Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 07:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamlet96 View Post
Did your doctor tell you your AMH, FSH, and AFC? Those should have been measured on Day 3 of your cycle and provide a general indication of fertility.
Not yet. They drew blood already, but the doc wants to do all the screening tests for me and DH and get a full picture before she makes treatment recommendations.

She walked me through it...it's a three-pronged approach:
  • My reproductive tract
  • My hormones
  • His semen analysis

We've only got his semen analysis to complete, and he's going in this week for that. After they get those results back, we'll make another appointment to go over our options (whatever they may be).

So far we know one of those three categories is OK (my reproductive tract). I don't know what my hormones will look like; they only did a blood test, not a saliva test. They may recommend further testing. I've had my hormones checked before (2 years ago) and they showed that I was estrogen dominant and not ovulating. However, at the time I had quit taking birth control but my periods never resumed. I took Provera to re-start my cycle and I've been regular ever since.

I'm actually scared sh!tless by this whole process, mostly because I fear bad news. I mean, crap...what if he's sterile???? What if I'm sterile????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 12:28 PM

25 posts, read 54,177 times
I know how you feel - if i don't get pregnant naturally in the next few months, i'm dreading going back to the RE and seeing how my numbers have fallen and how she'll probably only have bad news. To that end, I've started trying to picture my life without kids, and make it full and still meaningful. I accept at this age that biological children may just not be in the cards for me. Good luck with your next appointment, hopefully it's good news.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:37 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times
It's not the right choice for everyone but you could always look into using donor gametes for either side of the equation (male or female)

Old 06-14-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamlet96 View Post
I know how you feel - if i don't get pregnant naturally in the next few months, i'm dreading going back to the RE and seeing how my numbers have fallen and how she'll probably only have bad news. To that end, I've started trying to picture my life without kids, and make it full and still meaningful. I accept at this age that biological children may just not be in the cards for me. Good luck with your next appointment, hopefully it's good news.
I'd already resigned myself to a childless life when we met. I guess I could go back to that mindset...but it would suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's not the right choice for everyone but you could always look into using donor gametes for either side of the equation (male or female)
We talked about that; I'm open to the idea, he's not. So we won't be doing that.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:05 PM

25 posts, read 54,177 times
I've thought about donor eggs too - i even have a younger cousin who is likely willing and able to donate. but at the end of the day i'm not sure I want to go through all of that. I'm willing to do a round or maybe 2 of IVF, but i'm not going to bankrupt myself to try and have kids. The worst part is that I always wanted two, so I feel like even if I am lucky enough to get pregnant with one, I'll always feel bad that I wasn't able to give him/her a sibling. I spend a lot of time ruminating over what went wrong with me but I've concluded that things just didn't work out until they did (now). Sigh.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:17 AM

8 posts, read 9,492 times
My grandmother was 42 when she had her last child. My mother-in-law was 45 when her last was born.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:21 AM

We're in the "wait and see" period to find out if this month's efforts were successful. Wish us luck!

Old 07-23-2017, 02:52 AM

83 posts, read 68,263 times
A few friends of mine got pregnant at the age of 40 and older. Two friends conceived naturally, one lady via IVF PGS NGS. Keep my fingers crossed. Good luck !

Old 07-24-2017, 07:28 AM

We got the news a while ago that pregnancy using my own eggs is impossible, as in a 1% chance. Apparently I am far less fertile than most women in their early 40s...abnormally so.

Thanks for the encouragement nonetheless.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:39 AM

388 posts, read 307,898 times
I'm sorry to hear that. Must be very difficult to process. Hugs to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy