Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 03:09 PM

145 posts, read 149,863 times

Advertisements

Not in the Phoenix area, but just had mine done which included a full service/cleaning and the cost was $175.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 03:58 PM

2,060 posts, read 1,617,061 times
That price does sound a bit steep for just replacing a capacitor. An AC company quoted me $4,100 to replace a package AC system at my Florida rental property several years ago. I ordered one from the internet for $1,200 with free shipping. Installed it myself, and it still works great! I had experience in the HVAC field, which helped a lot.

Old 09-11-2023, 05:59 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,186,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
True. However, I have a local company that I bought an extended warranty from. $750 a year covers my 3 air units, water heater, and appliances, $75 more for sprinkler leaks. It's $75 a service call (you can combine two events so long it is the same contractor). I've struggled with my late model Carriers. Plus garbage disposal, plus my dryer. I'm glad I bought it. Only one call to make and I don't have to shop contractors. It makes sense for my situation. I'm signing up again this year.

In my experience, those caps go out every few years in AZ (every 15 years in MN).
I also have issues with my new Goodman 5t packaged unit on the roof. Cap goes out 1-2 times per year. Put a thermostat in the compartment. Turns out our extreme summer temps make cap run hotter than 85C (that's what they are spec'ed to usually) and that kills them. Closed-in compartment directly exposed to sun plus the 2-stage makes it run much longer continuously (which is good for energy consumption btw). But it all overheats the cap. Solution: not sure if it works permanently yet but I put some vent holes in the compartment to get cold air in there. It seems like AC manufacturers do not put our extreme heat into consideration.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:57 AM

1,900 posts, read 863,257 times
on hvac was rally bad is price of freon, some like the old r22 is running $400 a pound. its one of those how cold can you afford

Old 09-12-2023, 07:21 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,213,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
Labor is so expensive in this country process to do simple things are beyond many budgets. Save the middle class thay matter more than anything. Biggest differences vs low cost countries is cost of labor and gov taxes. Labor costs are driven by add ons and lack of competition for skilled labor to keep,rates affordable. But the real issue is high cost of living here that’s what’s killing the middle class. Inflation is a disaster and prices aren’t dropping as some claim it’s the rate of increase that down.

Existential threat along with our debt levels.
In the last few years, the cost of labor went up a solid 30%. I'd say it is a higher percentage increase on the East side of the Valley. It's tough to get used to.

That said, there is a wide range of labor pricing across this country.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:31 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,897,784 times
Now mid September in northernmost Coos County. NH .We don't have AC...IN THE Daytime it's now in 50s ,nights mid 30s ,sorry can't helpyou

Old 09-12-2023, 11:57 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,213,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Now mid September in northernmost Coos County. NH .We don't have AC...IN THE Daytime it's now in 50s ,nights mid 30s ,sorry can't helpyou
Thanks for your contribution. It was a profound post.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:30 PM

1,900 posts, read 863,257 times
my company charge me out at $120 hour, 2 hour minimum plus travel. I dont see that. but that pays for the truck, insurance, offive bldg, copy machine, telephone, ladys in the office. Time when were not busy

its just how they make money, its just business
yes it might be high, but when they replace ducts in attic during summer. its really low

How much cold can you afford

Old 09-12-2023, 07:21 PM

13,905 posts, read 8,092,523 times
You're not paying the AC tech, plumber, electrician for the 45 min. they spend fixing the problem. You’re paying for their 25 years of experience.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:30 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,442,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Agreed. The next trick is to figure out what service company you are going to hire. Some companies are not exactly honest. Just look at most of their online feedback.

I found a decent company (letter grade B-). They are far from perfect. Most companies in that business outsource contractors that agree to work with them. I've had an AC problem that took 3 service calls to fix and I paid 3 different trip charges and three different techs (it was intermittent). This is in a 2016 Carrier unit. It quickly cycles on and off. But not every time and generally, only when it is extremely hot outside. It's a cap (nope), there is too much freon (nope). I asked for the best of the best (and talked with the owner of the AC company). He showed me I had a kink in the flex line as it was bent some. He was convinced that was the problem. Nope. I get to make another appt ($75 more) when I return. The next trick is to get them to recreate it. It has to be a HOT day. You get my point.. But, I just explained an odd issue which isn't typical. But the other yahoos that simply replaced a cap were certainly wrong.
Is it a multi speed system? Sounds like a short that occurs during high power. The sleeve of wires coming off the condensing unit is suspect..in extreme conditions, the heat from the copper tube can melt the wire insulation.

Also, did the trouble start with the monsoonal humidity? The condensate drain is critical and some have kill-switches with a full tray...and so many have no clu
e on thermostat differential. 0.5f will cause short cycling on many systems...try 1.5f.

Last edited by DAXhound; 09-12-2023 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area