Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:05 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,908,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Wow, your photo was gorgeous... I can see why you won the contest! And thanks for tweaking my picture - looks much better. But are we allowed to use Photoshop for the contest entries?
Normally there is nothing that prevents using software to enhance a photograph in these contests unless the person specifies that in the rules.

Some contests specify "SOOC" Straight Out Of the Camera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 10:38 AM

8,234 posts, read 16,770,903 times
Quote:
Wow, your photo was gorgeous... I can see why you won the contest! And thanks for tweaking my picture - looks much better. But are we allowed to use Photoshop for the contest entries?
Yes, actually photoshop is simply the digital darkroom of today, like the chemical darkroom was for Ansel Adams and many of the best film photographers of yesterday. Ansel's philosophy was the same regarding the chemical process. It was all part of making a great image. Most pros today shoot in RAW mode which is like a digital negative designed to be sharpened and fully adjusted (levels, color balance, curves, etc...) in Photoshop.

Here are a few additional tips for your nights out. Try working with transition light. That is the time right after sunset when there still is a bit of ambient light on the foreground. Notice that in both shots of the Bay Bridge I linked to they were taken just after sunset.

Another method used in night shots where the foreground is too dark (most of the time) is to take two exposure and blend them together in PS. One (lighter one) is taken for the foreground and the other for the sky. This is very similar to HDR which uses multiple exposures to capture a wider range of dynamic light (or lack thereof).

Lastly, one of the best techniques I have discovered is using time lapse photography with the manual blending mentioned above. So for example you take the first shot right after sunset for the foreground. DO NOT move the camera which is locked on the tripod. Then ~ 45 minutes later take the second exposure for the sky and stars. This provides more ambient light for the foreground while still giving a nice dark sky once blended together in PS.

One of the best examples of this is from a Colorado Photographer friend of mine Stan Rose: Escape to Heaven.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-11-2010 at 10:47 AM..

Old 09-12-2010, 01:03 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,091,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, actually photoshop is simply the digital darkroom of today, like the chemical darkroom was for Ansel Adams and many of the best film photographers of yesterday. Ansel's philosophy was the same regarding the chemical process. It was all part of making a great image. Most pros today shoot in RAW mode which is like a digital negative designed to be sharpened and fully adjusted (levels, color balance, curves, etc...) in Photoshop.
You know what? I've never heard this issue explained so well, to the point where I totally get it now! I've long thought of Photoshop as "cheating," but as a former darkroom user myself, that makes perfect sense... thank you for alleviating my guilt about it, and now maybe I'll actually buy & learn to use the darned program.

Quote:
One of the best examples of this is from a Colorado Photographer friend of mine Stan Rose: Escape to Heaven.
That photo is simply beautiful... Escape to Heaven is the perfect name, too. Thanks for all the tips, and I'll definitely take another excursion before entering the contest - some of your suggestions are a little over my head, but I'll see what I can figure out! I also need an entry for the "In Your Home State," for which I'll probably use the beach or a super urban scene (downtown/Haight). Doubtful I can actually win anything, but it's giving me something to do with my recently unemployed self.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
You know what? I've never heard this issue explained so well, to the point where I totally get it now! I've long thought of Photoshop as "cheating," but as a former darkroom user myself, that makes perfect sense... thank you for alleviating my guilt about it, and now maybe I'll actually buy & learn to use the darned program.

That photo is simply beautiful... Escape to Heaven is the perfect name, too. Thanks for all the tips, and I'll definitely take another excursion before entering the contest - some of your suggestions are a little over my head, but I'll see what I can figure out! I also need an entry for the "In Your Home State," for which I'll probably use the beach or a super urban scene (downtown/Haight). Doubtful I can actually win anything, but it's giving me something to do with my recently unemployed self.
Glad to be of some help. Experimenting and learning are part of what makes photography fun for me. And I'm no pro. But I like to pick up some of the techniques they use which can help both in capturing and processing the image.

Speaking of processing, if money is tight right now you could start with an older version of photoshop, or photoshop elements. And then there is Gimp which is free. Most of the main features in photoshop have been there for a long time like layers, curves, levels, etc... Of course they are always coming out with new tools. But I am still using CS and considering going to CS5 eventually.

Derek

Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 PM
bjh

60,243 posts, read 30,513,930 times
Shouldn't there be a discussion thread for September in your Home State, too?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Hey guys,

I think I'd like to try something a little for the group this month if the rest of the forum feels up for it. How about an image taken at night which contains some earth and sky? Some examples of this could be a cityscape, an old barn under the night sky, a river, lake, ocean under the stars, a camp fire, an outdoor concert or anything you find interesting while viewed at night. The only requirement would be that it contains something from earth in it and not just be a shot of the moon for example, as that is another type of photography - astrophotography.

Derek

Straight out of the camera, no editing just re-sized. Canon SX10 on auto mode:

May have some better shots, haven't gone through them all yet.

Rich

Old 09-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Cool stuff Rich, the moon should really help people now as well since it is almost full. You will be surprised how much light it will provide.

Derek

Old 09-20-2010, 03:34 PM

I was trying to get some sunsets and flashing lghts at the State Fair... Then I notced the moon...

Old 09-22-2010, 04:30 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,326,260 times
Quote:
You know what, I wondered the same thing. After looking at this image for a while I realized that the photo was actually taken from the other northeastern side of the bridge opposite Baker Beach and Fort Point. Maybe Horseshoe Bay area? And yes, it took 8 images stiched to show both the GG Bridge and Bay Bridge in one larger image. But a cool view none the less.
Yeah, I was thinking that had to be from Marin. What a great view.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that had to be from Marin. What a great view.
Even though it's a couple hour drive for me I'm tempted to go out and shoot it! Although parking conditions around the bridges can be very difficult. So you never know until you go and check it out.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests