Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Oh great, this is just what someone like me, an out a stater who's thinking about moving to Portland wants to see and hear. Great, just great.....
I have lived in almost every western state, and I can tell you that if Portland is boring to someone...that person doesnt have a soul...Portland is awesome, too much rain..But a great city, always something going on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 10:43 PM

86 posts, read 109,754 times
you guys are funny...I feel bad now. Ok it's not that bad. I still think I'm on my way out.
Thanks for the replies!

Old 06-09-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derniss View Post
you guys are funny...I feel bad now. Ok it's not that bad. I still think I'm on my way out.
Thanks for the replies!
And bring that bicycle..best riding anywhere

Old 06-09-2011, 11:49 PM

132 posts, read 341,562 times
G'bye derniss. We hardly knew ye.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:46 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Oh great, this is just what someone like me, an out a stater who's thinking about moving to Portland wants to see and hear. Great, just great.....
You should welcome all opinions both negative and positive and determine whether or not these opinions pertain to your situation.

Look, no place is all things to all people. I can understand where the OP is coming from. Maybe he made the mistake of believing hype before finding out for himself whether or not Portland would suit him.

If you only listen to one side whether positive or negative without coming to see for yourself, you will not get a clear picture as to whether or not a place is for you.

The OP has tried Portland. It wasn't for him. So he is probably going to be moving on. It happens. I hope his next choice suits him better.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:26 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The OP has tried Portland. It wasn't for him. So he is probably going to be moving on. It happens. I hope his next choice suits him better.
I would think the "Portland is closed, Portland is full, Portland doesn't have enough jobs/room/etc. for us so stay away" people would jump all over posts like this...after all they free up an entrance visa number!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
I would think the "Portland is closed, Portland is full, Portland doesn't have enough jobs/room/etc. for us so stay away" people would jump all over posts like this...after all they free up an entrance visa number!
its not closed to anyone, just you.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:40 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies!
Out of curiosity - where did you get whatever ideas you had about Portland? What research did you do? And are you still using those same sources for wherever you are planning to move?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:05 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,938 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies!
Since you like Vancouver and sunshine, I'm thinking that Denver may be to your liking.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 AM

80 posts, read 219,072 times
I've lived here over a year and would agree that Portland is overhyped. I often feel like the best thing about the city is its reputation. Is it a God awful place? Definitely not. I can think of many worse places to live. I would NEVER EVER describe Portland as cosmopolitan, though. I have several friends who live in Seattle and I feel like that city is just so much more alive. I hate to jump on the "Portland is a depressing city" wagon, but to me it kinda is. The thing about Portlanders is, the love every single thing about their city and are not receptive to any criticism about their town whether it be constructive or otherwise. And if you don't like everything about their city too, they would absolutely LOVE for you to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland