Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If the NFL doesn't have a salary cap in 2010 who would you bet your money on to win the super bowl?
Dallas Cowboys 3 20.00%
Oakland Radiers 2 13.33%
Green Bay Packers 0 0%
Pittsburg Steelers 7 46.67%
San Francisco 49ers 1 6.67%
Washington Redskins 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:07 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,850,167 times

Advertisements

49ers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,621,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The whole thing about the cap in football works different compared to other sports.I'm a Steelers fan and we work the draft and do minimal free agent signings when it comes to the big names so a cap can only help us and hurt the Patriots,Giants,and other teams that just throw the money around.

The Patriots just throw money around??? Are you serious?

Ask Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy and Logan Mankins, and Willie McGinest, and Asante Samuel and Tebucky Jones the rest of the guys who left to cash in on a big pay day somewhere else because the Patriots dont shell out big money. Hell Brady makes less than more than half the starters in the league at his position and he is arguabley the best at his position.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 PM

623 posts, read 1,546,213 times
The Patriots have been frugal with consideration of the salary cap though. I bet if there was no long term cap they'd spend like no tomorrow.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 AM

910 posts, read 2,990,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You are clueless if you think 1960's and 1970's NFL economics are even close to today's NFL economics. You are also clueless if you think Green Bay has always been a dominant team. After Bart Starr and before Brett Favre, Green Bay was an NFL outpost, who had to sell shares to the community so they would not be forced from Green Bay. Hell, until the mid-90's, they didn't even play all of their home games in Green Bay. In fact, between 1968 and 1991, when there was not a salary cap BTW, Green Bay had a total of 5 winning seasons and two playoff appearences; winning only one playoff game. Green Bay would become the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL if the salary cap dissappeared.

I believe you are clueless "Toxic Toast". The one and only Lombardi Trophy is named after who? Vince Lombardi. And Coach Lombardi was the Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers when the very first superbowl was won. Do you know how many Cheese Heads are sold in one year? Do you know how many Terrible Towels are sold in one year? Do you know how many Raider Fan Apperal is sold in one year? These 3 teams that you have just bashed in your last three posts are 3 teams that have helped build the history in this league on and off the field. I can't think of three other teams that have more influence on their fan base than the Raiders, Packers, and Steelers.

The Packers are in Green Bay, but they have near by Milwaukee and Northern Chicago Metro has thousands of Green Bay fans. When I lived in Kansas, I knew about 10 people in my town that would wear Green Bay Packers Jackets in the winter. They wouldn't be able to afford Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings, Ryan Grant, Donald Driver, James Jones, Charles Woodson, and all of the great talanted players they have today, but they would still be able to compete. Plus, there are no other Professional sports teams to support in Green Bay, and they would love to keep the Packers there, trust me.

Teams that I can't see being able to compete due to their fan base;

Jacksonville Jaguars, Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis Rams, Detroit Lions maybe.

Those are the teams I would expect to struggle with the salary uncapped.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
The Patriots just throw money around??? Are you serious?

Ask Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy and Logan Mankins, and Willie McGinest, and Asante Samuel and Tebucky Jones the rest of the guys who left to cash in on a big pay day somewhere else because the Patriots dont shell out big money. Hell Brady makes less than more than half the starters in the league at his position and he is arguabley the best at his position.

If the league was uncapped, than why wouldn't the Patriots spend all this money on keeping their good players? Just ask Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft, I'm sure they would pay Tom Brady and Randy Moss both $300 million, and pay Wes Welker $200 million, pay Willie McGinest $200 million, pay Asaunte Samuel $150 million, pay Tebucky Jones $175 million, I can definitely see that. I can't see why the Patriots wouldn't.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:07 PM
B&A

336 posts, read 252,665 times
Go cowboys! Woot!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:11 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,621,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
If the league was uncapped, than why wouldn't the Patriots spend all this money on keeping their good players? Just ask Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft, I'm sure they would pay Tom Brady and Randy Moss both $300 million, and pay Wes Welker $200 million, pay Willie McGinest $200 million, pay Asaunte Samuel $150 million, pay Tebucky Jones $175 million, I can definitely see that. I can't see why the Patriots wouldn't.

Beacuse anyone with half a grain of intelligence about football can tell you the "Daniel Snider Throw Money at the Problem" theory doesnt work. You have to have stars and role players to make a team work. Too many stars = too many egos = too many blown plays.

If your such a big steelers fan you would know your team practices the same theory about not over paying.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Beacuse anyone with half a grain of intelligence about football can tell you the "Daniel Snider Throw Money at the Problem" theory doesnt work. You have to have stars and role players to make a team work. Too many stars = too many egos = too many blown plays.

If your such a big steelers fan you would know your team practices the same theory about not over paying.

hahaha the patriots already have had a team full of stars as a franchise this past decade. And they haven't been consistent the whole time because they haven't been able to keep them all. If they had their teams salary uncapped, they would love to still have them all. Im sure that plenty of city-datians agree with me too. And thanks for complimenting me on being a big steelers fan brother. ))

Old 08-21-2010, 10:27 AM

8,991 posts, read 17,348,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
I believe you are clueless "Toxic Toast". The one and only Lombardi Trophy is named after who? Vince Lombardi. And Coach Lombardi was the Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers when the very first superbowl was won. Do you know how many Cheese Heads are sold in one year? Do you know how many Terrible Towels are sold in one year? Do you know how many Raider Fan Apperal is sold in one year? These 3 teams that you have just bashed in your last three posts are 3 teams that have helped build the history in this league on and off the field. I can't think of three other teams that have more influence on their fan base than the Raiders, Packers, and Steelers.

The Packers are in Green Bay, but they have near by Milwaukee and Northern Chicago Metro has thousands of Green Bay fans. When I lived in Kansas, I knew about 10 people in my town that would wear Green Bay Packers Jackets in the winter. They wouldn't be able to afford Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings, Ryan Grant, Donald Driver, James Jones, Charles Woodson, and all of the great talanted players they have today, but they would still be able to compete. Plus, there are no other Professional sports teams to support in Green Bay, and they would love to keep the Packers there, trust me.

Teams that I can't see being able to compete due to their fan base;

Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis Rams, Detroit Lions maybe.

Those are the teams I would expect to struggle with the salary uncapped.
Show me where I said anything about the Steelers and Raiders.

Please also re-read the info I posted about the Packers. All of it is true, and all of it is exactly the Packers would become irrelevant. It is all fact. You might want to do some research on the subject. It is not 1967 anymore.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Show me where I said anything about the Steelers and Raiders.

Please also re-read the info I posted about the Packers. All of it is true, and all of it is exactly the Packers would become irrelevant. It is all fact. You might want to do some research on the subject. It is not 1967 anymore.

1.) Please re-read what I mentioned about Vince Lombardi. Everything I have said was a true fact.

2.) Please show me where I put, "Toxic Toast said" anywhere on my post. I put in the Steelers and Raiders too prove a point on what people thought would be small market teams.

3.) Do you not realize how valuable the Lombardi Trophy is? Do you know who it is named after? You might want to research Vince Lombardi on google and see what you come up with. Anyone who doesn't know that have no football knowledge at all and shouldn't be participating in online forums. You should feel ashamed of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football