Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,832 times

Advertisements

I moved here from NY and I agree with what you said about the job situation here. It is terrible and they do not seem to embrace educated people in Pensacola either. I am thinking of moving back to NY. I came here to be closer to family but it has simply been a nightmare in finding a job in HR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 03:16 PM

11 posts, read 32,604 times
Cool Destination Pensacola?

My family and I are thinking of moving back to the south in the next couple of years, but I guess I want to make sure we will be staying this time. Last time, before Katrina, we were living in Mobile, AL. I worked in Pensacola at the time and commuted. I loved Pensacola - the beauty, the beachy atmosphere, all the green (compared to AZ). I am wondering about the healthcare and construction industries. I will be a nurse by the time we move there and my husband will still be a carpenter/contractor. Are those industries doing well? How about real estate - I noticed the reasonable prices, but can you get insurance? I'm tired of moving so I want to find a place to plant roots. Feedback?

Old 05-05-2009, 03:38 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Healthcare in the area has a good number of job openings relatively speaking. Construction is still struggling- that sector really puffed up a few years back because the housing bubble happened at the same time as rebuilding from Ivan/Dennis and is painfully returning to pre-Ivan levels. Insurance is doable if you don't live in a storm surge or flood zone, though still 2-3 times what you'd pay for a similar home in Kansas.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 PM

12 posts, read 22,928 times
want to The Pensacola area soon start study in UWF and thanks everybody for information

Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdanson View Post
I moved here from NY and I agree with what you said about the job situation here. It is terrible and they do not seem to embrace educated people in Pensacola either. I am thinking of moving back to NY. I came here to be closer to family but it has simply been a nightmare in finding a job in HR.
I have noticed that most companies and hiring managers throughout Florida are scared to death of educated and motivated people. They just try to protect their own jobs that many of them are not even qualified for. They are looking for unsuspecting milk toasts they can push around.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:40 PM

39 posts, read 154,347 times
Default job situation is so true..

I am 26 years old and have lived in pensacola my whole life. sadly, i will soon have to move to be able to find a job that i wont have to laugh at the salary offer (and i do not have some delusion that i am worth way more than i am. i just want to be able to provide for myself and a family when the times comes). But, i guess the decision to move is getting easier every day. developers are trying their best to make pensacola beach look like orange beach, al, which with the exception of one public park on the gulf it is impossible to see the gulf over there from the road, let alone get access. i really do not know what there is to stick around for. anyone know of a place that is like pensacola/pensacola beach 30 years ago with a job market? if so let me know because i would be there in a second!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:02 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
I was at the NAS in Pensacola in the late 80's. I thought it was pretty cool.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:35 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,053,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpley long View Post
Hello,

Am seeking to relocate to a beautiful part of the United States, that has great architecture and beautiful beaches and that is less expensive than where I currently live, Washington, DC. For the past 11 years, I have bought, improved and sold for profit several historic homes and I would like to do this in a warmer climate. That's one of my day jobs. Another passion is acting. From websites I have searched, it appears that Pensacola has a very good theater company.

Thank you.
Pensacola is going to be cheaper living than D.C. for sure. The opportunity to buy up foreclosed homes is tremendous in The Panhandle too. Youd be very close to the nice beaches all along the Gulf Coast, but, I really think youd be happier not living in Pensacola proper, but, in a surrounding suburb and maybe commuting to Pensacola for your acting pursuits. Nearby towns i think you would REALLY like are : Navarre , Niceville, Valparaiso , Milton, or Pace. Navarre is right on the beach, and the others are within 40 minutes of the beach. ALL are no more than a 40 minute drive to Pensacola with Milton and Pace being 20 minutes. You need to come out and spend a good week or so exploring the area , and anytime after August is a good time cause the Tourists have mass exited due to school starting. Ive been in this area for just 5 months and love it compared to northern illinois. Im saving a TON of money living down here mostly on home cost and property taxes . Heres a vacation guide which will show you some of the many activities and places to go whether youre a visitor or a resident. Plenty to do . The people are very very nice by and large. Like others have said, the job situation isnt the greatest, but, it sounds like youd be semi retiring from what i read of your OP....thats what im doing as well. Taking your money from your home sale in D.C. and bringing it here, will go a LONG way ... and youll have a healthy sum to live off of ---- at least thats the major attraction to going from heavy-urban america to basically-rural america.

Last edited by RVlover; 09-03-2009 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: added

Old 10-07-2013, 12:12 AM

20 posts, read 76,494 times
The problem with Pensacola is that it's an incredibly beautiful area, but one which is ruled over by an unbelievably corrupt local government that practically chases off all new prospective industry with pitchforks and torches. This ruling clique is a particularly nasty little old boys' network and they like to keep things nicely under their boot=heel, just like they've always been.

Also, good luck finding work in Pensacola if you're not career military or in some field with military connection somehow. And Escambia County also has the worst education scores of any county in Florida, so good luck raising children who are competitive to move up in life -- your children will grow up to be fun-loving but dumb-ass characters off the TV show "Trailer Park Boys".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola