Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 04:47 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

There are quite a few places that don’t allow photography because of pedophiles ....if there are children they may have restrictions....

As just a normal policy we don’t photograph anything where children other than our own grandkids are liable to be in the picture unless we can isolate our kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 05:01 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There are quite a few places that don’t allow photography because of pedophiles ....if there are children they may have restrictions....

As just a normal policy we don’t photograph anything where children other than our own grandkids are liable to be in the picture unless we can isolate our kids
Once again... “policies” ( restrictions) are not law. Children, like anyone else have no expectation of privacy if they’re out in public. Might be creepy as all hell, but it’s not against the law. You might get your butt kicked, but it’s not illegal. Lol

Old 12-07-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Once again... “policies” ( restrictions) are not law. Children, like anyone else have no expectation of privacy if they’re out in public. Might be creepy as all hell, but it’s not against the law. You might get your butt kicked, but it’s not illegal. Lol
It doesn’t have to be law ...if the owner or employee says no photography they have a right to stop you in their business..there is nothing to argue. A business is not considered a public area ...it is under the control of the owners , mgmt and employees .

It is not like a public park.

According to the aclu

When you are on private property or a private business , the property owner may set rules about the taking of photographs. If you disobey the property owner's rules, they can order you off their property (and have you arrested for trespassing if you do not comply).

Public buildings inside fall under the same rules .....outside the buildings Photography is allowed without permission but you can be stopped inside

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-07-2020 at 05:56 PM..

Old 12-07-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It doesn’t have to be law ...if the owner or employee says no photography they have a right to stop you in their business..there is nothing to argue. A business is not considered a public area ...it is under the control of the owners , mgmt and employees .

It is not like a public park.

According to the aclu

When you are on private property or a private business , the property owner may set rules about the taking of photographs. If you disobey the property owner's rules, they can order you off their property (and have you arrested for trespassing if you do not comply).

Public buildings inside fall under the same rules .....outside the buildings Photography is allowed without permission but you can be stopped inside
Why do you keep saying private property? I said that you can film anything that you an see from an area that the public is allowed to be. Of course you can’t walk into someone’s private business if they don’t want you too, but if it’s open to the general public it’s policy NOT law. They can’t arrest me for doing it. They can make me leave, but they can’t confiscate my equipment or make me delete the footage. They can stop you from filming in a public building, but it’s NOT against the law to do it.

When in public spaces where you are lawfully present you have the right to photograph anything that is in plain view. That includes pictures of federal buildings, transportation facilities, and police. Such photography is a form of public oversight over the government and is important in a free society.

When you are on private property, the property owner may set rules about the taking of photographs. If you disobey the property owner's rules, they can order you off their property (and have you arrested for trespassing if you do not comply).

ACLU...

Old 12-07-2020, 07:48 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
True. I did hand my camera to someone not with me. I just sanitized both the camera and my phone. I don't have a bulky lens (saving for one), it's just the standard 18-55 mm one. This ice skating rink is in Philadelphia, so it could be something related to the new restrictions too. I'm in King of Prussia and we don't quite have the same restrictions here.
You gave your DSLR to someone not with your party to take a photo? Yeah I could this being a HUGE problem since there's a pandemic going on and we're supposed to stay 6 feet apart. Pennsylvania has a ton of restrictions. You been under a rock for the last 9 months?

Old 12-07-2020, 10:39 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
> Children, like anyone else have no expectation of privacy if they’re out in public. Might be creepy as all hell, but it’s not against the law.

nah nah nah. There are posted signs at playground at the beach [ public property ] in Santa Monica, CA, that solo males WITHOUT CHILDREN and photography is not allowed in the playground area:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/lifest...zaheJYTZFYHQM/

It might merely be an ORDINANCE but it is law not policy.

> but they can’t confiscate my equipment or make me delete the footage.

You can say that, but it happens more often than people want to admit. Your video that you posted, the sargent came out and cited the UMC code that the youtuber was in violation of, with clear penalties of arrest if he did not vacate the premises. Personally, when the youtuber failed to identify himself, that's when it would become a hot-button issue. "Failure to Identify Yourself to law enforcement" has gone all the way to the Supreme Court (Edward Lawson). You might be a "harmless photographer citing your 1st Amendment Rights" but they still gonna take your camera and stomp it on the ground, if you try to take pictures on a military base, or the transition area.

Try that at the US-Mexican border: the US wont let you cross, and the Federales will take you away to a jail in Tijuana with no bail and no phone call, if you start filming the border entrance. "Public Property" my fat hiney. Its Federal Property.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
> Children, like anyone else have no expectation of privacy if they’re out in public. Might be creepy as all hell, but it’s not against the law.

nah nah nah. There are posted signs at playground at the beach [ public property ] in Santa Monica, CA, that solo males WITHOUT CHILDREN and photography is not allowed in the playground area:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/lifest...zaheJYTZFYHQM/

It might merely be an ORDINANCE but it is law not policy.

> but they can’t confiscate my equipment or make me delete the footage.

You can say that, but it happens more often than people want to admit. Your video that you posted, the sargent came out and cited the UMC code that the youtuber was in violation of, with clear penalties of arrest if he did not vacate the premises. Personally, when the youtuber failed to identify himself, that's when it would become a hot-button issue. "Failure to Identify Yourself to law enforcement" has gone all the way to the Supreme Court (Edward Lawson). You might be a "harmless photographer citing your 1st Amendment Rights" but they still gonna take your camera and stomp it on the ground, if you try to take pictures on a military base, or the transition area.

Try that at the US-Mexican border: the US wont let you cross, and the Federales will take you away to a jail in Tijuana with no bail and no phone call, if you start filming the border entrance. "Public Property" my fat hiney. Its Federal Property.

From the Department of Homeland Security:

FOUO) Photography for news, advertising or commercial purposes is governed by 41 CFR 102-74.420. In October, 2010, FPS disseminated an FPS Information Bulletin (HQ-IB-012-2010) to the field addressing the photographing of the exterior of federal facilities. The purpose of the bulletin was to remind FPS personnel and PSOs that the public has the right to photograph the exterior of federal facilities from public forums. Since the publication of the bulletin, FPS has experienced an increase in the public’s interest in photographing and videotaping both exterior and interior of federal facilities protected by FPS, to include individual’s expressing their First Amendment-protected rights by intentionally photographing and videotaping the exterior and interior of a federal facility and law enforcement in the course of their duties to test FPS law enforcement and PSO response. Also, new case law impacts the interpretation and implementation of FPS enforced regulations.

This addresses exactly what I have been saying.... You can video or photograph anything that you can see from a public area... Including taping at International border crossing. Regardless of your fat hiney. Even the link that you posted refers to a person’s 1st amendment right to photograph what they can see in public... even kids.

Also..the police cannot demand you show an ID unless they have articulable suspicion that you have committed or are about to commit a crime. They can’t detain you just because you look suspicious. Yes it does happen... when people don’t know the law or their rights under the constitution.

Last edited by Sydney123; 12-07-2020 at 11:46 PM..

Old 12-08-2020, 03:22 AM

Quote:
From the Department of Homeland Security:

FOUO) Photography for news, advertising or commercial purposes is governed by 41 CFR 102-74.420. In October, 2010, FPS disseminated an FPS Information Bulletin (HQ-IB-012-2010) to the field addressing the photographing of the exterior of federal facilities. The purpose of the bulletin was to remind FPS personnel and PSOs that the public has the right to photograph the exterior of federal facilities from public forums. Since the publication of the bulletin, FPS has experienced an increase in the public’s interest in photographing and videotaping both exterior and interior of federal facilities protected by FPS, to include individual’s expressing their First Amendment-protected rights by intentionally photographing and videotaping the exterior and interior of a federal facility and law enforcement in the course of their duties to test FPS law enforcement and PSO response. Also, new case law impacts the interpretation and implementation of FPS enforced regulations.

This addresses exactly what I have been saying.... You can video or photograph anything that you can see from a public area... Including taping at International border crossing. Regardless of your fat hiney. Even the link that you posted refers to a person’s 1st amendment right to photograph what they can see in public... even kids.

Also..the police cannot demand you show an ID unless they have articulable suspicion that you have committed or are about to commit a crime. They can’t detain you just because you look suspicious. Yes it does happen... when people don’t know the law or their rights under the constitution.
totally different discussion than being told inside a business they don't want you taking pictures , which they can do

Old 12-08-2020, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Why do you keep saying private property? I said that you can film anything that you an see from an area that the public is allowed to be. Of course you can’t walk into someone’s private business if they don’t want you too, but if it’s open to the general public it’s policy NOT law. They can’t arrest me for doing it. They can make me leave, but they can’t confiscate my equipment or make me delete the footage. They can stop you from filming in a public building, but it’s NOT against the law to do it.

When in public spaces where you are lawfully present you have the right to photograph anything that is in plain view. That includes pictures of federal buildings, transportation facilities, and police. Such photography is a form of public oversight over the government and is important in a free society.

When you are on private property, the property owner may set rules about the taking of photographs. If you disobey the property owner's rules, they can order you off their property (and have you arrested for trespassing if you do not comply).

ACLU...
no one is disputing what you can do outside by law .

my point is inside a building you are subject to the policy of the business or those in control of the building public or privately controlled . .

if the skating rink is indoors than they can tell you no photography no matter who runs it . if the skating rink is outdoors than anything you can shoot from outside the rink and get a visual on for the most part is likely fair game but once inside the rink you fall under their policy

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-08-2020 at 04:31 AM..

Old 12-08-2020, 12:04 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:

ACLU...

The highlight above is the problem. For example, Wal-Mart is private property, and members of the public are generally allowed to be on Wal-Mart property. However, you have no right to photograph or video record on the property if they tell you that you can't.

Now, you address those issues later, but in the highlighted portion, you've conflated them, and the statement, as written, is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography