. For the past 11 years, I have bought, improved and sold for profit several historic homes and I would like to do this in a warmer climate. That's one of my day jobs. Another passion is acting. From websites I have searched, it appears that Pensacola has a very good theater company.

Thank you.
I currently live in the Pensacola area, across the bridge in Gulf Breeze. I used to live in Maryland on the Eastern Shore, and have family around Rockville, and other Wash DC subburbs....

As for the differences, the Panhandle air from mid July through September is very thick, and hard to breathe. You will sweat with no activity. It's the dewpoint, reaching 70 or higher. Expect 6 months of nice weather, 6 months of deteriating weather- with Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar. with varying days of cool days. Being close to water makes the winter feel cooler than up north, and people tend to get cold and wear coats when the temp gets under 50. There is no snow, but plenty of rain, 63 inches, much of it in downpours, rather than a Seattle drizzle.

The beach, anywhere along the Panhandle, is the main benefit to be here. White soft sand, water that is cool/warm in the spring, to bathwater toward August. However, the sun will do it's damage in time. First will be great tans, then later on you will probably have a skin Dr for a friend.

I for one am trying to move away from here. I have issues:
1.) The weather. The heat & muggy summers that make it so that you can't enjoy being outside. When it finally gets nicer, summer is over and nothing to do. There is no major Pro sports close by, but college sports is very popular. The hurricane activity is increasing, so is my insurance and taxes. Real estate is really down now (my daughter is an agent and there are many beautiful places that just aren't selling.
2.) The southern mentality. If you can't handle the 75% right-wing republicans and the Bible-thumping religous groups, the KKK lurking from the rural areas north & east, then this might not be the perfect area.
3.) This area seems too slow for planning for growth and environmental concerns. Hwy 98 is the only way to get back & forth from Pensacola to Destin, creating traffic accidents all the time. On any day you will see a stretcher with someone one it, car possibly totalled. But there really isn't any mass transit or bike or jogging paths like Portland Ore., or bigger cities.
4.) Crime. There are areas that keep the police busy all night. This area is famous for participating in the pro-life clinic violence. Someone who wanted an abortion was killed by a nut who believes God is on his side to kill people who differ. Need I say more? So much for people's rights and laws.

Now for the best: Pensacola has several hospitals with plenty of drs. There are 2 malls, 5 Walmarts really close, and a few more further out. Pensacola has a nice airport. And you will find a lot of nice friendly people. The area has 2 colleges, one is a junior college, and Univ of West Florida is excellent for hiring for local market.

All in all it's a mixed bag. Very Beautiful, especially the east side along Scenic Drive, which reminds me of Seattle Puget Sound without the mountains, with the bluff overlooking the water. Pensacola has rolling terrain shaded with pine trees. The downtown area is nice, has shady parks, cafe's & restuarants, theatre, a stadium for 5,000 or so capacity, and interesting architecture. The west side is ugly, crime-ridden, and rundown. The beach life, although short, is a nice life. But it gets crowded during Gay Pride Memorial weekend, Blue Angel, and Labor Day. And when the kids go back to school & vacationers go home it dies down. Oh, and fishing is a way of life here, bring a strong line, as they can get bigger than you.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,196,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imrwklein View Post
I currently live in the Pensacola area, across the bridge in Gulf Breeze. I used to live in Maryland on the Eastern Shore, and have family around Rockville, and other Wash DC subburbs....

As for the differences, the Panhandle air from mid July through September is very thick, and hard to breathe. You will sweat with no activity. It's the dewpoint, reaching 70 or higher. Expect 6 months of nice weather, 6 months of deteriating weather- with Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar. with varying days of cool days. Being close to water makes the winter feel cooler than up north, and people tend to get cold and wear coats when the temp gets under 50. There is no snow, but plenty of rain, 63 inches, much of it in downpours, rather than a Seattle drizzle.

The beach, anywhere along the Panhandle, is the main benefit to be here. White soft sand, water that is cool/warm in the spring, to bathwater toward August. However, the sun will do it's damage in time. First will be great tans, then later on you will probably have a skin Dr for a friend.

I for one am trying to move away from here. I have issues:
1.) The weather. The heat & muggy summers that make it so that you can't enjoy being outside. When it finally gets nicer, summer is over and nothing to do. There is no major Pro sports close by, but college sports is very popular. The hurricane activity is increasing, so is my insurance and taxes. Real estate is really down now (my daughter is an agent and there are many beautiful places that just aren't selling.
2.) The southern mentality. If you can't handle the 75% right-wing republicans and the Bible-thumping religous groups, the KKK lurking from the rural areas north & east, then this might not be the perfect area.
3.) This area seems too slow for planning for growth and environmental concerns. Hwy 98 is the only way to get back & forth from Pensacola to Destin, creating traffic accidents all the time. On any day you will see a stretcher with someone one it, car possibly totalled. But there really isn't any mass transit or bike or jogging paths like Portland Ore., or bigger cities.
4.) Crime. There are areas that keep the police busy all night. This area is famous for participating in the pro-life clinic violence. Someone who wanted an abortion was killed by a nut who believes God is on his side to kill people who differ. Need I say more? So much for people's rights and laws.

Now for the best: Pensacola has several hospitals with plenty of drs. There are 2 malls, 5 Walmarts really close, and a few more further out. Pensacola has a nice airport. And you will find a lot of nice friendly people. The area has 2 colleges, one is a junior college, and Univ of West Florida is excellent for hiring for local market.

All in all it's a mixed bag. Very Beautiful, especially the east side along Scenic Drive, which reminds me of Seattle Puget Sound without the mountains, with the bluff overlooking the water. Pensacola has rolling terrain shaded with pine trees. The downtown area is nice, has shady parks, cafe's & restuarants, theatre, a stadium for 5,000 or so capacity, and interesting architecture. The west side is ugly, crime-ridden, and rundown. The beach life, although short, is a nice life. But it gets crowded during Gay Pride Memorial weekend, Blue Angel, and Labor Day. And when the kids go back to school & vacationers go home it dies down. Oh, and fishing is a way of life here, bring a strong line, as they can get bigger than you.
After reading your post I did some research and sure enough it does have below average air quality. I live in Fort Lauderdale and I know what you mean, I can taste the air most of the time. It smells like tar or rubber or something right now, I can hardly stand it, my nose is burning. Some studies have Fort Lauderdale at like an 8 on a scale of 100.

If you get away from that area in the panhandle there are some places where the air is some of the cleanest in the country rating a 98 on a scale of 100. I was in Perry just a few weeks ago and it smelled so bad I had to leave. The lady at the motel told me it always smells like that. Not all of Florida is clean, It would seem to be very clean being a peninsula but not the case. Even Key West doesn't get the greatest readings. Odd.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:26 PM

22 posts, read 178,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javert View Post
Here's the real Pensacola:
Beautiful beaches, but only one has anything to do. Others are sand and water and nothing else....unless you count the condos. If you like fishing, boating, and laying on the beach, this is your place. Houses are affordable but you'll be lucky if you can find anyone to insure it, and if you can, it will be expensive. Taxes aren't bad compared to the rest of the country, but the city services reflect that. Bus system is about to go out of business and libraries are on the verge of closing, most public schools are pathetic and most of the town is dirty and disgusting. Lots of old run down neighborhoods and a lot of poverty here. Escambia county is one of the poorest in Florida. There isn't much to do here. Malls are pathetic- anchor stores are Sears, JC Penney and Dillards. A few yearly festivals that are nice, one downtown night spot and a few good restaurants and very active and very good little theatre groups. The sewage treatment plant is in the middle of downtown and they've been talking about moving it for 20 years, but it's still there. Oh, and don't forget the paper mills that have poisoned several of the local Bayous and the air quality that is some of the poorest in the country from the toxic emissions from mills and dumps. (don't take my word for it...look it up!) Downtown has a few interesting shops, but they've cleverly put in parking meters on the main shopping areas so you can only stay 2 hours. And downtown is completely closed down on Saturday and Sunday! You can tell the feel of a town by it's news. They recently had the closing of the local Krispy Kreme donut shop on the front page 4 times! And you should have seen the hoopla when it re-opened! Here's what I've heard from people who live here, visit here and tourists: Nice beaches. Boring. Filthy. Pretty much in that order.
Hey Javert. I must have missed the Krispy Kreme articles. My neighbor has been getting my newspapers I guess, lol. Anyway, I think you nailed Pensacola. I also posted a thorough view of the area. On the positive side though, ain't nothing better than a donut when that light is flashing at Krispy Kreme. In fact, many red lights flash as people slam the brakes to get that donut.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:03 AM

8 posts, read 54,014 times
I don't know. I lived in Navarre for several years, and while I'd never drive through north of Gulf Breeze without holding my nose, I never noticed anything towards my own home and I've a very sensitive nose. The breezes from the bay made everything smell fresh and beachy, and the humidity was, well, bad, but completely worth the views and easy climates that came with it. Is it hot in the summer? Well, it's FL. The mild winters--jacket and sweater at most--beautiful springs and falls...yes, it was worth it. It's all a matter of opinion.

I am not uber religious by any means and have lived in FAR more religious communities, but I'm originally from the south, where people's second question after your name was "What church do you attend?" So...maybe my perception is different from yours.

I was never approached about church the whole time I lived there, it just wasn't brought up. I found that the sense of community was much greater there in Mary Esther and Navarre than in other places I've lived--namely Phoenix, where we are now. I became pregnant soon after moving to FL and knew NOBODY there, the people in my neighborhood quickly befriended us, brought us dinners and threw us a baby shower.

Then when we moved to Navarre...we had people helping us move things into our house, neighbors cutting our grass while we were on vacation (without being asked), people bringing over extra soups, etc. THAT is a community, and one I havent' really found since I left.

No, the mall in Pensacola is not Mall of America quality by any stretch of imagination, but there is adequate shopping there and in FWB, and fun little boutiques in Destin...not to mention the outlet mall towards Sandestin.

As for the beaches--what do you mean, only one can you do things at? We played volleyball, wiffle ball, swam, had parties, played board games--the possibilities are endless. Of course, if you require constant entertainment, you probably are going to have trouble just about anywhere that isn't lit up like Vegas 24/7. Just a thought.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:44 PM

182 posts, read 780,353 times
CAN ANYONE TELL me about rent prices in pensacola ??? one bedroom is sufficient . .and preferably in a decent neighborhood ..
thanks in advance. . Jeanne

Old 11-05-2007, 10:02 PM

gee . .don't be shy now . . don't hold anything back .
can you tell me the 'best ' neighborhoods to live in . . afraid i'd be Renting . .not buying . .
any help i can get now , ,before i have to make a final decision next yr wehn i retire, will help a lot .. thanks in advance. .
btw . do you still live there ??? and if so . .why >???? ha jeanne

Old 11-06-2007, 06:50 AM

272 posts, read 1,531,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEANNE61 View Post
CAN ANYONE TELL me about rent prices in pensacola ??? one bedroom is sufficient . .and preferably in a decent neighborhood ..
thanks in advance. . Jeanne
A one bedroom in a nicer complex will probably run between $800-950.
If you know that you want to retire in Pensacola, you might not want to rule out buying. Properties in Pcola are pretty affordable and the prices are dropping. By the end of next year, they should be quite a bit lower. You should be able to buy a 2 bed cottage or condo (not on the beach) for around $1000 a month; not much more than the rent.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 AM

Thanks Deck,
Nice To Know . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola