Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 04:33 PM

628 posts, read 209,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
Im comfortable on eastern standard time and I dont have enough benefits and perks out here to like it. The people are that bad. I dont know what it is, but I cant stand the vibe u give off dude.
He's right.

Your assessment of this area leaves zero room for self reflection and awareness in favor of blanket statements that are largely untrue to begin with.

Your difficulty making friends isn't because Portland sucks.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:26 AM

330 posts, read 428,800 times
self awareness, indeed.

just like if everywhere stinks, check the bottom of your shoe.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:08 AM

346 posts, read 308,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantstofry View Post
You've posted many times about how much you hate it here and that you can't make friends here. You really can either make a stronger effort, or move away. That's really all there is to it. Texasdiver isn't giving you any sort of vibe - but he/she is correct that geography is a fairly lazy excuse to not make friends.

Having moved several times around the country, I can say Portland in my experience was no more difficult to make friends in vs. other places. Hell, it was probably easier if you have an open mind. The whole "weird" thing and the culture wasn't something I was used to when I came here, but I quickly found it's just people who enjoy something a little different. I made some like-minded friends, and I also have some not-so-quite-like minded friends. Sure, it might be tough because of the heavy transplant situation here, but it's far from impossible.

The common denominator was that I put myself out there. I spent the first few months of living here friendless because I didn't bother to interact with people. Then I made a couple friends - one moved back to CA, the other left to Utah. So I went out again and made a few more friends. I'm oversimplifying - it's not like snapping your fingers and boom, new friend, but it really just requires you to go and be social and you'll gravitate towards people you enjoy talking to, and vice versa.

The truth is this, besides the few pockets of "radical left" that u might find, its all wannabe lumberjack breeder conservatives out where I am, the biggest threat known to man. An all white upper middle class stale place to live. So not what I want, I want more out of life. and I am not stimulated enough out here so I gave up and I got lazy, and I drank and smoke cigars a bit more. OK?

I am a displaced Gen X single ok.. I like punk, indie, alt/country and Malt Liquor. I dont find a lot like me.

I lived other places like SW FL too so I know lame when I see it. Portland in fact became in the outskirts for me like the Sarasota exurbs once seemed like but Id pick it there in a heartbeat now in 2021. I like it warm, I hate all this cold humid crap that Portland is prone to getting, hell even give me snow instead if its easier to get places and not be behind a ton of idiots on the road.

But no each time I see someone doing a video or live stream in FL, I get insane jealous like wtf am I doing in the NW I ask myself. What made me wanna come here?? superficial things like a "beer scene" that SW FL once didnt have but then GOT by 2015 and its quite big now too. and then what appeared to be L.A's scene and indie movie buffs coming here. Seemed like I met a lot of people in 2008 like me, now thats allll gone.

I am an east coast snob to a point, and I admit it. I am not a segregationist based on class though even race although I used to be. I believe all deserve same treatment which a lot of this place doesnt practice.

I like Old money over all this new money and people who try to prove themselves with it but end up broke. I am cheap. I am a low budget blueblood so even if it seems like I got less and drive a 2001 small cab, in my heart I am richer because I come from royalty. I am descended from Ancient Etruscans as well, back in 300 BC.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:47 AM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
The truth is this, besides the few pockets of "radical left" that u might find, its all wannabe lumberjack breeder conservatives out where I am, the biggest threat known to man. An all white upper middle class stale place to live. So not what I want, I want more out of life. and I am not stimulated enough out here so I gave up and I got lazy, and I drank and smoke cigars a bit more. OK?
Is this for real? What?

Old 02-05-2021, 07:13 PM

346 posts, read 308,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Is this for real? What?

it is, I dont joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland