Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 10:28 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times

Advertisements

Once the gavel drops, and Ruggs has a few months to sit in confinement and think about everything he has squandered with his potentially illustrious career, and the mental demons set in, he will likely go the route of Aaron Hernandez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 12:45 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Once the gavel drops, and Ruggs has a few months to sit in confinement and think about everything he has squandered with his potentially illustrious career, and the mental demons set in, he will likely go the route of Aaron Hernandez.
It is possible but most people in prison do not kill themselves.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:26 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. You leave no possibility that.. He just made a horrible mistake? must be either A or B?

I don't disagree with your points, entirely, about his life so far, or that background plays any real part in this. Bringing back the Vick case, THAT one, I have to believe background played a big part, because, if you're not exposed to that.. That doesn't seem to be something you just 'fall into'.

The description of his life to this point.. Maybe I disagree a bit there. yes, there likely was pampering.. But, there was also a hell of a lot of hard work. Do those balance out? I don't know. He likely had few friends outside of football. Does that matter at all? No.

Entitlement I also disagree with as the cause. Alcohol fueled stupidity would be my diagnosis.

A mistake is forgetting to pay your Visa bill.

A mistake is a mathematical error on your taxes.

A mistake is asking someone, "Hey, how's your Dad?" when his funeral was just the previous week.

Getting liquored up at more than twice the accepted blood alcohol level, driving at 158 mph down a Las Vegas street, and boucing an innocent motorist 500 feet down the street is not a mistake. It was a failure to take the consequences of his actions seriously. Because, hey, he's a stud in the NFL. The rules don't apply to him.

In fact, I don't think Vick and Ruggs are even remotely comparable. Because hanging out at a dog fighting competition, bad as it was, pales in comparison to outright killing someone.

Alcohol doesn't just dulls the senses and impairs judgment. It also reveals character, too. Whereas all kinds of ordinary people would have said, "Whoa. I've had too much to drink. I need to call someone," he said, "Screw it. Nobody's going to tell me to not drive."

Heck. The Raiders literally have someone available 24/7 to pick up players and drive the home at times like this. This fact is hammered into players' heads time and again.

There is literally no excuse. And certainly not his background, which is pretty much soft bigotry if you ask me. Are you saying that being poor and African American means a lack of awareness of traffic laws? Pfft to that.

At the very least McNaughton's Rule comes into play: Would he have done it if a policeman were around? Chances are? No.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:54 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
In fact, I don't think Vick and Ruggs are even remotely comparable. Because hanging out at a dog fighting competition, bad as it was, pales in comparison to outright killing someone.
I wasn't trying to compare what Vick did, to what Ruggs did, Ruggs's actions are a billion, trillion, googol times worse, I was just pointing out if Vick got almost 2 years for what he did, Ruggs should get a heck of a lot more for his crimes, like 15+ years, just sayin'!

Old 11-08-2021, 09:37 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
With all charges:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...on-fatal-crash

If proven guilty in a fair trial, he deserves the Max.

Well, that's a lack of understanding of the law and how it works. Unless they decide to run sentences consecutively, he has zero chance of doing 46 years. In fact, I think they've tacked on a few more, so, it's probably a little higher than that now. But, let's run with the 46 years for now.

To get that, he'd have to get the max on each and every charge. As a first time offender, were he sentenced to that, there's virtually no question it would be thrown out. I suspect he'll get more than the minimum, but there's no way he gets the max. AND the max on every charge AND the sentences set to run consecutively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes, young men can do some stupid things. However, that doesn't mean Ruggs should get a pass because of his age. He should be held responsible for what he did, that's all - no more, no less. This is not a no harm no foul situation - a young woman is dead, purely because of Ruggs' selfishness and recklessness. Someone has to pay, and that would rightfully be the person who committed the act.

No one is, or at least, I am not saying he should get a pass. That's crazy. Someone is dead. There's consequences for that, no matter what. JUST if he were driving 156mph and there was no alcohol involved.. There would be the need for jail time. That alone is a complete lack of regard for the safety of others. Throw in the DUI aspect and that means there's pretty much a requirement for prison time. Hence, the Nevada statute being 2 years on the low end.. They recognize that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
46 years?!? Unbelievable. Scandinavian countries have a max prison sentence around 15 years for good reason. They actually rehab prisoners. They apply empathy, & actual deeper thinking strategies to help criminals reintegrate & benefit society.

Nope. Doesn't matter to me if it's Ruggs or Kyle Rittenhouse. We need reform in regards to our criminal justice system, especially related to the youth. We're still in the stone age.

I agree, for different reasons. There's no question the US system is a revolving door and is designed to be punitive with little regard for the fact that 90% of people WILL get out at some point, regardless of what anyone else wants to say. But, setting a max term.. 15 years is not enough for some crimes.

But, we also give time for things that.. Alternative sentences could be better used for. And things that we do give time for, especially places like California.. People are released after serving a tiny fraction of it.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:08 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It is possible but most people in prison do not kill themselves.

Most people in prison never had anything close to what this young man had. When you have nothing to begin with, and your expectations are close to rock bottom, prison time is just another day.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:00 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
FWIW.. I found some info on the Nevada statute..

The 2 years is a MANDATORY MINIMUM. No part of which can be suspended or served on probation. Nor can the prosecutor negotiate any part of that two years away in a plea agreement.

So, there's no question that he does 2 years. Well, 2 years, counting good time. Which I believe would work out to about 18 months.

But, the expectation is that he'd get more than just the minimum due to the aggravating circumstances of double the limit and massively excessive speed in a residential area.

He'll also likely get consideration for a guilty plea because.. I mean, they've got him dead to rights.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:01 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
The Raiders are a mess. First it was the coach and his apparent racism, then it was Henry Ruggs and now it's Damon Arnette.

Quote:
Arnette, an Ohio State product, was seen on video holding up multiple guns and even threatened to kill somebody. The video was deleted Friday night, but it had already made its way around social media over the weekend.
Raiders release Damon Arnette after video appears to show him holding guns, threatening to kill someone

Old 11-09-2021, 08:15 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup.

And another thing. If the roles had been reversed here I absolutely guarantee ruggs' fan base would have a completely different reaction.

Imagine if a 23-year old woman with a blood alcohol level twice the legal limit got in a car and speeds 156 mph before crashing into ruggs' car. Rugg survives the initial impact, but then burns to death as bystanders are unable to free him. There would be such fury and rage from ruggs' fan base and various social justice organizations condemning the lady for driving impaired, speeding, and killing a promising and gifted professional athlete. There would be vigils and marches at the lady's trial, and demands that she be given 40 years in prison or else. Any person that dares to show sympathy towards the woman or excuse what she did, would be shamed and doxxed. And there would be nonstop media coverage of a greater scale, hand wringing, and cries for harsher punishment for DUI.

Like I said, we live in a sick and twisted world where celebrities, professional athletes, and others of their ilk are given special privileges and passes by their adoring fan base regardless of which side of the judicial process they sit (plaintiff or defendant).
This is EXACTLY what would happened. Also, you should add that the woman would not have a high priced attorney and team to defend her, she would be lucky to have a public defender most likely.

As for some saying that he could go back to football after prison to to pay his lawsuit to the family, as a father I wouldn't give a rats butt for his blood money.

I would want JUSTICE.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:36 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Continuing to show lack of any remorse or accountability for his actions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/henry-rug...161932751.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football