Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:07 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,803,417 times

Advertisements

Well, im still gonna come visit for a few days next month and get a refresher for Portland for myself. I've thinking about moving to portland since I graduated HS in 99 but alot of things have changed since I was their in 04. I gotta attempt to see if Portland is worth the 10+ year wait for moving or i've been diliousional or misinformed the whole time.

I've been to Seattle recently and its just too big for my tastes. My sister hated the traffic, the constant crime and murder problems and the cost of living so she and her hubby moved away and back to Yakima and they are much happier all around.

Either way, I need to get the hell outa Montana within the next year, I have to find myself and start a new chapter of my life in my early 30's with a fresh, clean slate, away from all my history of my birth town. Finding some a nice, non Montanan woman with a good head on her shoulders and not wanting just to sit and breed would be nice also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,629,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanlover85 View Post
The thing about Portlanders is, the love every single thing about their city and are not receptive to any criticism about their town whether it be constructive or otherwise. And if you don't like everything about their city too, they would absolutely LOVE for you to leave.
And Los Angelenos love every single thing about their city...
And Chicagoans love every single thing about their city...
And New Yorkers love every single thing about their city...
And Houstonians love every single thing about their city...

Point is, if you don't like where you live, you move. If you like where you live you embrace it. What's wrong with liking Portland? You make it sound as if there's something wrong with you if you like where you live.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:23 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
And Los Angelenos love every single thing about their city...
And Chicagoans love every single thing about their city...
And New Yorkers love every single thing about their city...
And Houstonians love every single thing about their city...

Point is, if you don't like where you live, you move. If you like where you live you embrace it. What's wrong with liking Portland? You make it sound as if there's something wrong with you if you like where you live.
I've never heard of anyone loving every single thing about their city.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:55 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,361,529 times
Quote:
I've lived here over a year and would agree that Portland is overhyped. I often feel like the best thing about the city is its reputation. Is it a God awful place? Definitely not. I can think of many worse places to live. I would NEVER EVER describe Portland as cosmopolitan, though. I have several friends who live in Seattle and I feel like that city is just so much more alive. I hate to jump on the "Portland is a depressing city" wagon, but to me it kinda is. The thing about Portlanders is, the love every single thing about their city and are not receptive to any criticism about their town whether it be constructive or otherwise. And if you don't like everything about their city too, they would absolutely LOVE for you to leave.
So not true. We old timers are well aware of our city's shortcomings and flaws, but we love it anyway. Just like a good marriage. The OP seems to have come here expecting to find paradise - a really bad idea. What he found were lousy traffic patterns and intersections - (Sacre bleu! Unheard of!), not enough retail chains to suit him -(for that we should apologize?), a lack of appreciation for "the Coove" (I honestly don't even know how to address that) and not enough cosmopolitan pleasures. He is so clearly untraveled and naive, I can't imagine him even knowing what to do with sophisticated, cosmopolitan city. He seemed to go out of his way looking for things to criticize. And if you are looking for "coolness - what the heck are you doing out on Hwy 217, I-205 and in Vancouver? And he loved that there were so many Starbucks? WTF is that? How many do you need on any given day?
I don't care what anyone thinks of Portland. If you like it, fine. If you don't, either accept it, be part of the change or move on. Just stop with all the whining.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,475,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
I would think the "Portland is closed, Portland is full, Portland doesn't have enough jobs/room/etc. for us so stay away" people would jump all over posts like this...after all they free up an entrance visa number!
No one has ever said "stay away." The mantra is "know what you are getting into" and "come and see for yourself."

Too many people make the decision to move here without first checking it out in person to see if it suits them. They go by hype and heresay. I have seen many successful transplants including myself but also many failures. To move anywhere blindly is taking a huge risk.

There is as much postive and negative in Portland as any other place. It isn't for everyone but no place is.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:53 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,155,272 times
Quote:
The thing about Portlanders is, the love every single thing about their city and are not receptive to any criticism about their town whether it be constructive or otherwise. And if you don't like everything about their city too, they would absolutely LOVE for you to leave.
So, according to you, Portlanders love everything about the city but don't feel like the things you want changed about it should be changed? If they love everything about it, why would they want it changed? And it should be changed upon your one-year's experience? Gosh, those silly Portlanders.

Maybe Seattleites would be more eager to change upon the constructive criticisms you have for them, even though it's something they love the way it is.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,585,648 times
Each of us has dreams, if where you are in any dimension doesn't help you achieve them continue on your search.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,564,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
He is so clearly untraveled and naive, I can't imagine him even knowing what to do with sophisticated, cosmopolitan city.
I'm curious why you assumed the poster to be a he, I always got a female impression.

It's interesting you say "untraveled". I (in my shorter experience in the city so far) get the vibe that a large percentage of Portland is a bit "untraveled". I consistently meet people who have rarely (if ever) left the state (which seems odd in a city that is supposedly so transplant based). And howmany threads do we get on here from kids in their early 20's who have never lived anywhere else but their midwestern town and KNOW they have to move to Portland (without really knowing much about anywhere else). Perhaps this is a contributing factor to the insularity of the city?

I'm not attacking you or anyone, just pointing out my observation, if you want to discuss.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:17 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,803,417 times
Damn, there are some seriously bitter people in Portland, i'll be keeping away from them so I can get a better idea of the "positive" sides of the city for someone who's thinking of moving there

Old 06-11-2011, 12:26 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,312,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Damn, there are some seriously bitter people in Portland, i'll be keeping away from them so I can get a better idea of the "positive" sides of the city for someone who's thinking of moving there

Funny, I picked up on just the opposite. Although I will admit, my own feelings matches Urbanlover the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland