Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:24 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,648,372 times

Advertisements

When chosing a name for our daughter my husband and I but the word doctor in front of the name we were considering...I don't know about you but if I did that for most of these names on the OP's list...I wouldn't be making an appointment to have any medical problem addressed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:10 PM

116 posts, read 232,681 times
Well I ddn't think these names were goofy or wacko, (some maybe). But I hate old fashioned names. Also I don't care if a name is trending. But in the end I wouldn't name my child something that would make life hard for them. The names you guys have said are just not my taste I guess. But I would say my favorite are Kieran (for a girl though), Savannah, Adelaide, Christiana, and Skylar. (These are kinda old-fashion, but oh well) Just because the name went out years ago means nothing too me.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just as a general rule, 3 syllables is one to many.
Are you referring to Christiana? I dont think it sounds long when you way it. People name their children Apollonia and many other name with more than 3 syllables

Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 PM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Italy* - not a name, a country.
Amethyst* - I love the gemstone, but not big on it as a name. Sounds like a pseudonym.
Emerald* - as above
Lavender- no
Brisayda- she will have to spell it for everyone for the rest of her life.
Skye*- Yes
Skylar* - bit science-fictiony, but not bad.
Jade * - Yes
Jasper - Yes
Hazel - Yes. Lovely old-fashioned name
Savannah* - not a fan, but not bad
Ivy- yes
Zendaya- spelling issues.
Krishna- not unless you are a Hare Krishna, and then, giving your kid a god's name is setting him up for failure...
Adelaide- not into geography names
Liberty- not a big fan, but ok.
Lyric- no
Christiana*- yes
Kieran- yes, but I would spell it Ciaran
Three comments on your list:

Jasper is a gemstone (or rather a mineral used as one), yet you don't have the same problem as you do with Emerald or Amethyst. Same issue with Jade.

Adelaide was a female's name long before it was the name of a city, but you knew that, didn't ya.

Spelling Kieran as Ciaran would bring on the same spelling issues as Zendaya.

IMO, most of these names are pretty bad, though I do like Ivy and Savannah the best.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:20 PM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebpseven View Post
I think the names that will return in great numbers include Dianna, Gloria, Grace, Shiah, Elizabeth, Gianna, and Josephine.
Shiah return? When was it ever here in the first place?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:22 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,449 times
I could handle Adelaide and possibly Ivy. The rest aren't my style. I like classic names that won't be dated/overused when they are applying for jobs, etc. I also like the idea of putting Dr. in front of it to see if it sounds professional.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,406,578 times
Italy
Amethyst
Emerald
Lavender
Brisayda
Skye
Skylar
Jade
Jasper ... Yes
Hazel
Savannah
Ivy
Zendaya
Krishna
Adelaide
Liberty
Lyric
Christiana
Kieran

Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Okay guys what about these names for boys:

Liam
Landon
Emerson
Jaden
Trenton or Trent
Ethan
Evan
Riley

Old 01-16-2012, 06:45 PM

I also like Ryan

Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,420 times
Those are better. Hate Jaden. Just overdone.

Liam - prefer if it's short for William
Landon - ok
Emerson -
Jaden - overused
Trenton or Trent - ok
Ethan -
Evan -
Riley - overused and sexually ambiguous

My preference is for names to mean something - a special person, a special place or thing. I can handle "different" names (i.e. last names as first names) if there is meaning behind it. I know some immigrant families who named their daughters "America". I think it's beautiful. Other names I don't particularly care for like "Virginia", but I know a woman who was born there so her parents named her that. It's nice.

I guess I just don't like meaningless names (i.e. Orangejello).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy