Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2007, 12:30 AM

13 posts, read 63,946 times

Advertisements

In watching the scenes from Used Cars, the area around the dealership in Mesa has been built up greatly since 1980. You can't recognize it now. "why that price is too xxxxxx high!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 10:24 PM

4 posts, read 27,546 times
Question Indian School & Central Ave. Memories?

I am looking for memories from the area around Indian School and Central Ave. for artwork that will be part of the new light rail station there.

If you have a short anecdote that you would like to share -- it could have happened at the school, or in the neighborhood, at the Carnation Dairy or the old McDonald's or on the bus, whether it happened yesterday or 80 years ago -- I'd love to hear it. I'm also looking for old photos of the area.

If you would like more information on the project, you can find it at:

Indian School Stories

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 48,196 times
I'm sure you are trying to keep it sweet but how about a mention of the 2 helicopter news crews that crashed into each other a few months back. I was at the am/pm and saw the aftermath. That was a bad afternoon.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:41 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
I used to always go to the McDonald's on Central and Indian School when I was a kid. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures. I check out a website I've seen before and I do recall seeing a picture of the McDonald's that was there.

I also remember Sir George's Restaurant, that used to be a couple of blocks west of Central on the north side of Indian School. My parents always took us over there.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:17 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
Here's a website that has a picture of the McDonald's that was on Central and Indian School. The webpage also has an email address of somebody you can contact about using the picture, or he might even give you more information for your project.
McDonald's 1954 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com:80/photos/35245379@N00/109900261/ - broken link)

Old 01-07-2008, 03:42 PM

148 posts, read 847,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucking View Post
I am looking for memories from the area around Indian School and Central Ave. for artwork that will be part of the new light rail station there.

If you have a short anecdote that you would like to share -- it could have happened at the school, or in the neighborhood, at the Carnation Dairy or the old McDonald's or on the bus, whether it happened yesterday or 80 years ago -- I'd love to hear it. I'm also looking for old photos of the area.

If you would like more information on the project, you can find it at:

Indian School Stories

Thanks!
I went to Central High School from 1988-1992 and was on their cross country and track teams. My favorite store to buy running shoes was the Strapped Jock which was actually at 3rd street and Indian School right next to the Wendy's on the south side of the street. I can't remember which year it burned down but I remember being very sad about that.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:08 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much! I'm looking for all sorts of memories-- positive and negative.... I've been wondering about using the helicopter crash, but decided against it because I'm looking to use personal memories-- short stories of interesting things that happened to people at these spots, and sadly, the people involved in the accident can't tell us their stories.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:14 AM

11 posts, read 48,196 times
Contact the pilots families. I'm sure they would be happy to have a few paragraphs written about them so they are not forgotten.

On a happier note, I discovered that I was living on the holiday parade route one morning. I was knocked out of bed by the drums of a marching band. I saw the whole parade from a balcony... It was fun, I was in such a good mood I decided to treat my self to am/pm coffee and a scratcher. I won $300, the coffee was awful.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:55 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
The Phoenix Indian School, on the Northeast Corner - both and good memories about the school. Many of Native American kids were able to come to Phoenix and get a great education in a healthy enviornment - compared to what was available on their particular reservations at the time.

The bad memories are, they were not allowed off the school grounds - early in its history, native americans were not allowed to live anywhere in the valley but on the Indian School property.

The Carnation Ice Cream Parlour! My wife went into labor there - while eating a Hot Fudge Sundae - The Manager comped our food!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:28 PM

Good idea-- I'll see what I can do to contact them.

Where was this balcony where you saw the parade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area