Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 07:35 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,840,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
It matters a whole lot to me - enough so that I haven't been entering month after month.
Forgive me, 'cause it's just pure curiosity, but what's your opposition to showing names? You've not mentioned why you object to the current procedure. You certainly don't owe us a reason, but it might help all of us to see it in a different light.

I don't have a serious hang-up either way, and I enjoy the contests enough that it wouldn't get rid of me whether we show names or not, but there are two trivial reasons I enjoy seeing who voted which way.

As with any forum, there are several regulars in here who seem to be more experienced photographers. I don't necessarily value their opinions more than others, but I feel like they probably review the photos with a more critical eye than my "I like that photo" approach. AFTER I vote, I enjoy seeing which photo they selected.

Secondly, and I think bibit touched on it, in the couple years I've been playing along, I can only recall one participant actively campaigning for votes. Whenever one photo jumps out to a big lead, I like to peek to see if there are suddenly names that have never appeared before during the voting. Almost without fail, it's the regulars who happened to prefer the same photo. Still, paranoia strikes deep in the heartland!

Just my $0.02 worth... Regardless, I'm happy either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:52 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,172,718 times
Forgive me, 'cause it's just pure curiosity, but what's your opposition to showing names? You've not mentioned why you object to the current procedure. You certainly don't owe us a reason, but it might help all of us to see it in a different light.

Well, the first time I ever saw a poll, here on City-Data, I clicked to see the results of that poll. I was very surprised to see that it revealed who voted for what. I felt that it was an invasion of privacy. A person's vote is a private matter, no matter what the voting is for. To me, it's sacred.
It's wrong to ask somebody who/what they voted for, in any election/poll.

So, I have seen at least several polls on City-Data where the results revealed who voted for what. Every time I sat here and shook my head in disbelief and disappointment. It's wrong. I refused to participate in that poll each time.

Not long ago I came to the Photography Contests and I went on to have the fun of voting for a winner. I looked over all of the entries, in the two contests for that month. Just like anyone else, I felt more for some photo's than others.
Then I saw that one entry was that of a dear friend of mine.
At that point I began thinking.....how can I not vote for my friend's photo? I would feel very bad.

So, it turned out that I voted for their entry in one contest - because I honestly felt that it was my favorite and the best!
But in the other contest, I voted for my favorite photo and it was not my friend's entry.
I felt badly for it.

I found myself having to DM my friend, telling them about how bad I feel about it....and having to explain why I did it....that the other picture seemed better than theirs.

I don't ever want to tell a dear friend ever again that I liked someone's anything better than theirs.

It's like going to dinner at a dear friend's house and telling them that you've had better.

Thanks for asking if I would mind explaining this to you - I don't mind at all and I appreciate that it wasn't required for me to do so!

I don't want to interfere with the contests and the fun here, so I'll just watch them and enjoy.

~rainroosty~

Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,874,748 times
Personally, I don't mind my vote showing up. I take these contests for sake of fun only, and there are plenty of occasions when I could vote for any of 2-3-4 pictures, but can only vote once. So I pick one that makes the most sense, is most challenging/creative or most resembles the theme... its all good!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,595,107 times
Quote:

Well, the first time I ever saw a poll, here on City-Data, I clicked to see the results of that poll. I was very surprised to see that it revealed who voted for what. I felt that it was an invasion of privacy. A person's vote is a private matter, no matter what the voting is for. To me, it's sacred.
It's wrong to ask somebody who/what they voted for, in any election/poll.

So, I have seen at least several polls on City-Data where the results revealed who voted for what. Every time I sat here and shook my head in disbelief and disappointment. It's wrong. I refused to participate in that poll each time.

Not long ago I came to the Photography Contests and I went on to have the fun of voting for a winner. I looked over all of the entries, in the two contests for that month. Just like anyone else, I felt more for some photo's than others.
Then I saw that one entry was that of a dear friend of mine.
At that point I began thinking.....how can I not vote for my friend's photo? I would feel very bad.

So, it turned out that I voted for their entry in one contest - because I honestly felt that it was my favorite and the best!
But in the other contest, I voted for my favorite photo and it was not my friend's entry.
I felt badly for it.

I found myself having to DM my friend, telling them about how bad I feel about it....and having to explain why I did it....that the other picture seemed better than theirs.

I don't ever want to tell a dear friend ever again that I liked someone's anything better than theirs.

It's like going to dinner at a dear friend's house and telling them that you've had better.

Thanks for asking if I would mind explaining this to you - I don't mind at all and I appreciate that it wasn't required for me to do so!

I don't want to interfere with the contests and the fun here, so I'll just watch them and enjoy.

~rainroosty~
You're being a bit hard on yourself, I would venture to guess your friend would understand if a particluar photo of theirs did not appeal to you. Just as if they had a business it would be unreasonable to count on your business all the time. Keep in mind this all just for fun.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 AM

? So I'm wondering if this is still under consideration or not?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,876,992 times
Quote:
? So I'm wondering if this is still under consideration or not?
I am going to leave it as it has been done since I took over the contest in August 2010.

Rich

Old 12-14-2011, 12:45 PM

That's my answer, after post # 72, above?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
That's my answer, after post # 72, above?
That is correct. The names of who votes for which photo will be displayed during the voting period.

Rich

Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That is correct. The names of who votes for which photo will be displayed during the voting period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Rich

Well, I see no real opposition to my suggestion that names not be shown, so WHY will the names be displayed? I do not understand this at all. Just the fact that you say so isn't a valid answer, if the members of City-Data wish differently.
As I stated, it makes a difference to me, and I'll be willing to bet that many others agree (I can and will start a poll).....so what's the trouble with it? You haven't given a reason, other than you say so and it hasn't been a problem before.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Just the fact that you say so isn't a valid answer
It is for me. I will drop the contest in a heartbeat if I have to.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests