Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2023, 08:58 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Don't think Jets have that kind of money? Their GM said, they aren't going to pursue Lamar:

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/...is-their-focus

“First of all, Lamar Jackson’s a fantastic player,” Douglas said. “where we stand is it would be disingenuous and negotiating in bad faith if we went down that path. Right now, we have our plan, we have our process and we’re sticking to that.”
The free agency money some QB's have been getting is crazy lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 09:35 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The free agency money some QB's have been getting is crazy lol.
Lamar Jackson I'm sure will cost the Jets more than Rodgers. BIG difference in age.

I can see Jackson costing the Jets one, if not two, first round picks over the next couple years. I highly doubt they'd want to do that.

However, the Jets are kind of backed up in a corner right now. I do foresee them getting Rodgers. He had better produce right away or you may see a fanbase coming down on the team similar to Denver. One thing for sure, if Rodgers struggles, it will be other people's fault.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
He would be "on the team" but "not on the team". Just like Watson. GB has to eat the salary but since they are not paying Jordan Love much of anything they can afford it. Now, if Rodgers were to still be on the roster in 2024 that may be more of an issue moneywise as they will have to pay Love if they like him. Even then though they could likely structure a Love deal to make it work. But that won't happen. Jets will cave by July 1st of this year as long as GB sticks to their demands.

The really funny thing is that, in terms of distractions I think it is a far bigger distraction for the Jets to be in their training camp WITHOUT Rodgers than it is for the Packers to be in theirs WITH Rodgers. It would be comically funny to see Zach Wilson getting all the first team reps in training camp while the entire New York media asks every day when the Rodgers deal will be finalized. The Pack have the Jets right where they want them.

The only thing that could go wrong for the Packers is if the Jets do a complete 180 and trade for Lamar. But that would be a disastrous move for the Jets IMO and wouldn't be any cheaper than just trading for Rodgers. In fact, it would be quite a bit more expensive.

The Jets other option is that they look for someone like Matt Ryan or Carson Wentz. Is Wentz even on a team currently? Both are tough sells to the fan base that is currently certain Rodgers will be their QB in 2023.

As neither a Jet or Packer fan I would love to see this stalemate go well into June just for entertainment value.

The other interesting thing to watch is that the longer the stalemate goes, could another team enter the equation? The NFC seems like the ideal landing spot for Rodgers given the total lack of elite QB's in that conference. I think the problem though is that every team that needs a QB feels like they are a long way off from competing for a super bowl. So, there is no incentive to sign Rodgers. The QB needy teams are not a QB away.

The Vikings likely could upgrade from Cousins, but they are paying Cousins a lot of money so I don't think they can make the money side of things work. Plus, do they really want to go down that road again after Favre? Favre did play well (statistically his best season ever) but ultimately it did not work out.
You and me both. I've ordered more Jiffy-Pop.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:29 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
It continues to be comical to me how deep in dog poop the Jets are over the Rodgers situation. I've never seen a team pretty much talk about a QB that is on another team as if that QB is already in their building working out with his new teammates. But then I here a report the other day that the Packers now say they don't necessarily need a first-round pick in a trade. Are they crazy? They should start at 2 first round picks. I just think they will be 2024 and 2025 first rounders, where the Jets think they will be in the mid 20's rather than a top 15 pick like this year.

I pray that this at least goes to the first day of training camp so I can see Zach Wilson taking first team reps with the Jets.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:22 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Tt is odd, you heard other GMs, coaches say, I don't speak about players on other teams. Packers want to get this deal done, I'm thinking those two 2nd rounders might come into play. I've said since the beginning, it might be more about the $$$. Packers have a May 1 deadline for Love's 5th year option, which has to be done in year 4.

Old 03-30-2023, 06:44 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Lamar Jackson I'm sure will cost the Jets more than Rodgers. BIG difference in age.

I can see Jackson costing the Jets one, if not two, first round picks over the next couple years. I highly doubt they'd want to do that.

However, the Jets are kind of backed up in a corner right now. I do foresee them getting Rodgers. He had better produce right away or you may see a fanbase coming down on the team similar to Denver. One thing for sure, if Rodgers struggles, it will be other people's fault.
Lamar is good, but he want's MVP money and he hasn't sustained anywhere near that. But other good but not great QB's have cashed in.

Personally if I'm the Jets I'd go with Lamar.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lamar is good, but he want's MVP money and he hasn't sustained anywhere near that. But other good but not great QB's have cashed in.

Personally if I'm the Jets I'd go with Lamar
I would too, unless the cost to the program in coming years is too high. I know, that's a relative statement. I guess we'll find out what too high is.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:47 AM

With Browns giving their QB 200+ mil in guaranteed money, I don't see the Ravens or any team doing that. There's been some posts about what the Ravens have offered, I still think Lamar has been losing money, playing on a tag, not signing a contract. I think Jets want Rodgers and aren't going to go with Lamar.

Old 03-30-2023, 06:03 PM

12,417 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
It continues to be comical to me how deep in dog poop the Jets are over the Rodgers situation. I've never seen a team pretty much talk about a QB that is on another team as if that QB is already in their building working out with his new teammates. But then I here a report the other day that the Packers now say they don't necessarily need a first-round pick in a trade. Are they crazy? They should start at 2 first round picks. I just think they will be 2024 and 2025 first rounders, where the Jets think they will be in the mid 20's rather than a top 15 pick like this year.

I pray that this at least goes to the first day of training camp so I can see Zach Wilson taking first team reps with the Jets.
LOL, that would serve the Jets right - you don't want to give anything valuable in return? Let's see you do another season with Zach Wilson at the helm...

Old 04-25-2023, 06:36 AM

Whelp, he's yours now! As a Packers fan, I don't wish him any ill will, hope he does well for the Jets.

I do hope he tones down his attitude a tad, I think his relationship with Hackett will be helpful. He is a smart guy, we get it. Chuck the attitude about it and just get to know your teammates on their level, don't set ridiculous expectations right at the get go..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football