Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If the NFL doesn't have a salary cap in 2010 who would you bet your money on to win the super bowl?
Dallas Cowboys 3 20.00%
Oakland Radiers 2 13.33%
Green Bay Packers 0 0%
Pittsburg Steelers 7 46.67%
San Francisco 49ers 1 6.67%
Washington Redskins 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:00 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,297,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You are clueless if you think 1960's and 1970's NFL economics are even close to today's NFL economics. You are also clueless if you think Green Bay has always been a dominant team. After Bart Starr and before Brett Favre, Green Bay was an NFL outpost, who had to sell shares to the community so they would not be forced from Green Bay. Hell, until the mid-90's, they didn't even play all of their home games in Green Bay. In fact, between 1968 and 1991, when there was not a salary cap BTW, Green Bay had a total of 5 winning seasons and two playoff appearences; winning only one playoff game. Green Bay would become the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL if the salary cap dissappeared.
Yup and I know I'm bias but that would be sad. There is something cool about a team thats successful from a town of 100K people competing against the New Yorks, Chicago's and Houstons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 06:12 PM

18,245 posts, read 25,903,448 times
There DAMN sure IS something cool about it, you bet there is!

Good info here by Toxic Toast. And when you go back to the years PRECEDING the Vince Lombardi era, their won and loss records are even worse than the years Toxic Toast has for the years in the late 70's and the 80's. Much worse. In fact, in 1958, the year before the Lombardi era, they won one game the whole season. Yep, they were 1-11. In that game they barely nudged Philadelphia in the end, 38-35. And the attendance in those games were basically 25 to 30 thousand a game, be it Green Bay or Milwaukee. The last time they were a factor in the league was the late 30's-early 40's.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:11 PM

15 posts, read 10,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I'd like to see a cap-less NFL. I dont have a dog in the hunt, since I don't really care for NFL football.

That's sick.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:26 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,161,700 times
The whole thing about the cap in football works different compared to other sports.I'm a Steelers fan and we work the draft and do minimal free agent signings when it comes to the big names so a cap can only help us and hurt the Patriots,Giants,and other teams that just throw the money around.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:19 PM

14,569 posts, read 23,098,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
That would be crap. I think the Packers have the smallest market in pro sports and there is no way they could compete with guys like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder. The NFL is making tons of money, the players are WELL paid, yet they are getting greedy and this could hurt the sport. Why are they screwing something up that is working so well right now?
Because despite the excellent money that rookies and star players earn, the middle tier guys are getting screwed royally. There is a huge pay disparity in the league and a lot of veterans that suffer career ending injuries are left in the cold because they have no benefits and protections.

I largely blame this on Gene Upshaw. He'll go down as one of the biggest disasters in the history of the NFL.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:23 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,297,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Because despite the excellent money that rookies and star players earn, the middle tier guys are getting screwed royally. There is a huge pay disparity in the league and a lot of veterans that suffer career ending injuries are left in the cold because they have no benefits and protections.

I largely blame this on Gene Upshaw. He'll go down as one of the biggest disasters in the history of the NFL.

I completely agree with you it's nuts that unproven rookies get so much and established guys get scraps. Look at some of the busts who sign HUGE contracts only to play 2-3 years. Take the Lions who drafted Mike Williams and Charles Rodgers both huge busts but made a fortune.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,086,760 times
If Dallas wins the super bowl and the NFL remains uncapped, this man is done watching the NFL. It's hard enough watching the Phillies compete with New York and Rutgers compete with schools that allow any good athlete with a GED into their school. When does hockey season start?

Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,737,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
It's looking more and more like the 2010 season will go uncapped and who knows how many more seasons that will last. Am I the only one worried about the NFL turning into baseball, where only about 6 or 7 teams have a realistic shot at winning it all every year?
more like the AFC winning it every year

Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM

78,606 posts, read 60,785,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

The NBA faced this problem and solved it with fixed pay packages for rookies and still kept a cap in place. This is good in that there are no longer holdouts and bitter rookie negotiations while keeping each team able to financially compete with one another.

Going the route of no cap, like baseball, is dumb and will kill smaller market teams like it has in baseball. (Moneyball only goes so far).

10 years from now if it's the Giants, Cowboys and a few others always at the top and they are taking the Adrian Petersons and Cutlers etc. of the league away from the small markets (like in baseball) then I won't be watching much NFL anymore.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,770,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camonberre View Post
That's sick.
That's ambiguous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football