Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2023, 07:32 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Jets won the game, good for them. Achilles for AR, won't be back, he'll be 40 in Dec., what now?
Around the water cooler this morning, some believe that AR will come back next year. But what if Zach does a good job and gets the Jets into the playoffs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 07:44 AM

14,475 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Why do you think they went for it on 4th and 1 instead of kicking the "go ahead" FG.
4th down fails with a couple minutes left in the game likely they lose the game. Buffalo would be at the 18 and run heavy offense where one first down could seal the game.

Bad gamble (that worked) by the Jets coach?
Attached Thumbnails
Gang Green: The New York Jets Thread-untitled.jpgdfrf.jpg  

Old 09-12-2023, 09:43 AM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Around the water cooler this morning, some believe that AR will come back next year. But what if Zach does a good job and gets the Jets into the playoffs?

I have no doubt he'll come back, just because he won't want to leave like this. The problem is.. At 39 an achilles injury is major and.. Well.. he isn't exactly the most mobile thing on the face of the earth.. So it may not affect him horribly.

But.. This is astoundingly common.. I'd think if someone were to track achilles injuries in the NFL.. the vast majority of them happen either in the preseason or the first game or two of the season.

Chase Young being the most recent exception to the rule that I can think of.

And, if Zach gets them into the playoffs.. Wonder if the Vikings are looking for a QB next year. I think a whole lot of us have been drawing the parallels already

Old 09-12-2023, 10:35 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Jets coach Robert Saleh confirmed after the game that Rodgers will likely miss the season and Wilson will be the starter. They’ll get official test results on the Achilles today.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-12-2023, 11:03 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Rogers should consider retiring. His injury is made more difficult to fully recover by his current age. Recovery isn’t the issue. Recovery to return to NFL level of play as well as the potential of re-injury is the issue.

Old 09-12-2023, 11:16 AM

12,433 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Jeez - I wasn't looking forward to the Patriots facing a Rodgers-powered Jets team in the AFC East this year, but nevertheless *not* what we want to see. I hope Rodgers can make a complete recovery.

While Zach Wilson was kind of a washout in his first go-around, from what I understand, his biggest issues were mental dysfunction, not physical limitations. Hopefully, he has matured some - going from first round draft choice to starting QB and then to intense criticism and ultimately riding the pine and being replaced *must* have been quite a sobering and humbling experience. I am not saying you can expect him to suddenly become the perfect leader and perfect analytical QB, but he's had nearly a year to think about what he was doing wrong and what that got him, and he's had some opportunity to witness how Aaron Rodgers leads an NFL team when he's at his best, so I'd be shocked if Wilson wasn't better in his second chance.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-12-2023 at 11:25 AM..

Old 09-12-2023, 11:29 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Well, the Jets' defense played a strong game and they have some pretty talented receivers on the roster, I think writing them off due to the Rodgers' injury, as much as it may hurt (no pun intended), would be very premature.

Old 09-12-2023, 11:34 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
That was such a "gentle" sack. Sure didn't expect a major injury.
I didn't know what they meant when they said his calf "reverberated."
When the showed the slow motion of the "reverberation" I nearly got sick.

Old 09-12-2023, 12:30 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
That was such a "gentle" sack. Sure didn't expect a major injury.
I didn't know what they meant when they said his calf "reverberated."
When the showed the slow motion of the "reverberation" I nearly got sick.

Apparently all it takes is moving the wrong way at the wrong angle with not too much force. I knew someone a few years ago whose Achilles tendon popped while he was basically just walking, he described it as being extremely painful and feeling like an overextended window shade rolling up in his leg.

Old 09-12-2023, 01:10 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Apparently all it takes is moving the wrong way at the wrong angle with not too much force. I knew someone a few years ago whose Achilles tendon popped while he was basically just walking, he described it as being extremely painful and feeling like an overextended window shade rolling up in his leg.

Burdell is right. It DOESN'T take much. Ask Dan Marino. I remember when he tore his right achilles, it was week 5 of the 1993 season. Playing in Cleveland, Dan took a somewhat odd step, threw the ball, then crumpled to the ground. He was on the ground for it seemed like 5 minutes surrounded by half the team and coaching staff. That game was on in my area. And then Miami took another punch in the gut as Scott Mitchell came in and right away threw a pick 6 (can't remember which Brown took it for 6). Sometimes it just doesn't take much, sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football