Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,416 times

Advertisements

It's probably your British accent - nothing is cooler than a British accent! (except maybe a French one)

Old 09-10-2013, 11:38 PM

577 posts, read 669,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
It's probably your British accent - nothing is cooler than a British accent! (except maybe a French one)
Haha! It definitely helps as an ice breaker.. Coincidentally, one of the first friends I made here is a French girl. We admired each others accents equally

Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
(possibly my British accent helps?.
Of course that's the reason. It proves you're not from the horrible state south of OR.

Honestly though, that is great. Most people I have met have been really friendly, talkative, given me great advice on where to go, what to do, things not to miss, etc. No "dates", but friendly enough. I think one person warned me not to say I'm from SoCal, he was from OR and said, "I don't know why, but people born here seem to dislike Californian's. I think I'm the odd man out and don't care where you're from." But anyways. No friends. But then again, I think I can count on one hand how many times I've really talked to anyone since I've moved. That's just me being a hermit.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:49 PM

Psichick, did you say you are in LO? If you are, you have to go to Blast Burger because they carry the best cream pies from Random Order in Alberta. They have the best chocolate cream pie in the whole world. (of course, ignore if you are dairy-free!)

Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 AM

577 posts, read 669,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Of course that's the reason. It proves you're not from the horrible state south of OR.

Honestly though, that is great. Most people I have met have been really friendly, talkative, given me great advice on where to go, what to do, things not to miss, etc. No "dates", but friendly enough. I think one person warned me not to say I'm from SoCal, he was from OR and said, "I don't know why, but people born here seem to dislike Californian's. I think I'm the odd man out and don't care where you're from." But anyways. No friends. But then again, I think I can count on one hand how many times I've really talked to anyone since I've moved. That's just me being a hermit.
If you're on facebook, it's definitely worth getting in with local bands, DJs, artists, restaurant owners, anyone who posts invites to events. There's so much stuff going on that from what I've seen they tend not to draw big crowds and are happy to see anyone turn up, and it can be quite easy to make friends that way. It's like a snowball effect, once you get a friend or two, you get to know their friends, and so on, and before you know it you have, like 1000 friends! Or something like that...

Old 09-12-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
Psichick, did you say you are in LO? If you are, you have to go to Blast Burger because they carry the best cream pies from Random Order in Alberta. They have the best chocolate cream pie in the whole world. (of course, ignore if you are dairy-free!)
I am so there. First, I love burgers. Second, I love chocolate cream pie. So, I am going to have to go. I hate eating alone but for a burger and "supposedly" best chocolate cream pie in the world, I may have to go for it. Maybe when it's not so busy. hehehe.

Thanks for the referral. Hmm...someone suggested a french bakery too, may have to go check that out while I'm in the area.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
If you're on facebook, it's definitely worth getting in with local bands, DJs, artists, restaurant owners, anyone who posts invites to events. There's so much stuff going on that from what I've seen they tend not to draw big crowds and are happy to see anyone turn up, and it can be quite easy to make friends that way. It's like a snowball effect, once you get a friend or two, you get to know their friends, and so on, and before you know it you have, like 1000 friends! Or something like that...
Maybe there's something wrong with me. But honestly things like "events" turns me off. They freak me out. I know it's the social anxiety/shyness in me, but yeah, so not my scene. I know it's going to take me a long time to make friends. On the upside, I'm going to get back into my dog sports, which means, I'll at least meet people, even if we don't become friends. And I'm looking into the photography clubs. I'm slowly trying to come out of my shell. Slowly.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 AM

St. Honore bakery isn't half-bad either but yeah, if you like chocolate cream pie you have to go to Blast Burger (I haven't had the burgers, though)

Old 09-12-2013, 05:29 PM

84 posts, read 111,032 times
I was a bit concerned about making friends here. Neither my husband or I are particularly outgoing people. We tried a few Meetups when we first got here. We met some nice people, but didn't really make any connections with anyone. We found for us that participation in an activity group is much more rewarding. We attend our knitting group regularly, and we have invited people from the group to our home and to join us for other activities (meals, hikes, etc). They have also invited us to their homes, and to potlucks and parties. As introverts it can be difficult sometimes to push ourselves to get out there, but I think it is well worth it. Making friends helps make a place "home" rather than just somewhere you are living. I am quite pleased that we are developing friendships with some wonderful people - both transplants and native Portlanders.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 965 times
I am 60 and single and moved to Portland about 6 years ago. I have a couple of good friends but find it difficult to make new friends. I can blame part of that on me but I feel I need people with me to try out new places. I don't mind going to places by myself (I have been doing that for a while now) but would much rather have fun and positive people with me. Any suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland