Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chicks 1guy View Post
The Bad
Eagles fans
I like this part the best...lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 02:01 PM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times
Since this thread mentioned Delaware County, I figured I would try my best to provide some tips and insight for people about the inner-ring suburbs of Delaware County, one of which I grew up in.

One thing you need to remember is that they border West and Southwest Philly and most of them aren't very large in area so it's basically like bordering West and Southwest Philly no matter how far out into the working class suburbs you go. It simply gets lesser and lesser as you go further out from the city but it's still there. In other words, remember that you are still basically in the city if you're going to live in or go to school in Delco's inner-ring suburbs. Be street smart, lock your cars and houses at night or any time you leave your house alone, and never take for granted that you haven't had anything stolen or been in a fight or been broken into.

If you can handle it though, there's not only lots for kids and families and adults to do but it can be a great place to live. The schools have some of the problems of city schools but Upper Darby is a place to get a more than decent education and plenty of kids go on to college from UDHS and Bonner and Prendie. There's also great extra-curriculars in the Upper Darby School District and a great program for kids with special needs if you happen to need that. There's youth leagues all over, places to learn instruments, plenty of parks and other places for kids to do things, and 69th Street and the surrounding area has lots of shopping and places to eat, as well as the Tower theater and a movie theater, though maybe not the type of retail or restaurants or other things people in more upscale areas have access to.

The inner-ring suburbs are hands down the best area for authentic food of all ethnicities outside of Philadelphia, and for my money I'd say that Clifton Heights is the best place for food out of all of the inner-ring suburbs. Between Rosatti's, The Clam Tavern, The Breakfast Club, and some other neighborhood staples, it's definitely somewhere anybody looking for some good food outside of Philly should check out. If things like the movie theater and the Bazaar were still around, you'd have even more to do and eat and buy and see there.

Everything is also accessible through public transportation for the most part as well, including Delaware County Community College (which is a solid school where you can get a good education on the cheap and play competitive sports, among other things) and other area technical schools such as CHI and Empire beauty schools to name a few. It's obviously not for everybody though.

That's about as best I can prepare anybody for living in the inner-ring suburbs, and I think it's important that we get some objective and not just negative things said about them.

Oh, and another important thing to remember is that Chester is not an inner-ring suburb but its own city. It's very important that you don't mix the two up because Chester is much different than the inner-ring suburbs surrounding Philly.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:33 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Theres much more to Delaware county than the inner ring suburbs.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 PM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times
I'm offering advice based on my own experience, and since most people are only saying the bad things about the inner-ring suburbs, I figured I'd give a more objective, complete description of them.

I've never lived in Media or Springfield or on the Main Line or the other parts of Delaware County outside of the inner-ring suburbs. It wouldn't be right for me to try to describe or say anything about places I have never lived in.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,314,129 times
Visitor's Guide to Philadelphia and Surrounding

Contains a bunch of youtube videos related to Philadelphia locations.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:37 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Guys, US News rankings are garbarge. Rutgers trumps any public school in PA. Rutgers is one of the largest and most prestigious research universities in the world. Princeton is Princeton. Nothing in PA can touch them.
I was just wandering through this forum and noticed this discussion on universities. Things must have changed a bit since I was looking for a college 35 years ago! Back then, the University of Pennsylvania as a private Ivy League university topped anything else in PA. Princeton was considered a slightly higher Ivy League school, but not by much. U of P also ranked higher than Rutgers. Penn State was considered to be a jock and party school, nowhere near U of P.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:08 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I was just wandering through this forum and noticed this discussion on universities. Things must have changed a bit since I was looking for a college 35 years ago! Back then, the University of Pennsylvania as a private Ivy League university topped anything else in PA. Princeton was considered a slightly higher Ivy League school, but not by much. U of P also ranked higher than Rutgers. Penn State was considered to be a jock and party school, nowhere near U of P.
Yea things have changed, but that poster was exaggerating.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:17 AM

77 posts, read 129,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Since this thread mentioned Delaware County, I figured I would try my best to provide some tips and insight for people about the inner-ring suburbs of Delaware County, one of which I grew up in.

One thing you need to remember is that they border West and Southwest Philly and most of them aren't very large in area so it's basically like bordering West and Southwest Philly no matter how far out into the working class suburbs you go. It simply gets lesser and lesser as you go further out from the city but it's still there. In other words, remember that you are still basically in the city if you're going to live in or go to school in Delco's inner-ring suburbs. Be street smart, lock your cars and houses at night or any time you leave your house alone, and never take for granted that you haven't had anything stolen or been in a fight or been broken into.

If you can handle it though, there's not only lots for kids and families and adults to do but it can be a great place to live. The schools have some of the problems of city schools but Upper Darby is a place to get a more than decent education and plenty of kids go on to college from UDHS and Bonner and Prendie. There's also great extra-curriculars in the Upper Darby School District and a great program for kids with special needs if you happen to need that. There's youth leagues all over, places to learn instruments, plenty of parks and other places for kids to do things, and 69th Street and the surrounding area has lots of shopping and places to eat, as well as the Tower theater and a movie theater, though maybe not the type of retail or restaurants or other things people in more upscale areas have access to.

The inner-ring suburbs are hands down the best area for authentic food of all ethnicities outside of Philadelphia, and for my money I'd say that Clifton Heights is the best place for food out of all of the inner-ring suburbs. Between Rosatti's, The Clam Tavern, The Breakfast Club, and some other neighborhood staples, it's definitely somewhere anybody looking for some good food outside of Philly should check out. If things like the movie theater and the Bazaar were still around, you'd have even more to do and eat and buy and see there.

Everything is also accessible through public transportation for the most part as well, including Delaware County Community College (which is a solid school where you can get a good education on the cheap and play competitive sports, among other things) and other area technical schools such as CHI and Empire beauty schools to name a few. It's obviously not for everybody though.

That's about as best I can prepare anybody for living in the inner-ring suburbs, and I think it's important that we get some objective and not just negative things said about them.

Oh, and another important thing to remember is that Chester is not an inner-ring suburb but its own city. It's very important that you don't mix the two up because Chester is much different than the inner-ring suburbs surrounding Philly.
You neglected to mention Gaetano's Pizza, too. I will be hitting them up while watching the Eagles play out this sad, sad string.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yea things have changed, but that poster was exaggerating.
Seriously. I wouldn't say Penn State and Pitt are leaps and bounds ahead of Rutgers these days, but they are better-balanced research institutions with the endowments to match (Rutgers-NB's is only $700 million). They're a lot more selective to boot (especially Pitt, which has seen a meteoric rise in academic quality over the past 15 years--Pitt's M + CR medians jumped 50 points in the four years I attended).

Penn is no longer that far behind Princeton. Princeton may be mildly more preferable for a core liberal arts education, but Penn's interdisciplinary approach to education (and the slew of top professional schools to match) is really only beaten by Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.

US News rankings have nothing on the garbage of weak, anecdotal opinions outdated by 30 years of change.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:53 PM

77 posts, read 129,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Penn is no longer that far behind Princeton. Princeton may be mildly more preferable for a core liberal arts education, but Penn's interdisciplinary approach to education (and the slew of top professional schools to match) is really only beaten by Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.
Totally right. Princeton may be tops in the U.S. on undergraduate core studies, but Penn has it all over them in terms of graduate schools and research. And, of course, the Ivies are not the most rigorous universities when it comes to actual workload. The people I know who went to Swarthmore had to hit the books WAY more than the Penn kids, outside of maybe the Engineering kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia