Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2023, 03:38 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Enjoy it. This is likely the last Super Bowl for Arizona. State Farm stadium is getting long in the tooth and is a veritable dump when compared to the newer nearly two billion dollars venues in LA and Atlanta.

The Fiesta Bowl is as good as it will get for years unless taxpayers ante up for a new stadium.
And your prediction is based on what insight? They just played in Tampa last year which is a stadium built in 1996 and it's going to NOLA in 2 years which is even older. Word from those in the know is the NFL is really happy with how the Super Bowl has gone in Phoenix this year. They love the split setup in vastly improved urban areas ranging from downtown Phoenix to downtown Scottsdale, along with the drastic improvement in/around the stadium in Glendale.

The Super Bowl is about way more than just the game/stadium. Bidwill is a highly regarded owner within the NFL itself, I won't be surprised if it's back again for a 5th time before 2030.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 04:17 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
And your prediction is based on what insight? They just played in Tampa last year which is a stadium built in 1996 and it's going to NOLA in 2 years which is even older. Word from those in the know is the NFL is really happy with how the Super Bowl has gone in Phoenix this year. They love the split setup in vastly improved urban areas ranging from downtown Phoenix to downtown Scottsdale, along with the drastic improvement in/around the stadium in Glendale.

The Super Bowl is about way more than just the game/stadium. Bidwill is a highly regarded owner within the NFL itself, I won't be surprised if it's back again for a 5th time before 2030.
NOLA is spending 450 million on a renovation. And it's NOLA. They have a real identity. Florida will always be part of the rotation. Identity again. Phoenix has no identity so has to attract them on hospitality and intangibles.

The NFL has been chasing the latest and greatest stadium for several years now and I believe that trend will only strengthen as new stadiums are built, one more outrageously expensive than the last. I can't see the Valley ever springing for another stadium or much in the way of renovations with the Cardinals being the dreadful franchise they are and have been ever since they came here. It will fall into disrepair and be abandoned when the Cardinals move to Oklahoma City or something.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:26 PM

63 posts, read 67,566 times
Quote:
Enjoy it. This is likely the last Super Bowl for Arizona. State Farm stadium is getting long in the tooth and is a veritable dump when compared to the newer nearly two billion dollars venues in LA and Atlanta.

The Fiesta Bowl is as good as it will get for years unless taxpayers ante up for a new stadium.
Las Vegas entering the rotation next year is going to change everything. Las Vegas is going to set a new standard.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:04 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:

I'll add something else to this. Everybody likes to brag about how great our weather is this time of year, and that's one advantage Phoenix has over many of the other host cities ... aside from L.A. (which has similar weather to ours), and the Florida venues (which are usually warmer & more humid). Vegas has a desert climate like ours, but they're subject to colder temperatures during the winter. Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas, and Houston are more likely to have inclement conditions, despite their locations. The Super Bowl is most often held in Sunbelt cities because of the odds for better weather.

Quote:
The NFL has been chasing the latest and greatest stadium for several years now and I believe that trend will only strengthen as new stadiums are built, one more outrageously expensive than the last. I can't see the Valley ever springing for another stadium or much in the way of renovations with the Cardinals being the dreadful franchise they are and have been ever since they came here. It will fall into disrepair and be abandoned when the Cardinals move to Oklahoma City or something.
Man, you're the epitome of encouragement! The only thing wrong with State Farm Stadium is the location. It should have been built in Tempe as originally planned. Aside from that, it's not an obsolete venue by any means, and still considered state of the art. It has taken a considerably long time for development to take shape in that area, but some noteworthy additions are finally coming to the Westgate area (such as VAI Resort / Mattel Adventure Park). It's a shame that the Cardinals have been a lousy team, but I don't see how they could improve by moving to another city.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:54 PM

189 posts, read 195,679 times
And good luck getting the NFL owners to agree to abandon the Phoenix market. Just because people pontificate random stuff in a forum on the internet doesn’t mean it has any basis in reality.

I believe it was the City of Phoenix/Sky Harbor that shut down the new stadium in Tempe. Makes one wonder who on the city council was actually to blame for such a lack of foresight. Location aside however, I’d be surprised if the Valley didn’t get another Super Bowl in the next 10 years.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:04 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc1998 View Post
Las Vegas entering the rotation next year is going to change everything. Las Vegas is going to set a new standard.

I think every city says that every year.

Old 02-13-2023, 02:21 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc1998 View Post
Yes adding another city into the rotation will lengthen the amount of time the Super Bowl comes back again. Plus add in Buffalo building an new stadium (how is that going to work having a Super Bowl there in February), so yeah it might be a while before it returns here.

Old 02-13-2023, 02:26 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
Quote:
I think every city says that every year.
True, but it's not a regular city. The NFL has already commented on how the condensed resort corridor with its many arenas and such near the stadium is a major plus.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:23 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Yes adding another city into the rotation will lengthen the amount of time the Super Bowl comes back again. Plus add in Buffalo building an new stadium (how is that going to work having a Super Bowl there in February), so yeah it might be a while before it returns here.
Here again, we have the weather in our advantage over Buffalo, and many other locations. This is something I don't like to admit very much, but it tends to work in our favor when selecting host cities. What other city with an NFL franchise has mostly favorable weather in February (besides L.A., and possibly Miami & Tampa)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
True, but it's not a regular city. The NFL has already commented on how the condensed resort corridor with its many arenas and such near the stadium is a major plus.
Very true. Vegas is new to the pro sports market, but Allegiant Stadium was built in a much better location (close to the Strip, instead of out in exurban territory like State Farm Stadium). It's also favorable to have plentiful hotels in close proximity to the venue.

Old 02-14-2023, 04:43 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Here again, we have the weather in our advantage over Buffalo, and many other locations. This is something I don't like to admit very much, but it tends to work in our favor when selecting host cities. What other city with an NFL franchise has mostly favorable weather in February (besides L.A., and possibly Miami & Tampa)?

Very true. Vegas is new to the pro sports market, but Allegiant Stadium was built in a much better location (close to the Strip, instead of out in exurban territory like State Farm Stadium). It's also favorable to have plentiful hotels in close proximity to the venue.
When CES is going on during pre-COVID, 170,000 people came to Vegas. And getting a hotel room wasn't easy. That said, Las Vegas has 150,000 hotel rooms. I read the PHX metro has only around 70,000 rooms. Supposedly 140,000 people fly in for the Super Bowl. So the best I can tell and based off of the numbers, if it is tough to find a hotel room next year, then Vegas must fill up with tens of thousands of hookers. Certainly at CES, they were all over the place.

In all seriousness, if Vegas does a good job hosting, it's going to get a lot of repeat Superbowls in the future.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-14-2023 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: Sorry, but that last sentence attracted a lot flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area