Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 11:21 AM

13,298 posts, read 7,334,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
No question about that but then everything has gone up over the past few years. Like in any business, if you are good, you are in demand. A skilled AC vendor living in Gilbert, Az isn't going to Phx unless to install a new unit. Why should they. They are booked solid and won't travel (or work Sundays) unless properly compensated.

I remember 2010 contractor was telling me he was one day away from bankruptcy had a roof top AC unit replaced for $3k. Should have bought an extra one stored it in my shed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 04:09 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,794,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
My mother's AC quit last night I haven't had time to look at she got an AC guy out there turned out to be the start cap. The cap was a dual cap one for the condenser fan and compressor which is fine 10-year-old AC unit, but he priced it at $440 gave her a $90 discount. I understand it cost money to run a business, but a cap should not be more than $60 and an $120 an hour service call should be $180. When she protested, he went into a long-winded argument why it cost so much now days to run a business.

So she's complaining about paying $35 a year for the next 10 years when it quits or when she had it originally she paid to put it in what did it cost then? Prioces do go up yes but I figure she's not going to be calling again for another 10 years where's the reason to complain then?

Old 09-09-2023, 04:16 PM

17,351 posts, read 22,090,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Wow I'm in the wrong business I found the same cap he put in on Amazon for $22. Like I said I understand that part cost has nothing to do with labor. These guys must make 3000-4000 in profit a day what can you do so hot spend anything to get it running again.
Your mom got rolled........ now she know who NOT to call again!

Old 09-09-2023, 06:42 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,429,170 times
Get a maintenance contract if you can't DIY.

Old 09-10-2023, 05:49 AM

9,751 posts, read 11,174,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Get a maintenance contract if you can't DIY.
Agreed. The next trick is to figure out what service company you are going to hire. Some companies are not exactly honest. Just look at most of their online feedback.

I found a decent company (letter grade B-). They are far from perfect. Most companies in that business outsource contractors that agree to work with them. I've had an AC problem that took 3 service calls to fix and I paid 3 different trip charges and three different techs (it was intermittent). This is in a 2016 Carrier unit. It quickly cycles on and off. But not every time and generally, only when it is extremely hot outside. It's a cap (nope), there is too much freon (nope). I asked for the best of the best (and talked with the owner of the AC company). He showed me I had a kink in the flex line as it was bent some. He was convinced that was the problem. Nope. I get to make another appt ($75 more) when I return. The next trick is to get them to recreate it. It has to be a HOT day. You get my point.. But, I just explained an odd issue which isn't typical. But the other yahoos that simply replaced a cap were certainly wrong.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:08 AM

39,086 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Agreed. The next trick is to figure out what service company you are going to hire. Some companies are not exactly honest. Just look at most of their online feedback.

I found a decent company (letter grade B-). They are far from perfect. Most companies in that business outsource contractors that agree to work with them. I've had an AC problem that took 3 service calls to fix and I paid 3 different trip charges and three different techs (it was intermittent). This is in a 2016 Carrier unit. It quickly cycles on and off. But not every time and generally, only when it is extremely hot outside. It's a cap (nope), there is too much freon (nope). I asked for the best of the best (and talked with the owner of the AC company). He showed me I had a kink in the flex line as it was bent some. He was convinced that was the problem. Nope. I get to make another appt ($75 more) when I return. The next trick is to get them to recreate it. It has to be a HOT day. You get my point.. But, I just explained an odd issue which isn't typical. But the other yahoos that simply replaced a cap were certainly wrong.
TXV, compressor overheating (either for real or defective thermal sensor/board)?

Old 09-10-2023, 07:14 AM

1,874 posts, read 849,557 times
mama didnt get rolled, that was really a good price for a tech to come out, have a truck, go get the supplies. trouble shoot, insurance. not bad price but it could be done way cheaper

so you need to keep an extra contact, cap, maybe a fan motor in supply in your closet just in case. you can learn on you tube, and you can buy, amazon also on the plumbing side you need some flapper, floats, shutoff, hoses. in the closet too, wax seat ring, toilet bolts and repair ring

comes in handy when it breaks on a sunday

Old 09-10-2023, 10:41 AM

13,795 posts, read 8,032,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
mama didnt get rolled, that was really a good price for a tech to come out, have a truck, go get the supplies. trouble shoot, insurance. not bad price but it could be done way cheaper

so you need to keep an extra contact, cap, maybe a fan motor in supply in your closet just in case. you can learn on you tube, and you can buy, amazon also on the plumbing side you need some flapper, floats, shutoff, hoses. in the closet too, wax seat ring, toilet bolts and repair ring

comes in handy when it breaks on a sunday

I agree. If the work was done correct and there are no further problems. Great. However, the fact the vendor quickly dropped the $440 down $90 after the woman balked isn't a good sign.

I would recommend searching Next-door and see which AC vendors keep popping up in your area.

Old 09-10-2023, 01:23 PM

10,317 posts, read 6,866,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's a very simple DIY project. All it takes is a screwdriver. You can buy capacitors at Home Depot, Ace Hardware etc, too.
Mine went out 2 weeks ago. (Just before hurricane Hilary.) Capacitor was unavailable for my Goodman unit. 3 month back order from just about all the online suppliers. Anyway, called up a local "fix it now" operation. They were here in 90 minutes. total cost: $743. Either way, SWMBO is happy (and cool.)

Old 09-10-2023, 05:03 PM

583 posts, read 306,998 times
Labor is so expensive in this country process to do simple things are beyond many budgets. Save the middle class thay matter more than anything. Biggest differences vs low cost countries is cost of labor and gov taxes. Labor costs are driven by add ons and lack of competition for skilled labor to keep,rates affordable. But the real issue is high cost of living here that’s what’s killing the middle class. Inflation is a disaster and prices aren’t dropping as some claim it’s the rate of increase that down.

Existential threat along with our debt levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area