Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 08:10 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
OOOOOOooooo now y'all riled up the Climate debaters.

It was 80° a couple of days ago. Today's high is 60°. It rained all night. Williams is supposed to get like 10" of snow. By that evidence it must mean AZ is getting colder and more wet since Phoenix's average high in January is 67°.
Do you know what long range data is? Also none of you climate change deniers seems to ever have any evidence that is contrary to scientific evidence that can be accessed very easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 09:31 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
OOOOOOooooo now y'all riled up the Climate debaters.
I'm riled up about people in both camps who claim they have it all figured out. Whenever there is a controversial topic, the truth is always in between both camps. And whenever someone thinks they have it all figured out because it aligns with their political belief, chances are your view is heavily clouded.

Quote:
It was 80° a couple of days ago. Today's high is 60°. It rained all night. Williams is supposed to get like 10" of snow. By that evidence it must mean AZ is getting colder and more wet since Phoenix's average high in January is 67°.
In actuality, big shifts in the magnitude of weather across the world are hints of climate change. As in, it correlates to something going on. The only question that remains is what is the cause (as in, the weighted average).

Someone pointing to that an 80-degree PHX day happened on January 1st as "proof" of anything is, well.... Not very well thought out.

Old 02-02-2024, 09:54 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Yeah. They understand science like MAGA understands patriotism.
You both make the mistake of politicizing science. Not a good idea. Science is science regardless of which party it contradicts.

Edited to ad: I forgot to ask you if you remember what happened when the Inquisition was in charge of science.

Last edited by Lodestar; 02-02-2024 at 10:09 AM..

Old 02-02-2024, 10:44 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I never said I understood their modeling (math and science). I'm an engineer, but I'd have to study the heck out of it. I bet the farm I'm going to agree with the majority who study it for a living.

What I am saying is a bunch of non-technical (far, far, far less than me) are convinced everything we are seeing with the climate is because of their political belief. With one camp, it is man-made. And the oceans are going to rise several feet if we don't stop eating beef and quit burning fossil fuels. I'm also saying a lot of equally non-technical people are 100% convinced it is B.S. Again, because of their political belief: i.e. man has NO control. Their "proof" is by showing the world's temp changes over time.

I'm saying that most are in no technical position to be convinced of either extreme POV. All I know is that a blanket of gas over the earth can warm it. And I also know that things like volcano eruptions impact the temp, too. Hence, I'm technical enough to understand that I'm not technical enough to be so damn bold in my assertion. You might need to read that last sentence twice.
I'm an engineer also (automotive/aerospace). Nice to see others in here.

I certainly can't claim to have all the data at my fingertips that climate scientists have at their disposal, nor the experience and expertise. But I have been studying this subject and the available data for a long time.

For many years I was in your camp, where the jury was out whether global warming was a naturally occurring phenomena or whether the root cause was the burning of fossil fuels by humans. Believe me I was pretty skeptical back in the day when Al Gore would give his goofy talks on the subject. Of course I am skeptical about everything because my job was structural analysis and failure root cause determination.

The tipping point for me in part was what I posted previously - the correlation between CO2 and industrialization is very strong.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/a...ntry=~OWID_WRL

The other data that convinced me was the ice core story. When you look at the chart below showing the CO2 concentrations for the last 700,000 years based on the ice core analysis, you can see a vertical line on the far right. It looks like noise or a data spike, until you realize that the slope of CO2 change in the last 75 years is so extreme compared to the past that it is indeed almost a vertical line.

https://climate.nasa.gov/rails/activ...osition=inline

Not sure the Phoenix forum is the best place to discuss this in any case.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 02-02-2024 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-02-2024, 01:25 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I'm riled up about people in both camps who claim they have it all figured out. Whenever there is a controversial topic, the truth is always in between both camps. And whenever someone thinks they have it all figured out because it aligns with their political belief, chances are your view is heavily clouded.

In actuality, big shifts in the magnitude of weather across the world are hints of climate change. As in, it correlates to something going on. The only question that remains is what is the cause (as in, the weighted average).

Someone pointing to that an 80-degree PHX day happened on January 1st as "proof" of anything is, well.... Not very well thought out.
I was actually agreeing with you in a round about way and yes, we are warming up globally. Pointing to an 80° day in January in Phoenix and saying it is proof of climate change is a bit...misguided. Apparently my sarcasm pointing out that todays high was 60° and is a valid proof point was misinterpreted.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:27 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Do you know what long range data is? Also none of you climate change deniers seems to ever have any evidence that is contrary to scientific evidence that can be accessed very easily.
Where in the world did you get that I am a "climate denier"? Project much?

Old 02-02-2024, 07:52 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Where in the world did you get that I am a "climate denier"? Project much?
Or I just misread your post. If that's the case I'm sorry.

Old 02-02-2024, 11:30 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Not sure the Phoenix forum is the best place to discuss this in any case.

Yeah, but they're all going to die of the heat pretty soon, so it's now or never.

Old 02-03-2024, 05:48 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Yeah, but they're all going to die of the heat pretty soon, so it's now or never.
Not sure, but I am a Midwesterner and love the American Southwest. Can't afford to live there but visit whenever I can. (Not in midsummer though).

Old 02-03-2024, 08:26 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Must be all the swimming pools.
Build them, and the heat will come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area