Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 05:56 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That's.. Certainly not good. The initial reports that came out were of him being calm at the scene.. I do actually hold it against him that apparently he didn't try to assist the other driver, it was bystanders that did.

I also hold against him that the other driver apparently suffered. Badly. That's a factor that I certainly would hope is taken into account when he is sentenced.

So.. If the facts are presented and the facts don't warrant the book being thrown at him.. you'd be happy with that?
As you'll probably agree, I won't have any happiness in this matter. One life destroyed and another ruined.

But if the facts are presented and the book was not thrown at him, I'd have to accept the verdict and move on.

None of us were there at the scene and none of us will probably be in the courtroom, so all we can do it hope the best case is presented and the right judgement is made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 06:45 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Sickening beyond words.

His entitled behavior before and afterwards. The poor victim of his sociopath burned to death.

I'm sure some feel forced to make a 'neutral' statement regarding this incident for fear of being labeled 'racist.'

But thankfully there are no such restrictions on this forum.

The guy partied beforehand. He got in a car and reached speeds never before seen by local law enforcement, before plowing into an unsuspecting woman and her dog in their car. Both woman and dog burned alive. Guy was defiant and hostile even after the crash at the hospital.

I have ZERO sympathy for this monster. If I personally had a choice in the matter I would sentence him to death. There are no excuses for what he did, not youth, not 'racism,' etc. I know some of his fanbase will look at videos of him sitting by the crash crying, expressing how sad they feel for him and his tragic 'mistake.' Nothing surprises me anymore.

It's sad that the first thought on many people's minds when they heard about this case, is that they hope his NFL status doesn't affect sentencing/punishment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxMkUdPaKns

Old 11-04-2021, 08:51 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
Quote:
Think back to your youth.. And likely, you also find a situation where you did something ungodly stupid.. but the coin flip came up heads in your situation. Dare to say, we all have that crossroads in our lives.

He is only 22.
Exactly!
The male brain isn't even fully developed until age 25. I made so many stupid mistakes when I was young & I can pretty much track them all to before age 26. I'm really lucky to be alive, or not in jail. So yes, people need to properly reflect on their youth, & then they'll have a little better understanding about this Ruggs incident. He's 22. Made a mistake. The focus should be on rehab, not incarceration, but this is the U.S. where for some idiotic reason we still give life prison sentences, & executions.

Derek Carr said it best. "But he needs people to love him right now. He's probably feeling a certain type of way about himself right now, and he needs to be loved. And if no one else will do it, I'll do it."

Old 11-05-2021, 07:17 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Let's see if we can rehab the woman who burned to death trapped in her car while we're rehabbing people.

dammit !

Old 11-05-2021, 07:59 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,280,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Exactly!
The male brain isn't even fully developed until age 25. I made so many stupid mistakes when I was young & I can pretty much track them all to before age 26. I'm really lucky to be alive, or not in jail. So yes, people need to properly reflect on their youth, & then they'll have a little better understanding about this Ruggs incident. He's 22. Made a mistake. The focus should be on rehab, not incarceration, but this is the U.S. where for some idiotic reason we still give life prison sentences, & executions.

Derek Carr said it best. "But he needs people to love him right now. He's probably feeling a certain type of way about himself right now, and he needs to be loved. And if no one else will do it, I'll do it."
I wonder if the family of the woman who BURNED TO DEATH because of this guy needs people to love them right now?

Old 11-05-2021, 09:50 AM

602 posts, read 313,432 times
Sure wasn't his first time speeding and driving reckless down a Vegas residential street with his girlfriend scared

https://nypost.com/2021/11/05/video-...dly-dui-crash/

Last edited by Mr B Kind; 11-05-2021 at 10:00 AM..

Old 11-05-2021, 09:51 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm not sure I agree with your point. Where I differ is this: Athletes such as Henry Ruggs has known a form a privilege all his life. You can't take a promising athlete when he's eight or nine, continually hold him up to a different standard throughout his youth and education, hang on every word he says in a million interviews, and then be suddenly aghast when he doesn't behave like a normal and functioning member of society.

What's more, I reject the 'very modest backgrounds only to become multi-millionaires' argument, chiefly because of its paternalism. Are you saying that people from very modest backgrounds don't know to drink and drive? Or that they aren't aware of basic standards of behavior? Or are we looking for a way to bend the standards because the guy is an athlete? That is the crux of the question.

Hey, I love sports as much as the next guy. But the star athlete is pampered, elevated, and generally doted on from the time he puts on his cleats in junior high until he hangs them up upon retiring from the field. Henry Ruggs literally spent every moment of his football career being cajoled and mentored in ways that no ordinary person could ever hope to enjoy.

A similar experience can be found in children who star in television or movies at an early day. They are so cossetted that they have an extraordinarily difficult time having anything approaching a sane worldview. But if some former Disney actress goes on a bender or kills someone, how much slack are we going to cut her?

Nope. These guys are ministered to, have personal tutors, and generally enjoy a coterie of camp followers ready to help them succeed in high school and college. So if anything, he's probably benefited from more guidance than any of his classmates. All you have to do is talk to someone who is an academic adviser at a major university. Ask that person the kind of hoops they have to jump through to push that kid to make his GPA.

So no. Henry Ruggs did what he did out of entitlement and arrogance, not because of his background--whatever that means. An innocent woman is dead, and I don't feel sorry for him in the least.
So.. You leave no possibility that.. He just made a horrible mistake? must be either A or B?

I don't disagree with your points, entirely, about his life so far, or that background plays any real part in this. Bringing back the Vick case, THAT one, I have to believe background played a big part, because, if you're not exposed to that.. That doesn't seem to be something you just 'fall into'.

The description of his life to this point.. Maybe I disagree a bit there. yes, there likely was pampering.. But, there was also a hell of a lot of hard work. Do those balance out? I don't know. He likely had few friends outside of football. Does that matter at all? No.

Entitlement I also disagree with as the cause. Alcohol fueled stupidity would be my diagnosis.

him being a football player.. just doesn't factor into this, IMO.. at least, it shouldn't. and the biggest point that I'm making.. It also should not factor in to his sentencing.

"Comparing" cases once again.. Aaron Hernandez. This one was a horrible mistake. The other had intent. I didn't have any sympathy for that guy. And even here.. Not sure if I have sympathy for the guy or the situation he's put himself in. Blink of an eye, you change your life forever.

Another situation.. Long, long ago, and you can find the case online.. There were a couple of guys firing off a 50 cal.. They were firing it into a dirt bank a mile away from anywhere. Problem is.. A mile away.. Was a place called Carowinds. Amusement park. They had just built a brand new water park. People are out there having fun. These guys were firing towards it. Probably not even realizing it because it was a mile away. Well.. a 50 cal has some range on it. As I recall, 3 or 4 people were shot and one died. Obviously, those guys doing the shooting weren't doing anything intentional. They didn't go out to kill someone. They weren't very smart, either. Obviously, they went to jail, rightfully so. But.. That whole 'blink of an eye' thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sickening beyond words.

His entitled behavior before and afterwards. The poor victim of his sociopath burned to death.

I'm sure some feel forced to make a 'neutral' statement regarding this incident for fear of being labeled 'racist.'

But thankfully there are no such restrictions on this forum.

The guy partied beforehand. He got in a car and reached speeds never before seen by local law enforcement, before plowing into an unsuspecting woman and her dog in their car. Both woman and dog burned alive. Guy was defiant and hostile even after the crash at the hospital.

I have ZERO sympathy for this monster. If I personally had a choice in the matter I would sentence him to death. There are no excuses for what he did, not youth, not 'racism,' etc. I know some of his fanbase will look at videos of him sitting by the crash crying, expressing how sad they feel for him and his tragic 'mistake.' Nothing surprises me anymore.

It's sad that the first thought on many people's minds when they heard about this case, is that they hope his NFL status doesn't affect sentencing/punishment.
Yeah, there's people who think the capitol rioters should get years in jail as well. These folks generally also get really, really quiet when the DNA project proves the innocence of someone.

Not that innocence is even in question here. As for the racism angle.. I don't see that playing any kind of part. But.. I do agree with you that.. That certainly can happen. I mean, hell.. Look at OJ. Opinion has pretty much turned on that, but back in the day.. That certainly was thrown around and was a main point in the case. But, let's be honest, it's the world we live in. There certainly are people who get triggered because he is black. There'd be people who would get triggered if this were an illegal immigrant. Technically, I would get triggered more on the latter because.. See my comments on "Pattern of behavior" before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Let's see if we can rehab the woman who burned to death trapped in her car while we're rehabbing people.

dammit !
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
I wonder if the family of the woman who BURNED TO DEATH because of this guy needs people to love them right now?
So.. it's not possible to have sympathy for both sides?

Sure, I feel more for the woman who died and her family. But one doesn't necessarily prohibit the other.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:58 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,280,794 times
Quote:
So.. it's not possible to have sympathy for both sides?

Sure, I feel more for the woman who died and her family. But one doesn't necessarily prohibit the other.
Don't conflate sympathy with empathy. They're not the same.

I have great sympathy and empathy for the woman who BURNED TO DEATH and her family.

I have some empathy for Ruggs, but only some. And zero sympathy. Sympathy implies that we're going to let the guy off the hook, that there are no consequences for his behavior, that we're just going to pat his head and say "there, there."

He is a victim only of his own life choices. He apparently has a history of driving far too fast. The only way some 20-something males in our society ever learn is when they hurt themselves or others. In this case, he caused a woman to suffer unimaginably. There are consequences for that behavior. He doesn't get off the hook. If he comes out of prison in 20 years "rehabilitated" and goes on to do wonderful acts, that's fine.

Old 11-05-2021, 01:03 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
. . . The only way some 20-something males in our society ever learn is when they hurt themselves or others. . . .
Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn at no other.
Ben Franklin
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:57 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
is there anything illegal about having a loaded gun in your car?

In this case, obviously yes.. Because he was drunk. But.. I believe, technically, and I could be wrong about this.. If he was being the DD for someone who was drunk and had the loaded gun in his car it would have still hit the same charge. Which seems rather ridiculous.

but, the loaded gun being there in and of itself.. Nothing illegal about that, so far as I know. Wouldn't be illegal here in SC. Won't say I'm up to speed on Nevada carry laws.

New York City.. Certainly a different story.. Just ask Plaxico.

Why I said I found the gun charge ticky-tacky is because it wasn't used in any way at all. it was just there. It wasn't brandished, it wasn't used to threaten, it wasn't involved in the crime whatsoever. I'd compare it SOMEWHAT to "He robbed a bank and the security guard was armed" fine.. Get him for robbing the bank, but..
I talked to a friend last night who lived in Elko for a time and he told me that Nevada law does allow open carry but people are required to get a CCW permit in order to carry a concealed weapon.

And I would like to know if he did have a permit, from the various news items online I haven't seen whether he did or didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football