Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2024, 02:10 PM

2,391 posts, read 2,727,994 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, especially if you have a foam roof, do you have your roofer check it occasionally--and, if so, do they charge you or do it for free?

I've had a roofer that I loved, and recommended to everyone. After they replaced my foam roof, once every couple of years I'd call to ask if they could come by and check to make sure it looked all right. He'd make a casual stop when he was in the neighborhood, and do a quick once-over that just took a few minutes. For no charge.

When I called most recently, I was shocked to find that the company has been sold, the new owner/company doesn't want to be bothered with residential clients, so fobbed that off to another linked company (without notifying the clients). We're still "discussing" things, but preliminarily they don't want to honor the warranty (which is apparently legal) and they are happy to check the roof, but would charge a substantial fee.

I am going to be looking for a new roofer (suggestions are welcome, preferably for a smaller company, which tends to be less expensive). But in the meantime, I wondered what's the norm on check-ups? Was the original company doing me a favor with the quick freebies? Or is that standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 04:23 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,187,118 times
I had a foam roof for 20 years. The company that did mine gave me a warranty. They required an annual inspection (no cost) to maintain the warranty. If your roofer is ghosting you, your warranty is expired.

Old 04-15-2024, 12:36 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,110,246 times
Need to recoat every 5 years.

Asking to recoat or inspect before 5 years is like asking a barber if you need a haircut.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
I had a foam roof for 20 years. The company that did mine gave me a warranty. They required an annual inspection (no cost) to maintain the warranty. If your roofer is ghosting you, your warranty is expired.
No, my warranty isn't expired. Although, that would bring me to another point: Even if the warranty had expired, wouldn't a decent company call to politely let you know, and try to lure you in as a continuing client?

Old 04-16-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Need to recoat every 5 years.

Asking to recoat or inspect before 5 years is like asking a barber if you need a haircut.
Okay, but that's not the question, and your analogy isn't very good, since presumably our mirrors can tell us if we need haircuts. As if happens, my original company was so great that it last far longer. But even a relatively new roof can get damaged.

Old 04-17-2024, 03:51 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,110,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Okay, but that's not the question, and your analogy isn't very good, since presumably our mirrors can tell us if we need haircuts. As if happens, my original company was so great that it last far longer. But even a relatively new roof can get damaged.

Allow me to rephrase and 'splain a bit:

In 2018 we repaired our flat built up roof and added a foam roof. I can't remember how thick it was or the exact polymer they used.

Coated right after the foam roof was "installed."

Instructed to get it inspected within 5 years and possibly recoated.

They can back.

Inspected & recoated. (2023)

Old 05-06-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Allow me to rephrase and 'splain a bit:

In 2018 we repaired our flat built up roof and added a foam roof. I can't remember how thick it was or the exact polymer they used.

Coated right after the foam roof was "installed."

Instructed to get it inspected within 5 years and possibly recoated.

They can back.

Inspected & recoated. (2023)
I had a much better, sturdier installation than most people, with a 10-year warranty. The new company that bought my old company isn't interested in honoring the warranty, and says nothing obligates them to do so.

I don't know what "They can back" means.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:30 AM

5,202 posts, read 3,126,645 times
Not sure what a “foam” roof entails, but I inspected our elastomer roof coatings at least twice a year. Even with a brand-new topcoat, the sun works its magic and I’ve seen cracks appear in some areas after just a few months. Catch these early and you can avoid serious problems. If you need to hire someone to do this, it will likely cost at least $250 these days, but compare that to the cost of a rotted roof deck or a leak that requires ceiling repairs.

We sold that house and I’ll never own another with a flat roof design because of the high expenses of the five-year recoat cycle and the hassles of maintenance.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Not sure what a “foam” roof entails, but I inspected our elastomer roof coatings at least twice a year. Even with a brand-new topcoat, the sun works its magic and I’ve seen cracks appear in some areas after just a few months. Catch these early and you can avoid serious problems. If you need to hire someone to do this, it will likely cost at least $250 these days, but compare that to the cost of a rotted roof deck or a leak that requires ceiling repairs.

We sold that house and I’ll never own another with a flat roof design because of the high expenses of the five-year recoat cycle and the hassles of maintenance.
Foam is indeed elastomeric.

It does seem that the free inspections I used to have are not the norm. However, my first foam roof lasted far longer than five years (with a few repair patches), and when I got this new one, I got a thicker-than-usual coat with a 10-year warranty.

Old Today, 03:13 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,652,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Foam is indeed elastomeric.

It does seem that the free inspections I used to have are not the norm. However, my first foam roof lasted far longer than five years (with a few repair patches), and when I got this new one, I got a thicker-than-usual coat with a 10-year warranty.

I'm sorry to disagree and I certainly mean no disrespect but a foam roof is foam. Elastomeric is completely different. Elastomeric is what typically coats the surface of a foam roof but elastomeric can coat almost any kind of roof. Any regular asphalt shingle roof can be coated with elastomeric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area