Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 08:56 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times

Advertisements

I getting rare to be able to buy Sock and underwear where I live without it being locked up.

I live in Seattle btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 09:23 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
So you expect Target associates to prevent theft? Should they be armed too?
Or she doesn't know what the heck she's talking about?
I recently ran into a retired cop I know who does loss prevention at Walmart. He's not allowed to stop anyone physically, cannot follow them to their cars (to take down plate numbers) and the store does not call the police when someone shoplifts. He can ask about a purchase as they leave and did they forget to ring up something, but if they just tell him to take a hike he has no recourse. On one day during the holidays he caught people walking away from self check out with over $8500 worth of stuff (he has a handheld wireless device that can show him a copy what just sold at register 'X').

Last edited by Burning Madolf; 02-23-2024 at 09:31 PM..

Old 02-23-2024, 10:20 PM

6,098 posts, read 2,719,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Or she doesn't know what the heck she's talking about?
I recently ran into a retired cop I know who does loss prevention at Walmart. He's not allowed to stop anyone physically, cannot follow them to their cars (to take down plate numbers) and the store does not call the police when someone shoplifts. He can ask about a purchase as they leave and did they forget to ring up something, but if they just tell him to take a hike he has no recourse. On one day during the holidays he caught people walking away from self check out with over $8500 worth of stuff (he has a handheld wireless device that can show him a copy what just sold at register 'X').
And this is the same thing the LP's at Target have told me. That is just nuts no wonder prices are through the roof cause these menaces to society steal because they know they can with impunity.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:00 AM

23,536 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Target aptly named!

Old 02-24-2024, 05:55 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,446,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Har har. I love this. One reason that Target has a lot of theft is because it is too stingy to hire staff to be on the floor. Yes, it's sad to think how many criminally-inclined people there are, but it's growing because there's no one to see them.

So Target's own stinginess is leading to greater theft.
Yes, that's a big part of it. The move to self checkout, which a lot of stores are now rethinking, can be empowering to thieves. It's easier to rationalize theft when it doesn't involve stealing from a person.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:47 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Har har. I love this. One reason that Target has a lot of theft is because it is too stingy to hire staff to be on the floor. Yes, it's sad to think how many criminally-inclined people there are, but it's growing because there's no one to see them.

When I lived in Surprise, I was at an El Mirage Walmart. I asked the employees why there were all kinds of small cameras in the cosmetic section plus signs about shoplifting. They answered that they were not allowed to approach someone for theft. Two employees worked in that section. The reason why they were not able to approach a thief is the possible lawsuits if an employee was hurt OR someone was detained without a rational reason. So the policy was all about the math. i.e. the legal system. So I suppose if you want to blame someone else for the breakdown of society, let's blame the lawyers and the laws (and normally lawyers are making the laws too).

As for blaming Target for being "too cheap." Again, blame the system. Why should someone work if they get welfare, food stamps, free or subsidized housing? Lower-wage workers do not apply for jobs like they did 10 years ago. It's written about non-stop. Ask any business owner. Plus the people who do work call in "sick" often. The employers have to put up with that behavior.

BTW, those El Mirage employees said people would openly steal in front of them and slowly walk out the door. often, they had no concern trying to hide that they were stealing.

Now think!!! Har Har. Hiring more employees that cannot approach thieves will do what again? I'm waiting for your answer.

Basically, we need consequences for bad behavior.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 02-24-2024 at 06:56 AM..

Old 02-24-2024, 08:41 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cents55 View Post
I went to a Super Target today in Phoenix and noticed all the merchandise was locked up from OTC meds to men's care products, soaps, deodorants etc.

This particular store has a lot of theft and one of the LPs told me at its peak Target was losing 10k a day

Very sad it has come to this.

Yes its sad that its coming to that all over. Best Buy has been doing it for a long time already. reasons are obvious. Some home improvement places are locking up wire and some tools. I cant disagree with their reasons. If officers or asset protection people would be allowed to do what should be done, it might lower that percentage of stealing, even just a bit.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:50 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Yes, that's a big part of it. The move to self checkout, which a lot of stores are now rethinking, can be empowering to thieves. It's easier to rationalize theft when it doesn't involve stealing from a person.
Those self checkouts are one of the more bigger reasons its easier to walk away with unpaid items. I think they lose more money in a day from theft than they would just having real cashiers do their jobs.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:50 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,811 times
Quote:

Wow. Just wow.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:07 AM

3,408 posts, read 4,628,760 times
Change the legal system. Punishing criminal behavior would change a lot of this, but people like to cry victim. Businesses have to protect their assets one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area