Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:49 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
Totally right. Princeton may be tops in the U.S. on undergraduate core studies, but Penn has it all over them in terms of graduate schools and research. And, of course, the Ivies are not the most rigorous universities when it comes to actual workload. The people I know who went to Swarthmore had to hit the books WAY more than the Penn kids, outside of maybe the Engineering kids.
I would actually say Swarthmore is a rare exception to the grade inflation prevalent at not just Ivies, but top schools in general outside of engineering and the hard sciences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 12:29 AM

77 posts, read 129,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I would actually say Swarthmore is a rare exception to the grade inflation prevalent at not just Ivies, but top schools in general outside of engineering and the hard sciences.
I took mostly History and Sociology classes at Penn. Not exactly taxing. I love the old joke about Penn: "Q: How many Penn students does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Just one, but he gets six credits for it."

Old 12-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I took mostly History and Sociology classes at Penn. Not exactly taxing. I love the old joke about Penn: "Q: How many Penn students does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Just one, but he gets six credits for it."
That's far more a history and sociology thing than a Penn thing.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:10 PM

77 posts, read 129,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
That's far more a history and sociology thing than a Penn thing.
I would tend to agree, but Penn's workload wasn't onerous, especially after coming from a very prestigious private high school. Even #1 Wharton wasn't that bad. Engineering and Nursing had their asses kicked, but liberal arts and business students didn't seem to be killing themselves. I guess because it was Penn and not Cornell!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I would tend to agree, but Penn's workload wasn't onerous, especially after coming from a very prestigious private high school. Even #1 Wharton wasn't that bad. Engineering and Nursing had their asses kicked, but liberal arts and business students didn't seem to be killing themselves. I guess because it was Penn and not Cornell!
This is getting off-topic, but I'll conclude by noting that working like crazy and learning are ultimately two different things.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:17 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Thank you for the concern about remaining on-topic. General conversation about colleges in or close to the are more relevant to their own thread whether on the Philadelphia or Education forums.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 AM

243 posts, read 452,459 times
I did a search and couldn't find a thread with photos of the city. I clicked on the link in Post 91 in this thread, and it took me to an invalid page. Does anyone know if a photo thread for Philadelphia exists, and could you post a link please? Thank you

Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Hello View Post
I did a search and couldn't find a thread with photos of the city. I clicked on the link in Post 91 in this thread, and it took me to an invalid page. Does anyone know if a photo thread for Philadelphia exists, and could you post a link please? Thank you
I googled 'Philadelphia photos city-data.com' and a thread titled "Philadelphia Photo Thread" came up. GREAT PHOTOGRAPHS, btw! Check it out.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:17 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
This is the link: Philadelphia Photo Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:32 PM

243 posts, read 452,459 times
Thank you both! I should have tried using Google; I'll keep that in mind next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia