Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 03:18 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,723,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Smith's, which became Smitty's, which became part of Fry's, which is turn part of Kroger

Alpha Beta, which became ABCO before its eventual demise
Thanks. That's very useful about Fry's taking over Smitty's. Do you remember if Smitty's had a particular reputation? Like for being cheap, or for having a good bakery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
In the case of Fry's I think it's just their usual process of replacing older, outdated stores with newer more modern ones. Nothing illegal about that.
I never said there was anything intrinsically illegal about it - but in fact it's possible that the FTC may crack down on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Lucky's, Mega Foods, AJ Bayless
Were all three of them large chains? Were they national? Do you know what happened to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
Food-4-Less??
I never heard of them, but I see they still exist. Were they more widespread in the past? Are they cheaper than, say, Fry's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 01:22 AM

16,404 posts, read 30,328,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post

Food for Less

I never heard of them, but I see they still exist. Were they more widespread in the past? Are they cheaper than, say, Fry's?

They are another divisions of Kroger Co. Their nearest store is in El Centro, CA.

The ads look pretty similar to the local Fry's ad. There are substantial price differences between Fry's in Arizona and Smiths in SoCal due to some of the crazy California laws.

In teh Midwest, they are marketed as a value grocery.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:08 AM

9,541 posts, read 16,550,792 times
In the 70s when I was stationed at Williams AFB in Chandler.. There was a chain of Grocery stores called Piggly Wiggly. I use to shop at one on Chandler Blvd and in Mesa. I think that chain stretched from the South to Arizona into the 80s. There are still some in Florida I think.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:55 PM

37 posts, read 32,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Thanks. That's very useful about Fry's taking over Smitty's. Do you remember if Smitty's had a particular reputation? Like for being cheap, or for having a good bakery?

Were all three of them large chains? Were they national? Do you know what happened to them?

Smitty's was one of the first stores I ever went in that in addition to having groceries, had a section with clothing, hardware, toys, etc.. Some also had a restaurant and a snack bar with ice cream.

I think Lucky's was mostly California and Arizona and Nevada early on. GEMCO was another department type store with a grocery section - membership was $1 for life. Apparently GEMCO was owned by Lucky's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Stores

AJ Bayless was in Arizona only. I bagged groceries for AJ Bayless my senior year of HS and my father-in-law worked in the warehouses for them and Basha's.

9 Stores That Anyone Who Grew Up In Arizona Will Undoubtedly Remember

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/arizona/az-old-stores/

Old 05-02-2024, 08:13 PM

252 posts, read 149,120 times
Pic pac

Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,437,783 times
Southwest Supermarkets....in 1998, they had big limes at 40 for a Dollar. Five pound block of white American cheese was 9.99...i bought frozen balls of pizza dough at Romanellis on 35th and Dunlap for 99 cents, and the 25 oz cans of Trader Joe's marinara were also 99 cents. ....made pizzas.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

13,359 posts, read 7,373,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Southwest Supermarkets....in 1998, they had big limes at 40 for a Dollar. Five pound block of white American cheese was 9.99...i bought frozen balls of pizza dough at Romanellis on 35th and Dunlap for 99 cents, and the 25 oz cans of Trader Joe's marinara were also 99 cents. ....made pizzas.
As I get older and last 4 years never experienced inflation like this. Reminds me of my grandfather telling me how bread was 25 cents, and could buy breakfast at a coffee shop for $2. I remember Smittys coffee shops had breakfast for $3-4 wasn't much of a breakfast. Even Denny's was $8-9 for a Grandslam.

I remember like your mentioning so many things were 99 cents. I guess we will be telling our grandkids one day same thing "I remember when you could get a bag of limes for a $1".

Old Today, 05:42 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,437,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
As I get older and last 4 years never experienced inflation like this. Reminds me of my grandfather telling me how bread was 25 cents, and could buy breakfast at a coffee shop for $2. I remember Smittys coffee shops had breakfast for $3-4 wasn't much of a breakfast. Even Denny's was $8-9 for a Grandslam.

I remember like your mentioning so many things were 99 cents. I guess we will be telling our grandkids one day same thing "I remember when you could get a bag of limes for a $1".
40 pound boxes of oranges outside of Bakersfield...3 Bucks.

Old Today, 11:15 PM

13,359 posts, read 7,373,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
40 pound boxes of oranges outside of Bakersfield...3 Bucks.
Not a supermarket in a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area