Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
My 2cts: contests pollsshould lead with the photo captio THEN the photographer's name.
OK, am doing it that way, photo caption/title followed by photographers name.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 PM

Vote for C-D users photo contest:

February 2011 "Theme" Contest

February 2011 "in your Home State" Contest
Thanks in advance!

Rich

Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
I came across an issue someone had with my contribution to Home State contest. Please acquaint self with rules before bothering the Moderator with complaints:

Quote:
The theme in the "In Your Home State" is photographs which you took of your state for U.S.A. entries or your country for those outside the U.S.A.

All photographs must have been taken within 30 days of the date you submitted them.
The first of these two does not require you to post only from the state where you live for most part, but wherever you might be at the time (including countries). This rule is not designed to prevent someone from Texas, to post pictures from New York or London or Tokyo if they happen to be there within the approved time limit for the contest. Which brings us to the second point: The limit is 30 days to the time you post your picture.

The third complaint was questioning whether the person who posted this, took the picture. It must be understood that we are expected to post pictures that we took ourselves (or at least call our own). This goes beyond contest threads, and applies to EVERY photograph posted in this forum/sub-forum.

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 11-09-2011 at 08:07 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
...This rule is not designed to prevent someone from Texas, to post pictures from New York or London or Tokyo if they happen to be there within the approved time limit for the contest...
Interesting, I have never heard it explained this way. SC is my "home state", so I always assumed any photos I entered in this contest must be taken in SC. I prefer your interpretation of the rules, but if that's how it works, IMO both the thread title and the rules are misleading. Just my $0.02...

Old 11-09-2011, 02:45 PM

I am more concerned that the person entering took the picture.

Secondly, that you took it in the last 30 days (But to be honest not sure why. Is the reason "because that is the way it's always been done" good enought).

So what should the title be or what should the rules say?

It currently is;
Quote:
The "In Your Home State" Monthly Contest

The theme in the "In Your Home State" is photographs which you took of your state for U.S.A. entries or your country for those outside the U.S.A.
What if you are on vacation or business in another state? I have been in Florida over a month in the past and being registered to vote in New Mexico, Etc..

Any suggestions?

Rich

Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM

I would say the title is fine, as long as it represents your "home" within the time frame. Perhaps this can be clarified in the rules section.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Interesting, I have never heard it explained this way. SC is my "home state", so I always assumed any photos I entered in this contest must be taken in SC. I prefer your interpretation of the rules, but if that's how it works, IMO both the thread title and the rules are misleading. Just my $0.02...
I agree with this. ^^
I interpret "home state" being where you would receive your mail regularly, your primary residence, not a place you may be be visiting at the time. If you have seasonal homes then so be it.
Perhaps another contest can be created called "where you're at" for those who travel regular.

Last edited by WFW&P; 11-09-2011 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 11-10-2011, 06:00 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I agree with this. ^^
I interpret "home state" being where you would receive your mail regularly, your primary residence, not a place you may be be visiting at the time. If you have seasonal homes then so be it.
Perhaps another contest can be created called "where you're at" for those who travel regular.
I agree, the rule states your home state or if you live outside of the USA your country...NOT where in the world am I. Either the title/rules need to change or we stick with the rules.

If it's to be changed to where are you now, why not: Your best shot in the last 30 days???? That way, it doesn't matter where you are...just enter your best shot you've taken in the last 30 days, mine will continue to be located where I live due to my financial situation but for those who travel it will be where ever....OR a 3rd option is to have an additional contest....that would be "your best shot in the last 30 days" and keep the "home state" contest as really your home state or for those outside of the USA province/region.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I agree with this. ^^
Why would you discourage participation in contests? Should people be not able to post anywhere they might be? Home doesn't need to be the state in your mailing address.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:48 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
I agree we don't want to limit participation, but I'm not a fan of the contest morphing into a series of vacation photos. If someone is fortunate enough to have two homes, I don't think we should limit them to their "primary" residence. In the same way, if the photographer's real job or life's circumstances requires extended periods away from home, I'm fine with that qualifying as his/her current residence. I'm just not sure I consider a vacation destination as becoming my temporary "home state".

IMO, the absolute last thing we want to do is to drive away participants with too many rules, but for the purposes of this contest, I guess my take on "home state" is something like "the state in which the photographer is living for the majority of the current contest's month."

Again, just my $0.02 worth. I'm happy to play by whatever the rules are. I'd just like to understand 'em.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 11-10-2011 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: fat fingers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests