Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 02:14 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
25% of the prison population of 200,000 is a lot more psychopaths than 20% of CEOs A N D...

A N D...the link title you have says *psychopathic TRAITS*......that’s not a APA diagnosed psychopath. That’s more of how people throw around & confuse a diagnosis with a trait or characteristic. Depression is the same way...exaggerated & overused. Bipolar too.......if someone is moody one day, people want to slap on the bipolar diagnosis right away...& someone will say “she’s so bipolar” or she is acting bipolar....but that’s not being diagnosed as bipolar. It’s all so over & exaggerated IMO....e d i t: to a very harmful degree. It’s crude to use a DSM 5 clinical dx to label people by people that aren’t doctors.....
Ok I guess you don't want to believe it. But there are many peer-reviewed studies showing the ratios of psychopaths in prisons are the same as those in top corporations.

If the topic interests you, may I recommend "The Psychopath Test" by John Ronson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 02:29 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I was unable to read the article thanks to adblocker, but here's a general phenomenon I've observed on CD:

Step 1: Clickbaity article from half-assed (tabloid) website takes a scientific study and blows its conclusions out of proportion.

Step 2: CD members hugely agree with conclusions based on anecdotal evidence from their personal lives, and the general perception of "Oh that must be true because it's so intuitively obvious."

Did anyone try to read the actual study and see whether or not the results/data are sensible and statistically significant?

Ita....& I didn’t even try to read it tho...I can’t click on it but I read the titles in the link.....& psychopathic traits aren’t DSM 5 psychopaths......

People can be depressed.....but not suffer from major depression.....

True psychopaths are rare.....& a big proportion of them are in prison....A N D...we aren’t all attracted to them......laughs....

Old 11-04-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Ok I guess you don't want to believe it. But there are many peer-reviewed studies showing the ratios of psychopaths in prisons are the same as those in top corporations.

If the topic interests you, may I recommend "The Psychopath Test" by John Ronson.

I’ve learned all I need to learn about APD’s in my psych nursing clinical rotation.......but I do get intrigued by some of the shows on ID that have portrayed them....A N D....there is no “test” that can diagnose a psychopath. There are many points & a full history & assessment that go into this very serious diagnosis........a psychopath has no conscience.........

BUT.....I just want to stick up for other women on this thread tho...& say we aren’t all attracted to psychopaths & mentally disturbed men....give us more credit “for Pete’s sakes”....

Old 11-04-2019, 04:07 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
No...BUT..it’s the same with abuse....there are warning signs to all types of unhealthy relationships tho....

It’s wonderful you are “fully recovered”....but most of us don’t give attention to mentally unstable men....IMO anyways......
Not sure why you are so snippy. I just told my story - I said I was dumb, what else do you want?

And it is abuse - you know, violence is easier to detect - if he would have hit me, I'd be at the cops within an hour. But manipulation and brainwashing - different story, it creeps up on you, there is no real evidence or the fact of a bloody nose. Words can be interpreted and twisted and used against you in a way that makes you wonder what is real and what isn't.

I didn't want to make this thread about me - I just said they can be pretty charming and by the time you realize that person is sick in their head - your mind makes all sorts of excuses for them.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:08 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
I’ve learned all I need to learn about APD’s in my psych nursing clinical rotation.......but I do get intrigued by some of the shows on ID that have portrayed them....A N D....there is no “test” that can diagnose a psychopath. There are many points & a full history & assessment that go into this very serious diagnosis........a psychopath has no conscience.........

BUT.....I just want to stick up for other women on this thread tho...& say we aren’t all attracted to psychopaths & mentally disturbed men....give us more credit “for Pete’s sakes”....
nobody said that

Old 11-04-2019, 04:23 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
What is achievable during a psychopath's (EDIT: bipolar, manic depressives) episode of mania is often beyond what a level headed person would be able to accomplish. Someone can be super charming, ultra productive, or extremely focused. It is like emotional and mental adrenaline.

I want to clarify that some bearing charming traits aren't all necessarily doing so completely detached, looking to lure in their next victim. Some are truly relishing the euphoria and fruits of their enhanced social engagement.

This can work wonders when scheduling a couple of dates per week. The drawbacks crop up when the person cancels due to more depressive states conflicting with planned outings, which raises the risk of the date being cancelled altogether. Same for long term relationships, the more time two people spend together, the greater chance someone will see the dark side and notice the individual is "not themselves".

They can function in a normal life, but only at their convenience. Deadline based work will yield higher and better output than a constant-production based environment for the same reasons mentioned above. If you're scheduled for 40 hours per week, you might get 10 hours of A-player engagement, maybe 20, perhaps 30 sometimes. But the "off" hours will severely impact work quality if he or she is expected to be "on" for all 40 hours.

Last edited by ddm2k; 11-04-2019 at 04:43 PM..

Old 11-04-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Not sure why you are so snippy. I just told my story - I said I was dumb, what else do you want?

And it is abuse - you know, violence is easier to detect - if he would have hit me, I'd be at the cops within an hour. But manipulation and brainwashing - different story, it creeps up on you, there is no real evidence or the fact of a bloody nose. Words can be interpreted and twisted and used against you in a way that makes you wonder what is real and what isn't.

I didn't want to make this thread about me - I just said they can be pretty charming and by the time you realize that person is sick in their head - your mind makes all sorts of excuses for them.

I wasn’t being snippy........ e d i t: & I am so sorry you read it that way....

I’m sorry you had the experience you had....most of my comments have been about the medical diagnosis of psychopaths because I am an RN &.....because the thread title is about women being attracted to them....

Old 11-04-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
What is achievable during a psychopath's episode of mania is often beyond what a level headed person would be able to accomplish. Someone can be super charming, ultra productive, or extremely focused. It is like emotional and mental adrenaline.

A psychopath does not experience mania tho...per the DSM they have no conscience. They have an inability to feel empathy....

Manic depressives...or bipolar....have episodes of mania....& that is much easier for a psychiatrist to diagnose......

Old 11-04-2019, 04:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
A psychopath does not experience mania tho...per the DSM they have no conscience. They have an inability to feel empathy....

Manic depressives...or bipolar....have episodes of mania....& that is much easier for a psychiatrist to diagnose......
That was what I was thinking of... thank you!

Old 11-04-2019, 04:52 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I was unable to read the article thanks to adblocker, but here's a general phenomenon I've observed on CD:

Step 1: Clickbaity article from half-assed (tabloid) website takes a scientific study and blows its conclusions out of proportion.

Step 2: CD members hugely agree with conclusions based on anecdotal evidence from their personal lives, and the general perception of "Oh that must be true because it's so intuitively obvious."

Did anyone try to read the actual study and see whether or not the results/data are sensible and statistically significant?
First of all, this.

I don't know if it is the OP, but there is a poster I noticed posted link after link to articles on this particular website, the Daily Mail. If nothing else, it seems to be oft-referenced by some.

Media Bias Checker says it is a very strongly Right/Alt-Right biased source, guilty of propaganda, conspiracy, and outright fake stories.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-mail/

So I'm not even reading that article, thanks.

What does seem obvious to me, AND is backed by anecdotal evidence from my own experiences, is that there are some people who are vulnerable most of the time for some reason of their own, and there are MOST people who are vulnerable SOME of the time for reasons that will pass through their lives. Abusers and your dark-triad types, are predatory, often, and predatory people, target vulnerable people. It is how they find victims to abuse. I've been a victim of abuse, and looking back I feel like I could say I was "dumb" but the reality is I was vulnerable. Maybe because I was young and cast adrift of family support...or because I was going through a terrifying emotional disaster of a breakup. But when I was older/wiser, and when I was recovered from the worst of my immediate trauma, in other words, when I was less vulnerable...these individuals I had regrettable and damaging involvements with, would not have a chance with me.

Life is hard. People can be vulnerable. We cannot all be rock-solid, all the time. There usually is not a shortage of vulnerable people who can be deceived, manipulated, coerced, preyed upon, and it isn't a vulnerable person's fault that they are vulnerable either. A lot of the time, they don't know just how much so they are, until/unless they recover and look back on things from a different perspective. Saying that psychopaths are "attractive to women" is...oversimplifying the matter. A lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology