Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 01:42 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times

Advertisements

Remember, the actual team name was changed from Phoenix Cardinals to AZ Cardinals way before Glendale. Remember Benson's hilarious one about Bissell giving us The Bird."?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 07:41 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I think the real story here is that people on social media will complain about ANYTHING.

Yep, nailed it perfectly here. We're literally the Grand Canyon State, which is one of the coolest slogans to have in the entire nation. And people are complaining about having it featured in a super bowl ad? LOL

Old 02-04-2023, 08:44 AM

189 posts, read 195,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yep, nailed it perfectly here. We're literally the Grand Canyon State, which is one of the coolest slogans to have in the entire nation. And people are complaining about having it featured in a super bowl ad? LOL
The Grand Canyon is a 3 hour drive from downtown. What’s the threshold for people? Maybe if it was just a one hour drive folks wouldn’t be so up in arms about its use in a Super Bowl promo? Either way, it seems like a pretty silly complaint, people are just bored I guess.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:44 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Clueless as usual. Featuring the Grand Canyon in our Super Bowl promotions is on the same level as if L.A. promoted Yosemite when the game is played there. Both Grand Canyon & Yosemite are beautiful natural wonders, but they are far removed from the host cities. Maybe you can explain why L.A., New Orleans, Houston, Miami, and other host cities have no shame in featuring their city skylines/attractions, instead of displaying a natural attraction hundreds of miles away like Phoenix does. Heck, we can't even say Phoenix is the host city. It's Arizona which is the host. What does Phoenix have to be ashamed of???

Old 02-04-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
What does Phoenix have to be ashamed of???
According to some on here, a lot. I don’t agree though, I think it has a great deal going for it.

In any case, I believe the promo with the Grand Canyon came from NFL Media, not Phoenix or the host committee.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUgrad09 View Post
According to some on here, a lot. I don’t agree though, I think it has a great deal going for it.

In any case, the promo with the Grand Canyon came from NFL Media, not Phoenix or the host committee.
True, but I believe a lot of that had to do with how Phoenix is promoted as a (non) city on a national/global level. Everybody knows about Arizona as a state, but you hardly ever hear Phoenix being mentioned as an important destination city, even though it's one of the most populous in the nation, and the hub of the SW. Practically everything here is Arizona this, Arizona that. All of our major sports teams except the Suns have the Arizona name. It's all related to the topic of this thread. Phoenix has an issue with identity for some odd reason. Not really a crisis, but it is a problem.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
True, but I believe a lot of that had to do with how Phoenix is promoted as a (non) city on a national/global level. Everybody knows about Arizona as a state, but you hardly ever hear Phoenix being mentioned as an important destination city, even though it's one of the most populous in the nation, and the hub of the SW. Practically everything here is Arizona this, Arizona that. All of our major sports teams except the Suns have the Arizona name. It's all related to the topic of this thread. Phoenix has an issue with identity for some odd reason. Not really a crisis, but it is a problem.
Just because the Coyotes and Cardinals changed their name from Phoenix to Arizona doesn’t mean the city has an identity crisis. Arizona just sounds cool.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUgrad09 View Post
Just because the Coyotes and Cardinals changed their name from Phoenix to Arizona doesn’t mean the city has an identity crisis. Arizona just sounds cool.
Well, a lot of states have cool names. California is probably one of the coolest according to a lot of people, but their teams are not the California Dodgers, California 49ers, California Padres, California Kings, or the California Lakers. The only team there which doesn't have a city identity is the Golden State Warriors ... and to be honest, that subtracts identity from San Francisco, even though San Francisco is very well known as a destination city. Are you saying the Phoenix name is uncool?

Old 02-04-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Are you saying the Phoenix name is uncool?
No, although I think Arizona sounds cooler. Maybe it’s the number of syllables, who knows. Phoenix is THE main metro in the state of Arizona (70% of the state population), however, so for a lot of people there’s a lot of overlap psychologically.

Old 02-04-2023, 12:46 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
I sure don't understand the hating on Bill Goodykoontz or his writing, he's one of the best, on par with Carl Hiaasen. As to it being an op-ed, it wasn't nor did it claim to be. Maybe you don't know what an op-ed is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area