Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 09:37 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Quote:
When I was in grade school in the 70s, we were told we were heading into an ice age, because records PROVED the earth was cooling off
It didn't happen
He was told wrong when he was in grade school.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/jo...bams2370_1.xml

Quote:
An enduring popular myth suggests that in the 1970s the climate science community was predicting “global cooling” and an “imminent” ice age, an observation frequently used by those who would undermine what climate scientists say today about the prospect of global warming. A review of the literature suggests that, on the contrary, greenhouse warming even then dominated scientists' thinking as being one of the most important forces shaping Earth's climate on human time scales. More importantly than showing the falsehood of the myth, this review describes how scientists of the time built the foundation on which the cohesive enterprise of modern climate science now rests.
And for the ozone layer...

Quote:
In 1987, the Montreal Protocol was adopted to protect the ozone layer by phasing out the chemicals which deplete it. To support compliance, the treaty recognised "common but differentiated responsibilities", staggering phase-out schedules for developed and developing countries and establishing a multilateral fund to provide financial and technical assistance to help developing countries meet their obligations.
During the 1990s and early-2000s, the production and consumption of CFCs was brought to a halt. By 2009, 98% of the chemicals agreed to in the treaty had been phased out.
So following the scientists advice has apparently caused the hole in the ozone layer to shrink and possibly recover by 2065. But we had to sacrifice spray cans to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 10:14 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So therefore don't try?
Yes, don't try obviously stupid stuff. Your simple statement indicates that you would be okay with doing things that have no proof of controlling the climate but "hey, at least we're trying."

Old 02-08-2024, 10:32 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
He was told wrong when he was in grade school.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/jo...bams2370_1.xml
The "during the 70's we were told by climate scientists of an impending ice age" myth has become a political fact, aka illusory truth. That's what can happen when a lie is repeated on a regular basis.

Old 02-08-2024, 11:17 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So therefore don't try?
lol. Yes, let's just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Who cares about the repercussions!

Old 02-08-2024, 11:17 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Back to Phoenix and the IMPENDING DISASTER. This is the type of action/issue that most solutions devolve into:
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...anopy-17365657

Grants, new programs, barely any follow through or follow up and within a year or two the money is gone and there's nothing to show for it (all my predictions).

Even if you agree that every climate change model is 100% accurate, nobody can prove that the so called remedies will do a damn thing.
To combat "climate change", a $10M government-funded tree planting grant seems semi-idiotic. I planted trees on the side of my yard where the afternoon sun hits the hardest. It cost me $120 for three 6' tall (skinny) trees. It will eventually save my house paint and not bake the house as much. If it's such a great idea (and I think it will be when they grow a lot taller), then I should be the one writing out the check. And it shouldn't make the papers as news.

Old 02-08-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
To combat "climate change", a $10M government-funded tree planting grant seems semi-idiotic. I planted trees on the side of my yard where the afternoon sun hits the hardest. It cost me $120 for three 6' tall (skinny) trees. It will eventually save my house paint and not bake the house as much. If it's such a great idea (and I think it will be when they grow a lot taller), then I should be the one writing out the check. And it shouldn't make the papers as news.
I too have many trees (8) and plants on my property and I didn't need someone to give me a (free, by gov't standards) tree and a brochure on the advantages of shade.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:07 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
A projected high of 80° - in January?

This does not bode well.

I had the same thoughts as you. Yes, it was only a couple days earlier than the average day for 'first 80-degree day' but IMO it is a harbinger of a long hot summer. Probably longer and hotter than the last.

Today I got confirmation of my worries in a NY Times article on ocean water temperatures.

This gift link will get you past the paywall and in to read it for yourself and see the great graphics.

The article is about warmer ocean temperatures which feed heavier rainfalls like the atmospheric river that hit California this past week. I expect more of it.

A few excerpts:

Quote:
The exceptional warmth that first enveloped the planet last summer is continuing strong into 2024: Last month clocked in as the hottest January ever measured, ... It was the hottest January on record for the oceans, too, according to the European Union’s Copernicus Climate Change Service. ... The oceans absorb the great majority of the extra heat that greenhouse gases in the atmosphere trap near Earth’s surface, making them a reliable gauge of how much and how quickly we are warming the planet. Warmer oceans provide more fuel for hurricanes and atmospheric river storms and can disrupt marine life. ... January makes eight months in a row that average air temperatures, across both the continents and the seas, have topped all prior records for the time of year. All in all, 2023 was Earth’s hottest year in a century and a half.

The chart near the top of the article shows the situation. I don't expect widespread mammoth disasters all at once, but a slow moving one over time where disasters will be localized or regional. But I will not stick my head in the sand and convince myself that all is well. Because it isn't.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:47 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I had the same thoughts as you. Yes, it was only a couple days earlier than the average day for 'first 80-degree day' but IMO it is a harbinger of a long hot summer. Probably longer and hotter than the last.

Today I got confirmation of my worries in a NY Times article on ocean water temperatures.

This gift link will get you past the paywall and in to read it for yourself and see the great graphics.

The article is about warmer ocean temperatures which feed heavier rainfalls like the atmospheric river that hit California this past week. I expect more of it.

A few excerpts:

The chart near the top of the article shows the situation. I don't expect widespread mammoth disasters all at once, but a slow moving one over time where disasters will be localized or regional. But I will not stick my head in the sand and convince myself that all is well. Because it isn't.
Most people can only grasp air temperatures specifically in their hometown. Of course, climate change (whatever the cause) gives its biggest inkle by way of surface ocean water temperatures. And here is why https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/...mperature.html But what do "they" know? I mean, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Old 02-08-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

A few excerpts:

I can't speak for others but I don't stick my head in the sand when it comes to climate and pollution.
What I do believe though is that billions and trillions spent on ridiculous bills and insane projects will not only not change the climate but will in the long run make us worse off and unable to meet any future challenges but we have become a country where a relatively small percentage of the people claim to have all the answers and if we'd just follow wholeheartedly without questioning anything, we'll be 100% saved.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:47 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I can't speak for others but I don't stick my head in the sand when it comes to climate and pollution.
What I do believe though is that billions and trillions spent on ridiculous bills and insane projects will not only not change the climate but will in the long run make us worse off and unable to meet any future challenges but we have become a country where a relatively small percentage of the people claim to have all the answers and if we'd just follow wholeheartedly without questioning anything, we'll be 100% saved.
Climate change is a religion for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area