Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 10:46 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
They are also much more likely to be in positions of power.

https://www.apa.org/pubs/highlights/spotlight/issue-123

Psychopaths are more likely to be in prison.......they are 1% of the population but 25% of the male prison population.......

Being a *true* diagnosed psychopath is a serious chronic mental condition that can’t stay hidden........& this kinda thread IMO makes it sound like all of us are attracted to mentally unstable men....which would make us crazy too.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 11:27 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
As a woman who has both been attracted to & also attracts psychopaths; I sort of have to agree.

There is a deeper message behind the traits. Whatever it is that controls my base attraction is very primal. Biological even.

Three of my four LTR's involve men who are convicted felons. I'm not talking about street-level hustlers here; I'm talking about guys who made national news in organized crime & racketeering. ATF/DEA involvement. The best of the worst, is what I used to say.

But 500 years ago they would have been warriors of renown & rulers of men. Survivors, at any cost. Society has changed & men like them are now known as dangerous & anti-social.

I don't know why my brain never got the message that I don't need Attila the Hun or the Godfather as a significant other. It's been problematic to say the least.
That's a good point. A hero in one situation could be a problem in another.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:23 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
They usually have a history dating back to their childhood with conduct...school principals....parents...& police. They don’t form emotional bonds & they can’t fake it over time...so they don’t have close bonds with family members or old friends.....& they usually have super poor work histories...

So...it’s important to know your man’s friends & family....IMO. It can tell you lots....

A N D...if a man is bad & cold to you...that shouldn’t be *better than you have ever been treated*...

Hugs...it’s not common tho for most of us to be attracted to psychopathic men IMO.....
No criminal record - I asked him on the first date. No red flags - stable job history (union worker, working on different locations). No weird family - all dead (lots of mental issues but didnt know until later). No weird friends. No enemies. All his exes still loved him (thats why we ultimately broke up). He was the star at every party and I was his queen.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:34 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Psychopaths are more likely to be in prison.......they are 1% of the population but 25% of the male prison population.......
And they are 20% of CEOs, like I said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7251251.html

Old 11-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
No criminal record - I asked him on the first date. No red flags - stable job history (union worker, working on different locations). No weird family - all dead (lots of mental issues but didnt know until later). No weird friends. No enemies. All his exes still loved him (thats why we ultimately broke up). He was the star at every party and I was his queen.

His whole family is dead?

That by itself would scare me off........like that guy in Prison Valley in Colorado....he is a psychopath..

Abusers commonly isolate too....

How did you find out he was diagnosed as a psychopath? That would be more of a reason to break up FAST IMO....than a couple of exes still having a thing for him.....

Old 11-04-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
And they are 20% of CEOs, like I said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7251251.html

25% of the prison population of 200,000 is a lot more psychopaths than 20% of CEOs A N D...

A N D...the link title you have says *psychopathic TRAITS*......that’s not a APA diagnosed psychopath. That’s more of how people throw around & confuse a diagnosis with a trait or characteristic. Depression is the same way...exaggerated & overused. Bipolar too.......if someone is moody one day, people want to slap on the bipolar diagnosis right away...& someone will say “she’s so bipolar” or she is acting bipolar....but that’s not being diagnosed as bipolar. It’s all so over & exaggerated IMO....e d i t: to a very harmful degree. It’s crude to use a DSM 5 clinical dx to label people by people that aren’t doctors.....

Last edited by TashaPosh; 11-04-2019 at 01:23 PM..

Old 11-04-2019, 01:15 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
His whole family is dead?

That by itself would scare me off........like that guy in Prison Valley in Colorado....he is a psychopath..

Abusers commonly isolate too....

How did you find out he was diagnosed as a psychopath? That would be more of a reason to break up FAST IMO....than a couple of exes still having a thing for him.....
No one meets someone and says "hello, I am going to manipulate you and pull the rug from under your feet, I am crazy and you are my victim."

haha, I diagnosed him with support of some of my friends after the breakup he himself said he is bipolar and depressed. I did not see all of the bipolar traits in him though - and once he finally spit me out like garbage, it took me a long time to wake up and see the truth.

It took me two years to fully recover from everything.

His brother was bipolar and chose to be homeless - died a few years ago, drug overdose, they had no contact for years. His mom died of cancer in her 50s. His dad died 10 years ago in his 70s, he was officially diagnosed bipolar. His grandmother was a kleptomania. His aunt died in a psychiatric institution. He said he has relatives on both sides who were a bit crazy.
They were all from France, no one really died young, it made total sense.

It is my own fault that I stayed so long - I know I was stupid. I don't need pity or sympathy, I was just dumb, I know that. I should have left after his first outburst.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:34 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Many of us have observed this but this scientific study proves it's true. My guess is most women don't actually want a psychopath as a partner, the problem is they are attracted to psychopathic traits so they end up with one anyway.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...hings-say.html
I think there is a lot of validity to that. Also, psychopaths tend to be quite successful in life so a person will be tempted often to overlook their negative traits. I think a lot of men with sociopathic or psychopathic traits have no difficulty getting women, if they are attractive or successful enough otherwise.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
No one meets someone and says "hello, I am going to manipulate you and pull the rug from under your feet, I am crazy and you are my victim."

haha, I diagnosed him with support of some of my friends after the breakup he himself said he is bipolar and depressed. I did not see all of the bipolar traits in him though - and once he finally spit me out like garbage, it took me a long time to wake up and see the truth.

It took me two years to fully recover from everything.

It is my own fault that I stayed so long - I know I was stupid. I don't need pity or sympathy, I was just dumb, I know that.

No...BUT..it’s the same with abuse....there are warning signs to all types of unhealthy relationships tho....

It’s wonderful you are “fully recovered”....but most of us don’t give attention to mentally unstable men....IMO anyways......

Old 11-04-2019, 01:48 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
I was unable to read the article thanks to adblocker, but here's a general phenomenon I've observed on CD:

Step 1: Clickbaity article from half-assed (tabloid) website takes a scientific study and blows its conclusions out of proportion.

Step 2: CD members hugely agree with conclusions based on anecdotal evidence from their personal lives, and the general perception of "Oh that must be true because it's so intuitively obvious."

Did anyone try to read the actual study and see whether or not the results/data are sensible and statistically significant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology