Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 05:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be so sure it is a place's official policy just because some security guard said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 06:09 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,619,965 times
It was an outdoor rink and public. I've taken tons of photos with my DSLR over the years and never an issue. I've even had security guards see me take photos years before and nothing was said. Photographers also came to the rink, they were hired by others, and it was never an issue in the past either.

My guess is it was two security guards who were having an issue with it for some reason. There's nothing on their website about photography.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:23 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we get challenged many times at most botanical gardens because of our gear .
Ever been to San Diego Botanical Gardens?

Old 12-08-2020, 07:24 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,565 times
Quote:
ignorance ...

cell phones can do a lot of what a dslr can do.
ignorance is also believing that a cell phone camera can replace a dslr (or other camera).

Old 12-08-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Maybe it's somehow related to social distancing? DSLRs are bulkier than cell phones, and if slung across your shoulder there's a chance that it can bump into people (esp'ly if you're using a long lens). Yeah, kind of far-fetched, but hey, it's 2020, so every oddball rule and explanation is in play
The recommended social distance is 6 feet. I don't want to speak for the OP, but I doubt she was carrying 6 feet of glass. But I did have a good laugh.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
If you don't ask the guard you never will know. Find out if it is a simple process to "register" or pay a fee.
I find this to be great advice. At least you will know.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
But private facilities can charge you for taking commercial photography on their grounds ....as well as these are not public places . They are private property....you are bound by their terms ...same as many museums have no photography rules
There's a to it. In most states, you are allowed to take photographs of any location open to the public even if it is private property unless you are explicitly told otherwise or there is a properly posted sign.

In terms of being bound to terms, you have to either be informed of those terms (they cannot be implied) or have entered into a contract (like the terms of purchasing and using a ticket for entry).

It seems that the OP was not informed of the no camera rule until the security guard told her.

That being said, if the private property is visible from public property (as I would expect of an outdoor skating rink), you can take photos of it all you want as long as you remain on public property.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:56 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Yesterday I went to an outdoor ice skating rink that I've been going to for four years. I always bring my Nikon D3100 and never had an issue taking photos. From time to time, I used to sell other people with DSLR cameras take photos too.

I was there yesterday and I decided to take some photos. I handed my camera to a guy to get a photo of me with a beach chair that said "Visit City with Love." A security guard said something to him, but I didn't hear it. I then took photos of the scenery, no people. I wanted to take photos of how everything is set up this year for my COVID scrapbook. After I finished, the security guard said, "you're not allowed to take photos with that camera. Cell phone cameras only."

Why? What is their reasoning with that?

That's why I carry a press pass!

OP's issue was private property. They make the rules

But here is an old down and dirty guide

https://www.wikihow.com/Category:Pho...d-Legal-Issues

This is old. There are changes because of war on terror

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/legal-...20More%20items

Last edited by mike1003; 12-08-2020 at 08:09 PM..

Old 12-09-2020, 02:58 AM

106,621 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
There's a to it. In most states, you are allowed to take photographs of any location open to the public even if it is private property unless you are explicitly told otherwise or there is a properly posted sign.

In terms of being bound to terms, you have to either be informed of those terms (they cannot be implied) or have entered into a contract (like the terms of purchasing and using a ticket for entry).

It seems that the OP was not informed of the no camera rule until the security guard told her.

That being said, if the private property is visible from public property (as I would expect of an outdoor skating rink), you can take photos of it all you want as long as you remain on public property.
all is correct ....that is how it works .

Old 12-09-2020, 02:59 AM

106,621 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Ever been to San Diego Botanical Gardens?
never
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography