Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:46 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,716,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Two suggestions:
  1. Move the current/ongoing contest (pictures + discussions) in the main section as stickies. Once the current contest is completed, move it to the Contest sub-forum. That way it'll attract more attention and encourage participation. I know I only just recently noticed the Contest sub-forum.
  2. Encourage people to interpret the themes as they wish. I just went through the last few theme discussions and the originator of the theme goes into a lot of detail (or is specifically asked to by the participants) to expand on the theme. Do we really need to describe "Contrast" or "Young ones"? Photography is a creative art -- the artist should be able to interpret -- that is part of being an artist. A recent contest I entered had the theme "Wheels". Entries ranged from the usual car/bike/wheels to ferris wheels to a pinwheel galaxy to a poker hand called a wheel. Very few of them actually showed a full wheel face on. The theme "Fire" included the expected camp-fires, but also chili peppers, red changing leaves, a fiery sunset, remnants of a wildfire, fire trucks, and more. The idea is to not only flex and expand your technical muscle, but also your creative ones.

Edit to add one more: Include the theme in the thread title. If it's interesting to someone, just seeing the title will encourage them to click in.
I really like these suggestions Fuzz. I noticed shortly after the contest sub-forum was created participation went down. The monthly contests were getting lost in the regular threads. So they were given their own forum. But as you have observed they have become less visible and so struggle. Having a sticky in the main forum for current contests I think could help in that way, even if they were simply a link to the actual contest threads. It just helps as a reminder to participate, then vote.

I tried to leave this month's theme open for interpretation. But it seemed like ppl assumed right off the bat that they couldn't do it. That it was only for professionals becuase of the level of difficulty. So I wanted to provide some guidance which I don't mind doing. I realize ppl are at all different levels on CD. Hopefully everyone can grow in their skills and learn some things here.

For me it's as much about the process as it is about the end results. This involves discussing techniques, etc... where applicable. But I really like what you describes about the creative nature of the contests you participate in.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-29-2010 at 08:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 08:56 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,496,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I tried to leave this month's theme open for interpretation. But it seemed like ppl assumed right off the bat that they couldn't do it. That it was only for professionals becuase of the level of difficulty. So I wanted to provide some guidance which I don't mind doing.
You had a very specific theme in both - you wanted BOTH sky and land in the shot (as opposed to just a sky or land shot at night). So I can definitely see how some explanation/examples may be warranted. But just going through some of the older theme discussions, it seems like simple themes led to lots of explanations and discussions.

Quote:
For me it's as much about the process as it is about the end results. This involves discussing techniques, etc... where applicable. But I really like what you describes about the creative nature of the contests you participate in.
Agree about the process being more fun/important than the end result. I never/rarely win the contests but the most interesting aspect for me is to try and "see" the theme in unique ways, and to see how others interpret it as well. Except for my astrophotography, I'm not really into the technical aspects of photography too much (e.g. talking about whether I should have changed down by one f-stop or whatever). To me, a technically perfect (e.g. perfectly exposed) image of a boring composition is still a boring image. An interesting composition that is over- or under-exposed can still make a great image (I submit the Holga as Exhibit A).

Old 09-30-2010, 06:40 AM

957 posts, read 758,860 times
I'm kinda new at this game, so I enjoyed the challenge put forth this month and would like to see the contests continue along this route.
Digital makes it so easy in that you can run a multitude of experimental shots, and get an instant reading.
Like Derek, I'm not here to win a contest, but more into observing the work of others and learning.
Mike

Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,876,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I really like these suggestions Fuzz. I noticed shortly after the contest sub-forum was created participation went down. The monthly contests were getting lost in the regular threads. So they were given their own forum. But as you have observed they have become less visible and so struggle. Having a sticky in the main forum for current contests I think could help in that way, even if they were simply a link to the actual contest threads. It just helps as a reminder to participate, then vote.

I tried to leave this month's theme open for interpretation. But it seemed like ppl assumed right off the bat that they couldn't do it. That it was only for professionals becuase of the level of difficulty. So I wanted to provide some guidance which I don't mind doing. I realize ppl are at all different levels on CD. Hopefully everyone can grow in their skills and learn some things here.

Derek
I think you hit on one of the problems. I just keep forgetting about the monthly contests lately, but don't know how to keep them right out front as a reminder. I really wanted to get in on this months because it is an aspect of photography I normally don't do. I tried a few and they didn't turn out like I wanted, then got side tracked and forgot all about how quickly the month was ending and didn't get a chance to try again.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:35 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,831,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Lack of participation killed the assignments as well. Very few were involved and I saw no point trying to continue. Now I could be bothered to even post pics here for CC, I get more constructive, honest input elsewhere. Too bad really there use to be so many active people here that were fun and friendly.
OMW, your photography is dearly missed on here. You were one of a small handful that first brought my attn to this forum. Here's hoping you'll keep us entertained again this winter with your birding shots.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,876,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Lack of participation killed the assignments as well. Very few were involved and I saw no point trying to continue. Now I could be bothered to even post pics here for CC, I get more constructive, honest input elsewhere. Too bad really there use to be so many active people here that were fun and friendly.
Agreed. A lot of the enjoyment has been removed from the forum for me by some of the new posters who keep shoving their brand of camera or their way of doing things as the only good equipment or the only right way of doing something. I think most of them are fairly "young" to the art of Photography and their zeal and love of the art is misplaced sometimes. I'm glad that some of the old regulars are still on this forum and I'm glad the new posters are as well, it gives a couple different viewpoints to look at. I think some of the older photographers lose sight that there is more than one way to do things, and that the "new" digital age has brought some new and exciting ways to use the "view through the lens" we all like. Along the same lines I think some of the newer photographers haven't yet learned that there IS more than one "correct" way of doing a particular shot. A heavy dose of reading can be both a help and a hindrance when it comes to this art from, and I firmly believe Photography is an art form.

I do like the contests, I did like the assignments even though I haven't posted in either for quite a while. This months contest theme was a tough one, and one that would make most of us step outside our little comfort bubble when it came time to trip the shutter. I was disappointed more didn't enter; but more disappointed in myself because I didn't have/make more of a chance to get out more this last month to try to capture something good, bad, or even mediocre to enter.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Fuzz, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will try to answer and implement if possible.

Quote:
Move the current/ongoing contest (pictures + discussions) in the main section as stickies. Once the current contest is completed, move it to the Contest sub-forum. That way it'll attract more attention and encourage participation. I know I only just recently noticed the Contest sub-forum.
We are limited in the number of stickies allowed to have, and we are at that limit right now. There are two stickies on the "Photography" Forum Page.

Sticky: ~ Assignment Discussions ~Which I really don't have anything to do with, the last post it has is 06-14-2010.

Sticky: *~* Data's Monthly Contests & Assignment *~* Index of Threads ~*~Had a lot of various information, some of which is good, which I have begun to organize.

Quote:
Encourage people to interpret the themes as they wish. I just went through the last few theme discussions and the originator of the theme goes into a lot of detail (or is specifically asked to by the participants) to expand on the theme. Do we really need to describe "Contrast" or "Young ones"? Photography is a creative art -- the artist should be able to interpret -- that is part of being an artist. A recent contest I entered had the theme "Wheels". Entries ranged from the usual car/bike/wheels to ferris wheels to a pinwheel galaxy to a poker hand called a wheel. Very few of them actually showed a full wheel face on. The theme "Fire" included the expected camp-fires, but also chili peppers, red changing leaves, a fiery sunset, remnants of a wildfire, fire trucks, and more. The idea is to not only flex and expand your technical muscle, but also your creative ones.
I think that is being done to a degree. That is the intent for the separate thread for discussion of the theme. But I have seen contests where the theme is not always as clear as is hoped.
[/quote]

Quote:
Edit to add one more: Include the theme in the thread title. If it's interesting to someone, just seeing the title will encourage them to click in.
That may work, if we get a clear defined theme. But for this this month (September 2010) I has to assume a good theme title is "Image taken at night which contains some earth and sky" It does not fit in the current thread space and it would have to be added to two threads.

One problem I have is to edit, change, delete threads etc. It get's a bit confusing...

Perhaps some more discussion and thinking.

I was thinking along the lines of trying to maintain the important topics listed in on posting, a Sticky...

Rich

Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I firmly believe Photography is an art form.
100% agree. A lot of people new to photography get way too hung up on technical details like f-stops, lenses, histograms, HDR, and post-processing, when the most important part of the image is the composition. There is often an assumption that if you get all the technical stuff right, you will create a great image. What makes a great image is the art, not the technicals.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Fuzz, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will try to answer and implement if possible.
Please take my suggestions as just some ramblings off the top of one person's head. I don't know if they will encourage more participation - there may be much better ways.

Another aspect I think may be that there are too many different "contests" running at the same time (and too many threads for each). I know that I was confused for a long time about all the different contests and which threads are for what. What if you keep only the theme contest and remove assignments and the state contest? The theme contest is essentially an assignment. And if people want to post pictures from their state, they can work it into their theme submission, or add to the Picture of the Day, or create their own thread. Just one thread for the theme contest discussion + submissions (it's easy to read the discussions if the pictures being discussed are there as well), and one thread for voting.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
A lot of the enjoyment has been removed from the forum for me by some of the new posters who keep shoving their brand of camera or their way of doing things as the only good equipment or the only right way of doing something.
A recent contest I entered was restricted only to small-sensor cameras (e.g. point-and-shoot, cellphone; no DSLRs). The idea was to test whether the photographer can make a good image regardless of equipment. The entries were quite astounding. And it also spurred us to find examples of images taken with simple cameras. Some great images we found online:

iPhone Photography
Flickr: The Cell Phone Photography Pool (http://www.flickr.com/groups/73532194@N00/pool/ - broken link)

Good photographers can get good images with any camera. I've even seen great moon and Jupiter shots taken with an iPhone (shot through a telescope). My mediocre entry for that contest was this, taken with my Blackberry cellphone camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests